Minelabe Explorer SE Pro Settings?

medicchief

Forum Supporter
Well, after researching everything and getting some great input here, I settled on buying a ML Explorer SE. I was really looking to find a good used eTrac, but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend a bunch of money on something that I would end up not liking. With the Explorer, I can always sell it for pretty much what I paid for it. It looks to be in pretty good shape, I hope.... I've already ordered a Li-Ion battery and charger for it. Should arrive a day or so before the detector. I came close to a Safari, but wasn't impressed with what I had read and watched. The SE may not have the depth of the II series or come close to an eTrac, but it'll give me a good idea of whether I'll like the concept or not. Enough said, time for some POSITIVE advice from you Explorer/eTrac users. Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l160051.jpg
    s-l160051.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
I'm currently using the same machine, one of my favorite Explorer models. I prefer the explorer over all the other FBS units minus the CTX. I dont care what machines come out, I will ALWAYS have an old explorer in my line up. Unless they make a lightweight wireless version of the explorer that is :laughing: My advice, turn it on, noise cancel, and have fun! I would maybe throw a few coins from your pocket on the ground, just to get an idea of how a coin should sound. When you go over silver, that machine will sing to you! If I had to explain the sound it's almost "flutey" when it hits silver. I would worry about switching settings after using it for awhile, but even then, the factory settings are more than capable of the finding the goods. Good luck out there, and keep us posted!

I'm currently using the same machine, one of my favorite Explorer models. I prefer the explorer over all the other FBS units minus the CTX. I dont care what machines come out, I will ALWAYS have an old explorer in my line up. Unless they make a lightweight wireless version of the explorer that is :laughing: My advice, turn it on, noise cancel, and have fun! I would maybe throw a few coins from your pocket on the ground, just to get an idea of how a coin should sound. When you go over silver, that machine will sing to you! If I had to explain the sound it's almost "flutey" when it hits silver. I would worry about switching settings after using it for awhile, but even then, the factory settings are more than capable of the finding the goods. Good luck out there, and keep us posted!

Awesome, I'm all about tones as well. Of course I've watched numerous videos already.....also spent over a week doing research! I was glad that the one I'm getting has the smart coil on it, some seem to be listed with the older FBS coil. From what I read, the later SE's came with the smart coil.....who knows. About to meet up with a local guy that I met here on the forum, give my old Delta a few more swings! We'll post some picks, maybe a video.....Thanks, looking forward to some more input!

Medic...it’s called a “Pro” coil. The “Smart Coils” are used on CTXs and others, not yours. Don’t worry, your machine is still plenty “smart”....you just have to LIVE with it for hours and hours to understand how utterly and ridiculously good they really are. If I haven’t sent you it or you haven’t seen it....here’s an example of what you’re listening for. While the “pitch” of some iron targets might be very similar, it will sound “flat”. In this video you can tell that the sound has a “warble”...”flutey”...”musical”.
You essentially have an SEPro...but perhaps without the “Pro” logo on it. Functionality is the same. The ability of the machine to express the audio and TID in 2 dimensions makes it a lot of fun to use! https://youtu.be/OQUL87RUi58

Medic...it’s called a “Pro” coil. The “Smart Coils” are used on CTXs and others, not yours. Don’t worry, your machine is still plenty “smart”....you just have to LIVE with it for hours and hours to understand how utterly and ridiculously good they really are. If I haven’t sent you it or you haven’t seen it....here’s an example of what you’re listening for. While the “pitch” of some iron targets might be very similar, it will sound “flat”. In this video you can tell that the sound has a “warble”...”flutey”...”musical”.
You essentially have an SEPro...but perhaps without the “Pro” logo on it. Functionality is the same. The ability of the machine to express the audio and TID in 2 dimensions makes it a lot of fun to use! https://youtu.be/OQUL87RUi58

Thanks IDXMonster!

When pin-pointing, tell me about the FE - CO readout. Should they remain the same or if it changes from normal, is that an indication of an undesirable target? Like it goes from 4-28, to 30-31 when pinpointing. My thoughts are other trash near the target, don't know. The Minelab Explorer & E-TRAC Handbook by Andy Sabisch should be arriving today, maybe it will shed a lot of light on using the machine. It's not overwhelming to me, just ready to get more technical and efficient with it.

