Fate - Believe it or not...

meggie

Elite Member
Monday Jan. 9th 2012

It's Summer here in Australia and I was on the beach this afternoon at a small seaside resort checking out the wet sand when I was approached by a stranger.
He asked me a few usual questions then showed me a gold soccer ball on a silver chain around his neck.
He said he had lost a similar one on a chain this same week on this same beach last year whilst up on holidays.
Well I told him that I hadn't and we parted our ways.

My next signal not five minutes later and I had his item in my hand,I just knew it was his. :)
It was about a half inch in size & had a bit of weight to it too.

I looked up to see where he had gone & spotted him up on the beach wall heading to the car park.
Well I ran as fast as I could & shouted out to him.
He came running over & I said I think we have won the Jackpot and opened my hand to him to reveal his gold soccer ball & tarnished silver chain.It was identical to the one around his neck.

At first he was speechless then he got a bit emotional and thanked me over & over,finally grabbing me for a big hug.
He was probably about 35 to 40 years old & said the gold ball was a gift from his Aunt when he was 9 years old,she had bought it whilst on holidays in Italy.
He wanted to reward me but I told him his happiness was enough for me. :-[

I have hit this beach hard probably 20 to 30 times over the last year, so what where the chances of finding it today not 10 minutes after meeting the person who had lost it 12 months ago.

Unfortunately today was one of the few that I didn't have my camera with me so I couldn't record it.

I must say it was a most rewarding experience & ranks as one of my better finds.

Meggie ...

Tuesday Jan. 10th 2012

Well I was still kicking myself today for not getting any photo's or even exchanging our details.

So on a whim I decided to go back again this afternoon to see if I could spot him & hope that he was still holidaying there.

I had been on the beach about 20 minutes when he came marching towards me with his wife.
They were very pleased to see me again and they too wanted photo's taken.

They are renting a house overlooking the beach & had been looking out in case I returned.

We also exchanged our details so we could keep in touch.

So the day ended perfectly & I was so pleased to have been able to record it all.:cool:

Meggie ...

Attachments

• DSCN2143a.jpg
    DSCN2143a.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,589
  • DSCN2146.JPG
    DSCN2146.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,592
  • DSCN2147a.jpg
    DSCN2147a.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,593
That's a really nice story Meggie. It's a lovely feeling when you get to do
something like that. :clap:

I've only just made contact again with a chap I know who moved out to
NSW (Moss Vale) a few years ago. What part are you in ?

Great Story. A GREAT find. I bet you were as excited as he was. One of my best finds was when I helped find a wedding ring. Nice story that promotes our hobby too! CONGRATS!
:hat3:

That's super cool! I bet the guy was stoked!

Years ago I lost a very sentimental watch swimming at a place that I hadn't been to since I was a kid. I was crushed. The next day my mom calls and said "hey, I think your brother found your watch yesterday".

He had been to the same place as me on the same day and we both hadn't been there for years before that.

I know how the guys feels about getting his necklace back!

Wow that's a great story. I am happy for both of you. That great story will last a lot longer than the dollars you would have got if you sold it. Thanks for sharing it. :grin:

That is one of the best stories I've read about on here. Like Patton, KT, and others, you have made my day also. Thank you for sharing and Happy Hunting to you!

Amazing, what are the odds of a random guy asking you a question and you finding the item lost over a year ago that very same day? Wow!

Back
Top Bottom