White's V3i info for those interested

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
I used to have one of these.
Anyway,,yesterday,,,was using my brother's unit to do some testing,,on some scenarios using nails and coins.

He was setting it up like he usually does,,,for best settings for unmasking in around iron and nails.

He said he usually uses ground tracking on.

Well,,,I discussed this with him a bit.

So we using what he thought was the best way to set up,,we tested.

Here's what I saw.

If you use a tracking ground balance,,,and have speed adjusted say correctly,,,this using tracking ground balance---I don't recommend.
Why??
What I would do,,is sweep the challenged target scenario,,,then sweep some adjacent junk targets and iron setting off to the side about 16" away,,,and then moved back over the challenged target scenario.
Most times V3i provided no detection on challenged target with first pass of coil,,sometimes even as many as 4 passes of coil.
If I continued to sweep the challenged target scenario,,eventually the detector would start to detect the coin by nail scenario.

Thought I would share this info.

I highly recommend if in trashy site,,or site with lots of iron,,,lock your ground tracking.
Otherwise,,you run risk of leaving some finds in the ground.

I never have used the Ground track and most I have spoken to don't either. One of the big reasons I don't is that not only do I hunt trashy areas, my soil conditions are fairly similar from a he beginning of the hunt to the end.

I was always concerned while I was digging a target my machine would be Ground balancing potentially over a another target. Causing the same or similar scenario you spoke of.

I will do a manual GB 2-3 times on the same property(per day) and hunt it that way. Just not enough variance I will stumble across in 2-3 hours that will throw my machine that far off.

I agree Ground Tracking is more of a hindrance than a benefit

I wouldn't mind,,if I had a V3 model,,to do some experimenting with.
I hear ground balance on it,,different than V3i model.

I never have used the Ground track and most I have spoken to don't either. One of the big reasons I don't is that not only do I hunt trashy areas, my soil conditions are fairly similar from a he beginning of the hunt to the end.

I was always concerned while I was digging a target my machine would be Ground balancing potentially over a another target. Causing the same or similar scenario you spoke of.

I will do a manual GB 2-3 times on the same property(per day) and hunt it that way. Just not enough variance I will stumble across in 2-3 hours that will throw my machine that far off.

I agree Ground Tracking is more of a hindrance than a benefit

You can get away with it with wide open clean fields and parks but once your in some higher trashy areas its not recommended, then at that point why bother. I run both but normally manual.

I wouldn't mind,,if I had a V3 model,,to do some experimenting with.
I hear ground balance on it,,different than V3i model.

Never tried the V3

You can get away with it with wide open clean fields and parks but once your in some higher trashy areas its not recommended, then at that point why bother. I run both but normally manual.

So the 3030 base a auto track feature on a FBS? Though it wasn't that crucial with the FBS shooting up to 28 frequencies? I've heard several say they never noise cancel the Etrac, since they claim the t makes very little difference.

Sounds like someone was using the "V" with inhibit not enabled!
You can use it that way if you keep the coil on plane with ground or sweep it a few times after stopping or digging a target.
Anyone having trouble ground balancing a V should check their coil - not for overload but for noise level!
If I use lock trac I sweep machine in auto around some and let it track then lock it.

Sounds like someone was using the "V" with inhibit not enabled!
You can use it that way if you keep the coil on plane with ground or sweep it a few times after stopping or digging a target.
Anyone having trouble ground balancing a V should check their coil - not for overload but for noise level!
If I use lock trac I sweep machine in auto around some and let it track then lock it.

Well,
There is one thing here I failed to post.
This gent,,,it took him a while to get the detector setup to hit a coin used in a coin and nail test scenario.
Way too long,,,I showed him,,basically I turned the Impact on,,ground balanced and swep and bam. And bam,,,even after sticking the coil over the pile of junk and sweeping the coin and nail scenario.

He would have to adjust,,,then sweep the "test" setup,,then adjust again,,and again.

I sure didn't like that,,,and I am very familiar with V3i detector,,I used to run one.

Back
Top Bottom