Bounty Hunter Platinum vs Whites TreasureMaster

Benevo_Malevo

Hello all!

I'm just starting out on my treasure hunting/metal detecting adventures after 20 years of wishing I had a metal detector! I live in Southwest Florida, so beaches are going to be a big part of my hunting area as well as historic inland areas and river banks.

I'm finally able to buy a decent entry level detector and need some advise.

I have $300 to work with. I'm going for either the Bounty Hunter Platinum or the Whites TREASUREmaster (NOT the Pro version).

I understand that the Bounty Hunter isn't good for wet salt water sand areas, but the Whites has the beach option that will allow hunting in that particular area. However, hunting in that said area isn't too much of a concern for me since there's plenty of dry sand areas to search.

I suppose I'm wondering if the Whites detector is just as good as the Bounty Hunter for the other applications? (Dry sand, inland, fresh water river banks.)

From what I'm told via a rep at metaldetectors.com, the Bounty Hunter is going to be my best option if I don't care too much about the wet salt water sand areas. That being said, do I WANT to be able to search those areas? Would I be missing out if I don't have the option to search that type of ground?

I apologize in advance for so many questions. I just want to get it right.

Thanks in advance, also!

Current situation

This is what I'm currently staring at with an itchy clicking finger. I think it's a good deal. (20 dollars off with a coupon code, the list price for the detector says 500+ dollars, free shipping for orders over 100, and by spending 300 I get a free pinpointer.)

Attachments

• Detector.jpg
    Detector.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 686
You'll want to hit that wet sand and get in the water also, it's just too tempting not to... like a moth to a lightbulb. That said, I do have a BH Plat Pro (as it was my first detector) and did a write up here comparing it to the AT Pro... https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=242350

Just ignore the AT Pro parts, but it does go into depth about the BH Plat.

I don't have any experience with the Whites detector, but if it'll let you search the wet beach, I'd get that one.

This is what I'm currently staring at with an itchy clicking finger. I think it's a good deal. (20 dollars off with a coupon code, the list price for the detector says 500+ dollars, free shipping for orders over 100, and by spending 300 I get a free pinpointer.)

I know you don't want to hear this, but that pinpointer is junk. I have one. Also, that's pretty much a "packaged deal" most of our sponsors here could beat. Look on the main page top right for a list of sponsors. Check out their sites, and call for an even better price than can be advertised. They may not have much price flexibility because those are low cost overhead detectors, but it's worth a try at least.

Interesting information regarding the BH Platinum. The one I'm looking at isn't the pro version, but I see that's a good thing considering I can upgrade the coil at a later date. Thank you for the information.

As for the Whites, I'm not sure how effective it is in the wet sand. I just know I was told that it has the "Beach" option which is good for wet salt water sand. I'm sure I could actually get into the water a bit because it's a waterproof coil as well. I know you're not familiar with the Whites detectors, but I'd really like to know if the performance in areas other than wet sand is at least on par with the BH Platinum. This is such a hard decision... Lol

Interesting information regarding the BH Platinum. The one I'm looking at isn't the pro version, but I see that's a good thing considering I can upgrade the coil at a later date. Thank you for the information.

As for the Whites, I'm not sure how effective it is in the wet sand. I just know I was told that it has the "Beach" option which is good for wet salt water sand. I'm sure I could actually get into the water a bit because it's a waterproof coil as well. I know you're not familiar with the Whites detectors, but I'd really like to know if the performance in areas other than wet sand is at least on par with the BH Platinum. This is such a hard decision... Lol

The only difference between the Plat and the Plat Pro IS that larger coil. While I like the larger coil to get a little deeper and cover ground faster, I took a bullet for not getting the regular Plat and just purchasing the larger coil separate. Basically for the cost of the Pro, I could have bought the regular Plat with both coils. Like $20 difference.

In any dry ground/sand, you should be fine with the Plat. It's the wet sand and salt mineralization that really screws with single frequency detectors. Basically in those conditions, you really have to lower the sensitivity WAY down to keep from falsing constantly which kills the detectors depth. And then the constant ground balance changes from different spots from wet sand to salt water, it also drives single frequency detectors crazy from falsing.

I wish I could help you with the Whites, but no experience with those detectors.

