Walnut or corncob media

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Anyone tried walnut or corncob media in a tumbler ? Bought a Thumblers tumbler years ago for cleaning brass for reloading I was wondering if anyone has tried cleaning coins with this. I see alot of people use aquariam gravel which seems to me would be a little too abrasive. Any thoughts ?

If you have a key date don't tumble at all. If not key dates, dug coins really are not worth much anyhow. .I use gravel and soapy water, let them go overnight or a bit more. Just don't mix clad and copper together, turns everything a hybrid color. I don't tumble silver or anything with the green patina that I love to see.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you use the same theory we use in reloading, walnut to clean and cob to polish. The vibratory tumbler doesn't do well with real crusty or gummy coins. That said, if you miss a 57 wheat penny and it remains in the tumbler for an unknown count of cycles it will shine like the dickens! If you are cleaning clad a harbor freight roc tumbler and fish tank gravel works well.

There was a guy a few years ago that used dryer lint as a medium on non crustys...When you think about it, it makes some sense, coins in a pocket come out with a nice patina right?...

So I was curious and tried it on some cleanish wheat coppers and non key silver coins and jewelry separated of course in my Thumblers twin barrel, and by gosh, it really works well! Just dryer lint and some water to make a thick slurry...about as non abrasive as you can get... I bet it would do really good on shell casings too...

Mud

As a ammo reloader I'd suggest you stay away from the walnut. It's very effective on brass, but extremely extremely messy

I use broken glass, works great, and it turns any glass into beach glass...I just use all the glass I find while hunting...

IMG_4970_zps78c3e143.jpg

Coppers....

IMG_4997_zpsadf3db74.jpg

Zincs.....

IMG_4995_zps9a9b24ec.jpg

Canadian Cents...

IMG_5008_zps971da7d1.jpg

IMG_5013_zpsda31e442.jpg

<°)))>{

Great idea! Would not have thought of that.

Thanks, I got the idea here, I think about four years ago.. It really works well because there isn't any metal harder than glass except those tungsten carbide jobs..

<°)))>{

Now that I have enough for tumbling, I just keep the really cool colored pieces to throw in for beach glass.. At some point I'll put it all in a cool bottle..

<°)))>{

Now that I have enough for tumbling, I just keep the really cool colored pieces to throw in for beach glass.. At some point I'll put it all in a cool bottle..

<°)))>{

I'm gonna give this a try. My gf makes jewelry for friends and family and is very crafty. I'm sure she could find a good use for the tumbled glass.

Back
Top Bottom