Relics Everywhere!

spenglure

Elite Member
Been meaning to post for a few days. Well, the weather was great a few days back, so decided to hit a new permission site. This particular site is currently plowed, but used to have two different homesteads that were torn down. Needless to say, very trashy! Lots of modern cans, metal scrap, iron fragments, foil, wires, you name it. Wasn't looking great. Decided to wander around to gain an understanding of the site, and started to find broken bottle tops (old ones) and relics right on the surface! The first relic was a small glass vial - looks old! I like it! I started finding other old relics scattered on the surface - an old horseshoe (no pic), a marble, a metal button... things were looking up. Walked along the side of the field next to an old 1890s house (still standing). Digging junk left and right, and mostly miscellaneous pieces of scrap metal. Always frustrating as these objects typically produce high tones. All the sudden I got a solid, compact, 57/58 signal on the T2. Was thinking, nickel? Yep, BOOM - an 1898 V in great shape! Detected the field for another two hours without a coin. Headed back to my truck and lying there right on the surface was an old 1800s sleigh bell. Now, I'm not much of a relics guy but this thing is pretty cool! Tired and sore, I made my way toward the truck. Just before I reached the truck, I hit a solid 89/90 signal. I was thinking, could this be my first ever silver quarter in two years of detecting? Unfortunately, it was not! But still a very cool find - an old S.O.C.O. padlock circa 1909 - in great shape! I'm not a relic guy by any means, but this was a fun hunt, and a nice change of pace for a coin shooter!

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpg
    IMG_2434.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 378
  • frgh.jpg
    frgh.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_2439.jpg
    IMG_2439.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 350
Congrats , never know what ya will find at a site like that , nice mix , congrats H H

Those are some really neat finds! There's no telling what might pop up at that site. Keep swinging and digging.

beephead

With patience and determination, I am sure this is just the beginning of some great finds on that site.:yes: It certainly has GREAT potential. That V Nickel is in exceptional shape.:D Good luck on your future hunts !! Keep us informed.:yes:

Nice finds.

Sounds like a challenging site.

Congrats

Oh yeah. Challenging indeed. So much trash everywhere that you start to lose confidence after a while. But that next signal might be a good one. Never know! I hope there is some silver here!

With patience and determination, I am sure this is just the beginning of some great finds on that site.:yes: It certainly has GREAT potential. That V Nickel is in exceptional shape.:D Good luck on your future hunts !! Keep us informed.:yes:

Thanks so much! I will keep everyone up to date on this site. I've never found a crotal bell before. No idea if these are common or not. I hear some detectorists really like them. Also a lot of shot gun shell head stamps here.

Do you find many nickels in your hunts? Lately I am finding more V nickels than buffalos or moderns. No idea why. I dig a fair number of low tones and hunt older sites. Maybe that's why?

I do find a fair amount of nickels. Could be in my area is just not as old an area. Someday it will happen!

I do find a fair amount of nickels. Could be in my area is just not as old an area. Someday it will happen!

It will happen! My whole first year I never dug a single V-Nickel or Buffalo. Then for some reason in my second year of detecting I started finding old nickels! I think it was a matter of knowing my machine for me.

Back
Top Bottom