When pin-pointing, tell me about the FE - CO readout. Should they remain the same or if it changes from normal, is that an indication of an undesirable target? Like it goes from 4-28, to 30-31 when pinpointing. My thoughts are other trash near the target, don't know. The Minelab Explorer & E-TRAC Handbook by Andy Sabisch should be arriving today, maybe it will shed a lot of light on using the machine. It's not overwhelming to me, just ready to get more technical and efficient with it.

I’ll put this here Medic so others might make use of it also...when you have a target that you think might be a highly conductive coin, quickly switch to “ Iron Mask” with a totally open screen and see what happens. This is reflective of what you’re seeing in the “All Metal” pinpoint mode of the Explorer, it is now seeing the target for what it really is. If the FE numbers go way high to 28+...leave it alone for now. There are some confusing jumbled up coins hidden out there, but you simply can’t have those yet Grasshopper...

I’ll put this here Medic so others might make use of it also...when you have a target that you think might be a highly conductive coin, quickly switch to “ Iron Mask” with a totally open screen and see what happens. This is reflective of what you’re seeing in the “All Metal” pinpoint mode of the Explorer, it is now seeing the target for what it really is. If the FE numbers go way high to 28+...leave it alone for now. There are some confusing jumbled up coins hidden out there, but you simply can’t have those yet Grasshopper...

Yes Master, I do the same with my old Delta. Thanks, I'm really digging it.....literally!;)

My advice, switch to the smart find screen. If it hits top right dig it. Seriously though try the smart find screen. Just do a little air testing with coins. Most will hit top right. Try a nickel and watch where it hits. That to me is way easier than watching numbers. If the cursor doesn't jump around a lot then dig it. You will be a happy camper.

My advice, switch to the smart find screen. If it hits top right dig it. Seriously though try the smart find screen. Just do a little air testing with coins. Most will hit top right. Try a nickel and watch where it hits. That to me is way easier than watching numbers. If the cursor doesn't jump around a lot then dig it. You will be a happy camper.

What Jeff said.

Any particular FE CO number(s) for gold, that really makes you more prone to dig instead of pass, or is it the norm....dig it anyway, which it typically turns out to be a pull tab/aluminum. Dug several 08-12's today, just hoping for some fat gold!

A ring tab will lock on real good, not much bounce in numbers with them. I don't dig a lot of them. The cursor hits lower and the tone is lower but if you want the gold you gotta dig all good low tones that lock on tight. If they bounce a lot its gonna be an odd shape. When you pinpoint on can slaw listen to the higher scream in pinpoint. It's a give away for a thin but very non ferrous target. A good coin target will pinpoint with a tone that you recognize. A smashed flattened can will really give a high pitched scream when you pinpoint. Then of course there's the size of the pinpoint and even when you sweep over it. Also one thing a lot of people forget about doing is lift the coil to see if you can hit the target from much higher than a coin.
Sorry for rambling, these are some things that I think of while using an FBS machine. They are great silver killers once you get to know them.
Good luck!

A ring tab will lock on real good, not much bounce in numbers with them. I don't dig a lot of them. The cursor hits lower and the tone is lower but if you want the gold you gotta dig all good low tones that lock on tight. If they bounce a lot its gonna be an odd shape. When you pinpoint on can slaw listen to the higher scream in pinpoint. It's a give away for a thin but very non ferrous target. A good coin target will pinpoint with a tone that you recognize. A smashed flattened can will really give a high pitched scream when you pinpoint. Then of course there's the size of the pinpoint and even when you sweep over it. Also one thing a lot of people forget about doing is lift the coil to see if you can hit the target from much higher than a coin.
Sorry for rambling, these are some things that I think of while using an FBS machine. They are great silver killers once you get to know them.
Good luck!

So what is low as far as FE CO readout for gold.....any numbers that really make think more positive about digging it?