Another thing to keep in mind, if the entire detector is not waterproof...you are taking a huge risk by venturing into the water. While the coils are waterproof, one drop/slip/trip/whatever...and you'll be needing to buy another detector. Just be careful in the water.

Ah I see. Well, that actually answers my question regarding the choice between the two. The Whites has a "Beach" mode, but it's still a single frequency detector. I think with that information, I'll go with the BH Plat. Worst case scenario, I just have to use it until I find enough valuable items to purchase another detector such as the AT Pro, just like it was mentioned in your thread.

Thank you for the info! It really helps.

Ah I see. Well, that actually answers my question regarding the choice between the two. The Whites has a "Beach" mode, but it's still a single frequency detector. I think with that information, I'll go with the BH Plat. Worst case scenario, I just have to use it until I find enough valuable items to purchase another detector such as the AT Pro, just like it was mentioned in your thread.

Thank you for the info! It really helps.

The AT Pro while fully waterproof, still is just one frequency. It's made basically for land and fresh water hunting. Salt is a whole other animal altogether, and there are multifrequency detectors that can handle it.

I know this can be kinda confusing, but there really is not one-all do-all detector out there for every situation. The best detector for you is one you can sync with, and more about where you are hunting and what you are hunting for. Salt water, fresh water, land, sand, coins, jewelry, relics, all are different and there are better suited detectors for each one.

Make yourself comfortable here, read members posts, gather all the info you can and soon you'll know much more than you thought possible. Good luck and welcome!

Thanks! I'm basically looking for anything valuable. Coins, relics, jewelry. According to my research, the BH Plat can find those things. I'm not too concerned with searching the water or wet sand to start off with. I'll have plenty of other locations to keep me busy for a long while without that particular area. Plus, it'll give me a chance to get into the groove of things before moving on to bigger and better things.

Thanks! I'm basically looking for anything valuable. Coins, relics, jewelry. According to my research, the BH Plat can find those things. I'm not too concerned with searching the water or wet sand to start off with. I'll have plenty of other locations to keep me busy for a long while without that particular area. Plus, it'll give me a chance to get into the groove of things before moving on to bigger and better things.

You'll like the BH Plat, but do consider getting the larger DD coil for it as well. It's a very light, fun detector and you can find all those things with it.

Craig (DetectingMO) at ShowMeTreasure a sponsor here sells the BH's. He'll hook you up and freaking ships fast. Look into a little better pinpointer, like a Garrett Propointer, and a real digger like a lesche. Dollar store hand shovels just don't cut it. Other than that, you should be good to go. Once you are ready to hit the beach, you'll probably need a different detector and a sand shovel, but baby steps. The BH Plat will last you awhile and help you build funds toward better gear. Get some rechargable batteries too, they'll save you a lot of money!

Just to be clear, the BH PLat would do fine on dry sand at the beach, correct? Just so long as it's not the wet sand with salt water?

Also, with that 20 dollars off, I was able to add the environmental cover for the BH as well as the 8" coil cover for a grand total of 314. 14 over budget, but that's not going to break the bank. :lol:

Just to be clear, the BH PLat would do fine on dry sand at the beach, correct? Just so long as it's not the wet sand with salt water?

Also, with that 20 dollars off, I was able to add the environmental cover for the BH as well as the 8" coil cover for a grand total of 314. 14 over budget, but that's not going to break the bank. :lol:

Yep, as long as the sand is not wet. I hunt volleyball courts all the time, same stuff. It's the wet sand that reacts with the salt. But lets say you're hunting an area just off the wet sand, like 10 ft away...keep in mind the sand could still be "wet" a few inches under the dry surface. Then you will start falsing at deep depths. So it's best to try to stay in the completely dry parts, but you'll figure it out soon and there are some tricks to help even get into the wet sand a bit. Once you learn how the detector normally reacts to such things, you do get used to it and still can have success in extreme areas although it will be limited by the detectors capabilities. That's where the real learning comes in, once you get in sync with it, learn it, challenge it and push it even further.

Damn, I'm kinda jealous again now writing that...it's an adventure alright!

