• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Best relic detectors?

Coinboy

Elite Member
Hi everyone. I’m in the market for a good relic hunting metal detector that I can also use under water. I live in Iowa so the dirt is pretty mild here. I’d like it to be under 600$ but I’d gladly buy a used machine. Any suggestions?

Hi everyone. I’m in the market for a good relic hunting metal detector that I can also use under water. I live in Iowa so the dirt is pretty mild here. I’d like it to be under 600$ but I’d gladly buy a used machine. Any suggestions?

There are several good detectors and brands. You mite look at Garrett ATP, Minelab Vanquish 540 are just two.

You can buy any of these detectors for less than $600 used if you shop carefully. Some you can buy new for less than $500. I'm sure there are more. "Best" is totally subjective and depends on the user, ground conditions and type of relics.

Garrett AT series, Fisher F19, Teknetics G2+, Fisher F70, F75, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Patriot, Whites MXT, MX5, M6, MX Sport, MX7, Makro Racer, Makro Racer 2, Nokta Makro Kruzer, Nokta Makro Multi Kruzer, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Fors series, Nokta Anfibio, Anfibio Multi, Minelab Equinox 600 and 800, Minelab X-Terra series, Minelab Vanquish 540, XP Deus and XP ORX.

For the Pulse Induction detectors, you might be able to find a Whites TDI SL for less than $600.

If you want to go "old school" VLF beep and dig, XP Deus Lite, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, Lobo Super Traq and many more.

There are some really good ones for sale in the classifieds on this forum right now.
Jeff

Last edited:
I’m leaning towards a used AT Max

Has the AT Pro sport not working for you?:?:

Check out my YouTube Channel!-Coinboy Detecting and collecting! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFLxG6yeF6ejxaAUp6vpaow
Winner of February 2020 Vaughan Garret's Favorite Finds for my 1754 2 Reales!
“Today’s the day!”- Mel Fisher
2020 totals: SNOW SNOW AND MORE SNOW
Love to hunt for coins and relics in Iowa!

It was going to be a surprise for my father’s birthday but he got himself one first

The best detector is the one that works for you. Simple. If I wanted one solid machine that goes as deep as any , is easy to use and a good deal the plain old ATP with the 5x8 coil is a no brainer . It can be had for under 500 bucks.

I'd be willing to bet more relics have been found in the past 10 years with AT Pros than any other detector. Lots of segments in the iron range, which is good for relic hunting. Durable, waterproof, descriptive audio, focus on detecting rather than settings, etc...

Really depends on your budget, your ground and your ability.

Just my thoughts, if I didnt have a budget and was primarily a relic hunter, the Xp Deus would be high on my list, handles most ground well, even red dirt, Highly, let me say that again, Highly customizable, extremely lightweight, durable and incredibly fast.

It seems to do very well with seperation in the mid to low range conductors. And their users sing nothing but praise....they are technical though.

Downside that prevented me from pulling the trigger on it was (besides the fact I'm primarily a coin hunter)the coils were pricey and proprietary. And everything had a enclosed(I believe not user serviceable) battery to maintain. Since it more than likely be my go to machine, I was afraid id have batteries start to fail because i wouldn't be focused on maintaining them.

At pro,max or gold..Equinox 600 or 800..whites mx sport..Makro kruzer or simplex..As far as I know those are your only waterproof machines that double as a relic machine..

Back
Top Bottom