Let's talk sand scoops

beeryboats

I'm looking forward to my first beach trip and need a sand scoop. I'll be flying down so something without a handle is fine. On Ebay, I see plastic, aluminum, stainless, and galvanized steel. And I see hole sizes from what looks like an inch down to just a couple millimeters. Anyone willing to pass on some pointers?

Nothing larger than half an inch. Did you decide to stay in the dry sand with your At-Pro or are you going to attempt the water?

I guess I'll see where it works best and work out from there. I think it's odd that a water proof detector does not work that well in salt water. It's so tough to find anywhere to hunt here in Indy. And when you do find a spot it's full of trash. Really looking forward to the beach.

I'm really leaning toward a stainless hand scoop vs. a plastic one. I don't want to have to pack a long handled scoop. And I think galvanized is a waste of money. I just got an email from Whites, they have a nice stainless scoop for $30.
Jay

I made a trip to FL. last year took the ATP played in the sand used a plastic scoop did ok . We found that early morning was best time before the beach machines came out . Early evening was ok just after the crowd starts heading home . We did not hunt at nite , being on a family vacation we had a lot of other activities to do . Use a lot of sunscreen and hat , ya can get a burn even with cooler temps . One thing sand hunting can have ya chasing a target so I Did best kneeling with a PP . That was my first time in the sunshine state sands .
GL. ,,,,,HH

For travel I would check this RTG Scoop out.

I'm sure a few vendors on here sell this in the Stainless or Aluminum variety.

ea6f8d26c5ba948d85f81846bc023e10.jpg

Stop stirring the pot Raider . Lol

I was just making a statement and being truthful as what do I know about sand scoops ?? Zero Nada Nothing lol

Someone call Earl please. Hahahaha
Howboutit !!!! ❤

I'm looking forward to my first beach trip and need a sand scoop. I'll be flying down so something without a handle is fine. On Ebay, I see plastic, aluminum, stainless, and galvanized steel. And I see hole sizes from what looks like an inch down to just a couple millimeters. Anyone willing to pass on some pointers?

If you're not regularly on the beach, I' suggest you go to your local pet shop and get a plastic grain scoop. Drill holes no larger than 5/8". That will cost you about $10 and the 5/8" holes will rescue dimes and rings. 1" holes would let quarters fall through and if the holes are too small, the sand won't sift quick enough. I used one of these as my first beach scoop and it lasted about a year.

R5

Stop stirring the pot Raider . Lol

I was just making a statement and being truthful as what do I know about sand scoops ?? Zero Nada Nothing lol

Someone call Earl please. Hahahaha
Howboutit !!!! ❤

:cool:

R5

Come on Bro !!
You're killing me ..

That's like my other top movie of all time :)

Well played !!

Maximus Decimus ...Commander of the armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions , Husband of a murdered wife , Father of a murdered son and I will have.vengeance in this life or the next ;)

Sorry I forgot the name of the true Ceasar Aurelia's :(

Thanks R5. Leave it to a Raider fan to find a cheap fix. Ever look in the stands at a Raider game. Just say'n. And that's coming from a Niner fan... Love the outfits. Lol

I'm seriously in training for this trip. I had shoulder surgery in December and the doctor cut my bicep muscle loose then drilled a hole in my upper arm bone to insert the tendon. So I've been doing 12 ounce curls every night to build up my strength again. :beer:

Best movie of all time: Kelly's Heros

Thanks R5. Leave it to a Raider fan to find a cheap fix. Ever look in the stands at a Raider game. Just say'n. And that's coming from a Niner fan... Love the outfits. Lol

I'm seriously in training for this trip. I had shoulder surgery in December and the doctor cut my bicep muscle loose then drilled a hole in my upper arm bone to insert the tendon. So I've been doing 12 ounce curls every night to build up my strength again. :beer:

Best movie of all time: Kelly's Heros

Niner fan? Oh... that's different. Get that scoop with 1-1/4" holes. You won't believe how quickly it sifts sand. Just get a large enough finds pouch for all of those aluminum cans you'll be recycling. :laughing:

R5

Haa! You're killing me! All I ever find is the Miller Lite caps from my neighbor Brent anyway. A whole can would be awesome!

If you're not regularly on the beach, I' suggest you go to your local pet shop and get a plastic grain scoop. Drill holes no larger than 5/8". That will cost you about $10 and the 5/8" holes will rescue dimes and rings. 1" holes would let quarters fall through and if the holes are too small, the sand won't sift quick enough. I used one of these as my first beach scoop and it lasted about a year.

R5

I'm with Raider on this one. Unless you just like throwing money at things or you think you will use it often, go cheap. It isn't like you need something that will last for years to come.

BCD

Dont go cheap. It will break and you will end up spending more. You get what you pay for. If you think youll do more beach hunting, spend the money on quality that will last.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah...you dont really need a scoop to hunt a beach if you dont plan on making it a common ordeal...you can kick and sift with just your feet and fingers...I do this all the time in some totters that are partially sand here...You dont even need a cheap plastic feed scoop with holes drilled in it..Just go...you will be amazed at the lack of targets on the beach anyway...You will be lucky to pull 10/hr...

I've got a brace of scoops in the rig, but for a small area, or a short time, what the hell.. just kick and finger rake...it takes a lot of pennys to justify a scoop purchase, and unless you plan on doing sand a lot...Like miles and miles of it on the daily, year after horrible year...just go without for now...kick and finger rake your finds...

If however, you are gonna go hunt sand on the daily, year after horrible year of few targets and miserableness, miles and miles of hiking...get the right tool for the job and prorate it out!

Yeah...you dont really need a scoop to hunt a beach if you dont plan on making it a common ordeal...you can kick and sift with just your feet and fingers...I do this all the time in some totters that are partially sand here...You dont even need a cheap plastic feed scoop with holes drilled in it..Just go...you will be amazed at the lack of targets on the beach anyway...You will be lucky to pull 10/hr...

I've got a brace of scoops in the rig, but for a small area, or a short time, what the hell.. just kick and finger rake...it takes a lot of pennys to justify a scoop purchase, and unless you plan on doing sand a lot...Like miles and miles of it on the daily, year after horrible year...just go without for now...kick and finger rake your finds...

If however, you are gonna go hunt sand on the daily, year after horrible year of few targets and miserableness, miles and miles of hiking...get the right tool for the job and prorate it out!

Well, screw it! If it's that much fun I'll just leave everything at home and sell it when I get back. Maybe I'll go fishing instead...

Back
Top Bottom