Try sending a sponsor a private message. I bet they can beat most any price you find. They are good guys and not only sell the stuff, but use it as well and post here too. They will help you personally if you run into issues or concerns.

And yes, I contacted that sponsor and Craig did reply. He doesn't have the BH Plat, but does have the Whites in a bundle with a slightly better pinpointer. My only issue going that route is the headphones aren't nearly as good as the bundle for the BH Plat and I don't get the covers for either the box or the coil. He's offering a really good deal, don't get me wrong, but I think I just can't pass up getting so much with the other place. That is, of course, if the BH Plat does well on dry sand. AS long as that's the case, I'll be a happy camper. Plus, I can always test it out and return it within 7 days if I'm not happy with it. I think I'll go with the sponsors when I'm ready to spend bigger bucks.

And yes, I contacted that sponsor and Craig did reply. He doesn't have the BH Plat, but does have the Whites in a bundle with a slightly better pinpointer. My only issue going that route is the headphones aren't nearly as good as the bundle for the BH Plat and I don't get the covers for either the box or the coil. He's offering a really good deal, don't get me wrong, but I think I just can't pass up getting so much with the other place. That is, of course, if the BH Plat does well on dry sand. AS long as that's the case, I'll be a happy camper. Plus, I can always test it out and return it within 7 days if I'm not happy with it. I think I'll go with the sponsors when I'm ready to spend bigger bucks.

I hate to tell you this too, but the headphones are junk if they are the same ones that came with mine. I didn't get a coil cover or the control box cover though, but never really needed them. For a first detector you probably would want a coil cover though, you will bang it up a bit getting used to swinging your first detector. I can't think of a good remedy for better headphones unless you already have some with a 3.5mm (1/8th) jack. I used no headphones at all with my BH because it is freaking loud right from the speaker (much too loud at full volume, sometimes at night still too loud at 1/2 volume). I never used headphones till I upgraded to another detector that didn't have volume control (then I had no choice but to use the headphones).

Personally, I live in Texas and it gets freaking hot! So I pretty much skipped the headphones and went wireless with earbuds. I have used the headphones off my AT Pro, they are much more comfortable and cushy, but I'm not fond of sweating which is why I went wireless.

Yeah, they're probably not the greatest headphones, but they're the ones that actually cup the ear instead of rest on the ear. I'm sure some of this stuff will be replaced along the line, but to get everything I initially need (headphones, the pinpointer that is probably one of the worst, but is better than nothing) along with the coil cover so I don't scratch up the coil and the environmental cover for the box (to protect it in case it does start to rain or sand is blowing around) all for 314 dollars shipped seems like a decent place to start my adventure. I've been searching for several days to find the very best combo for my small budget. I do plan on getting an actual spade shovel locally because I don't want the plastic piece of junk hand trowel that comes with it. As long as I can get a decent start, the rest will eventually fall into place.

Thank you very much for all of your advice! I'll know what needs to be replaced once I'm able to do so.

Yeah, they're probably not the greatest headphones, but they're the ones that actually cup the ear instead of rest on the ear. I'm sure some of this stuff will be replaced along the line, but to get everything I initially need (headphones, the pinpointer that is probably one of the worst, but is better than nothing) along with the coil cover so I don't scratch up the coil and the environmental cover for the box (to protect it in case it does start to rain or sand is blowing around) all for 314 dollars shipped seems like a decent place to start my adventure. I've been searching for several days to find the very best combo for my small budget. I do plan on getting an actual spade shovel locally because I don't want the plastic piece of junk hand trowel that comes with it. As long as I can get a decent start, the rest will eventually fall into place.

Thank you very much for all of your advice! I'll know what needs to be replaced once I'm able to do so.

Lol, I forgot about the plastic shovel. Hilarious! It sounds like a good deal, about the same package I got. I do have to recommend against those headphones though if they are these...

They sound decent enough and have volume control for each ear, but they are hard and begin to hurt. I have a big head though. I would suggest some Sony's or something even if just $30 just for comfort. It sounds like you're all set though, and best of luck to ya! If you have any questions, just ask and make sure to post pics of your finds!!!

I most certainly will post pics of my finds! And I'll be sure to ask if I have questions. I plan on being in this hobby and on these forums for many years to come.

Back
Top Bottom