• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

White's Spectrum XLT (used) vs. Fisher F4 (new)

WarEagle1

I've been researching MD's for about 2 months now (note that I've wanted one for about 25 years), and after many hours of research had pretty much decided on a Fisher F4. It was actually more than I'd originally planned on spending, but I learned that the ability to ground balance is a pretty big deal here where I live in Central Alabama due to the region having a wide variety of iron content in the soil. Then I ran across a used White's XLT, and learned that probable fair street value was anywhere between $300-$500 (still in my general price range for the attributes I'm interested in). My question is not which is the better detector, as I feel both will work fine for what I need. It would be nice to know some of the following aspects of both machines, and feel free to add any other attributes of significance. I plan to be primarily coin shooting and relic hunting, with the occasional trip to the beach.

1) What's the battery life like? To me 2x9V is easier to deal with than 8xAA, but give me your thoughts.

2) Any issues logistically for someone about 6 feet tall?

3) Is automatic ground balance worth the extra $$$, or is the manual process in the F4 so simple as to negate the need for it?

4) Weight - It looks like the F4 is a little over a pound lighter...will that be a big deal for someone in good health in mid-30's?

5) Stored Programs - I know that the F4 can't store programs, but most of the reviews I've read say that it's not that big of a deal because it only requires changing a couple of settings. My question for F4 users would be...does that sound right to you?, and my question to XLT users would be...how often do you use the custom programs (ie., is it essential to your regular MD'ing routinge)?

6) How easy is the pinpointing feature, and how well does it work?

7) TID segments...190 vs. 95, How much of a difference will this make for me? My thought is that it won't matter at all to start with, but after a few years of experience with it, I might wish I had the increased separation.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for all of your comments and suggestions!

Both good machines. I cant comment about the XLT as I have never used one. If I can answer anything specific about the F4 shoot me a PM.

All this only pertains to the F4

1. Batteries last about 20-30 hours.
2. Nope, I am 6 feet also. (both machines apply here)
3. Manual balance is always a nice option to have.
4. F4 is a very light machine to swing. After swinging my etrac is feels like nothing.
5. Once you get it down it will just take a min to set it up. Not a big deal.
6. DD coils can be tricky. Once you figure it out its not bad at all. It will just click one day
7. Separation in ID is not a huge deal to me. I am a fan of listening more than looking at the screen. Audio is almost ALWAYS a better indication of your target.

Did I help any at all? Hope so.

Hopefully a Whites user can answer your questions on the XLT so you can compare better.

I had a few custom programs in my XLT, when I would hit a specific site I would just check that program and be good to go. The things I liked about the XLT was the LCD ID and tone ID's, they where the best on the market and still are IMO. I also liked the fast sweep speed of the XLT. I generally used mine for relic and coin hunting at colonial cellar holes and it was awesome. I am also a big Fisher fan as I love the depth, sweep speed, and pinpointing on them. I have never used a f4 but I own a F75 and have owned a few CZ's. As for which one to buy? You will get many more features with the XLT as it is a higher end machine just be careful to get one in good condition, the newer ones have a black and gold decal and the earlier models have a rainbow one. Also get the latest software program if possible. I had the 1.1 years ago, the original was 1.0 I believe. The XLT has been out for at least 15 years, probably closer to 20. I would check out some video's on youtube and read the field test. You can't go wrong with either machine.

Thanks to both of you with some great info. I always like to get as much info as possible before making a decision. If I decide to go the XLT route, I'll definitely check the software version before making a purchase.

i just recently purchased a Fisher F70 which is my first fisher machine, i owned the XLT when they first came out but did not get much use with it as i had to sell it for financial reasons. I have been using a Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro for several years and wanted to upgrade. I have only about 20 hours on the F70 and find it to be very sensitive which is taking some adjustment on my part. I just bought a Minelab Xterra 705 which should be here this week, so i will do some comparison between the two models and see which one i like best. Fisher machines have a great reputation as do White's so i think either machine is a great choice, it think it comes down to personal preference. Hey just down the road from you in Phenix City, drop me PM if you are interested in hunting together.

Just a thought, have you considered what a lot of us in Alabama and Georgia also use to get around our challenging soil conditions...a Vaquero?

Otherwise, I would go for th XLT.
Well, I have looked at the Tesoro line of MD's, because I'd read a lot of good things about them. I guess one thing that turned me off of them was the lack of an LCD with Target ID and approximate depth. I realize from reading that everyone says once you're used to it, you primarily go by sound alone...but the techno geek in me likes the idea of being able to see it as well. Secondly, due to my ignorance in this field, I am still trying to fully understand the importance of things like notching and the use of TID segments. It seems to me like it would be pretty useful, and if it is, then I don't know how you'd go about accomplishing the same thing on a unit such as the Vaquero? But, then again, maybe you don't need to at all...just dig everything. It's a prett big grey area in my research. I've seen MD's that have over a 100 different tones as well, and I can't imagine ever being able to recognize all of those. A guy a work with did warn me about our soil, and said that the GB option is a must, but beyond that, I've had no other local input besides here on the forum. I'm certainly open to suggestions, and willing to learn any tidbits about hunting this area you're willing to divulge.

I probably won't be much help, I used a XLT for 7 years & there great machines..

Most XLT's come with a rechargeable battery pack & mine lasted around 8-10 hours on one charge, I used the same rechargeable pack for 7 years..
I'm also 6ft tall & the XLT is very well balanced..The custom programs are nice to have & I used them a few times, mostly just used the factory programs with a little tweaking..The pinpointing is awesome especially when using the vco option.. I'm sure the Fisher F4 is a awesome machine too, I just haven't had the pleasure to try one yet.. Good luck on your choice..

Well, I have looked at the Tesoro line of MD's, because I'd read a lot of good things about them. I guess one thing that turned me off of them was the lack of an LCD with Target ID and approximate depth. I realize from reading that everyone says once you're used to it, you primarily go by sound alone...but the techno geek in me likes the idea of being able to see it as well. Secondly, due to my ignorance in this field, I am still trying to fully understand the importance of things like notching and the use of TID segments. It seems to me like it would be pretty useful, and if it is, then I don't know how you'd go about accomplishing the same thing on a unit such as the Vaquero? But, then again, maybe you don't need to at all...just dig everything.

You don't have to dig everything, and screens can sometimes be deceiving.

Vaquero vs XLT...http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=62519

Between the two the XLT would be my choice, but like Digger27 says the Tesoro would be the the way to go. I've been detecting for around 30 years and am still fooled when I listen to the screen instead of the sound. By the way what city do you live in? Always looking for someone to join our little group.

I have a Prizm V and am also considering a Spectrum XLT as a backup or if I like it better as a main machine.

XLT hands down. It was Whites top of the line and is still a great machine. The F4 Is lighter but that's where the similarities end. The manual ground balance on the F4 only works in the all metal mode and not in discriminate. The XLT's ground balance procedure is very easy to do. If you want a detector to grow into between the two the XLT is the way to go. Just start with the preset programs until you get a feel for what it's telling you.

How do these old threads get resurected?, should have been buries under a thousand other posts.

My goodness!

My guess is that "dreed" searched XLT and brought this 3 year old thread......back from the dead. :lol:

How do these old threads get resurected?, should have been buries under a thousand other posts.

It's because someone a while back got wound up for people not using the search feature. I'm surprised old threads asking about a new dual frequency machine for beach hunting they heard was invented hasn't popped up yet.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom