1700's square nail?

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Every square nail I have ever found had a head, this one does not?
Also, it is almost perfectly square, whereas most are usually "flatter" in other words rectangular in cross section.
This was from an 1840's farmhouse, was over 9" deep with other iron, and is not too rusty considering.
Could it have been forged?

Attachments

• 3-20-17 square nail 1.jpg
    3-20-17 square nail 1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 3-20-17 square nail 2.jpg
    3-20-17 square nail 2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 3-20-17 square nail 3.jpg
    3-20-17 square nail 3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Finally, something I've actually learned a lot about!

In the 1800s square nails were actually cut, and you can tell which ones were because they actually have a rectangular cross-section. The truly square cross-section nails (like yours seems to be) would have been hand made, and since the top was added on by hand they tend to pop off. So yours may be one of the earlier pre-1800s nails. Whenever I start finding those I know I'm in an old area. Nice!

In the 1800s square nails were actually cut, and you can tell which ones were because they actually have a rectangular cross-section. The truly square cross-section nails (like yours seems to be) would have been hand made, and since the top was added on by hand they tend to pop off. So yours may be one of the earlier pre-1800s nails. Whenever I start finding those I know I'm in an old area. Nice!

Thanks for the info, there is so much knowledge on this forum it's sick!

Here is one of dozens that I found around my property. They were originally imported from the UK in kegs by the colonies for ship building, etc before iron was an industry in the US. Being so valuable and such a process to make, I can't imagine how so many were lost. I've heard pioneers would burn a home down, pick out the nails to save them for the next house, and move on...but I'm not sure if that's true. Lots of interesting facts about nails, who knew. I'm still trying to come up with some art or repurpose for them.

Attachments

• 2017-03-21 19.00.08.jpg
    2017-03-21 19.00.08.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 177
Here is one of dozens that I found around my property. They were originally imported from the UK in kegs by the colonies for ship building, etc before iron was an industry in the US. Being so valuable and such a process to make, I can't imagine how so many were lost. I've heard pioneers would burn a home down, pick out the nails to save them for the next house, and move on...but I'm not sure if that's true. Lots of interesting facts about nails, who knew. I'm still trying to come up with some art or repurpose for them.

It is an urban legend of sorts. Nobody burned a perfectly good structure down just for the nails. I guess if an accidental fire occurred, they might salvage what was left, possibly even nails, but even that sounds unlikely.

It is an urban legend of sorts. Nobody burned a perfectly good structure down just for the nails. I guess if an accidental fire occurred, they might salvage what was left, possibly even nails, but even that sounds unlikely.

That was my feeling as well.

Back
Top Bottom