Sorry but I never use the ferrous/conductive numbers on the Explorer, I always use the cursor. If we were talking Etrac and CTX then yes I use the numbers. Mine lab changed things up when the ETrac came out. Because you are focused on gold I would dig all low tones that have numbers that don't jump alot. I gotta say though the FBS machines are more geared toward higher conductors. Don't get me wrong a wedding band will stop you in your tracks when you go over it because it sounds so smooth. If I get out today I will switch over to the numbers and look at a few, I will get back to you.

Had my Explorer for 10 years and have never used the numbers, always the smart find w/cursor. One of the reasons I really don’t care for my Etrac, the VDI feature.

......Enough said, time for some POSITIVE advice from you Explorer/eTrac users. Thanks!

Had my Explorer for 10 years and have never used the numbers, always the smart find w/cursor. One of the reasons I really don’t care for my Etrac, the VDI feature.

I picked up a used Explorer 2 with the stock 1050 (10.5") coil at the start of the month just to see what's the fuss, and also see if I can crack back open a permission that's drying up as far as silver goes. I'll save some observations until the end of the month.

Regarding numbers versus cursor, I'm leaning towards the numbers. No matter what, it's always listen first and check numbers second.

What I've been going by so far are a few general rules I created based on different charts I've seen and what I've seen myself so far in the field and some initial backyard testing with various coin and common trash targets. I've listed them below. As I get better with it I'm sure I'll develop some more exceptions and nuances to the rules, and develop my ear for them.

To start, I'm using the default coin pattern. I increase manual sensitivity until it becomes unstable or I hear EMI null out the threshold tone. Noise cancel. Adjust sensitivity again, and then back off 2-3 steps below what was barely stable. I use iron mask as needed set a couple of clicks more open than the default.

Starting Rule #1 (Silver, high conductor coins, avoiding bottle caps)
Dig everything with conductivity 24+ and Ferrous 5 and under as long as it passes basic tests of size, shape, depth, etc.. If the Ferrous is 6 or 7, it must pass those tests and preferably also have an ascending musical tone rather than a flat or broken tone.

Starting Rule #2 (Nickels)
Dig Conductivity 5, 6, 7. Again, must pass basic tests of size, shape, depth, and quality of tone.

Starting rule #3 (Rings, relics, avoiding pull tabs)
If I hear a tone I like that doesn't fit rules 1 and 2, but has ferrous 12 and under, then dig it unless it's any pair combination of 8s, 9s, or 10s. No 8-8, 9-9, 10-10, 8-9, 8-10, 9-8, 9-10, 10-8, 10-9.

Out of two hunts so far I've dug two deep silver and about 10 wheat pennies on the property, and very, very little trash dug other than what's in the hole with the coin.

Last edited:
I picked up a used Explorer 2 with the stock 1050 (10.5") coil at the start of the month just to see what's the fuss, and also see if I can crack back open a permission that's drying up as far as silver goes. I'll save some observations until the end of the month.

Regarding numbers versus cursor, I'm leaning towards the numbers. No matter what, it's always listen first and check numbers second.

What I've been going by so far are a few general rules I created based on different charts I've seen and what I've seen myself so far in the field and some initial backyard testing with various coin and common trash targets. I've listed them below. As I get better with it I'm sure I'll develop some more exceptions and nuances to the rules, and develop my ear for them.

To start, I'm using the default coin pattern and Iron Mask (as needed) set a couple of clicks more open than default. I increase manual sensitivity until it becomes unstable or I hear EMI null out the threshold tone. Noise cancel. Adjust sensitivity again, and then back off 2-3 steps below what was barely stable.

Starting Rule #1
Dig everything with conductivity 24+ and Ferrous 5 and under as long as it passes basic tests of size, shape, depth, etc.. If the Ferrous is 6 or 7, it must pass those tests and preferably also have an ascending musical tone rather than a flat or broken tone.

Starting Rule #2
Dig Conductivity 5, 6, 7. Again, must pass basic tests of size, shape, depth, and quality of tone.

Starting rule #3
If I hear a tone I like that doesn't fit rules 1 and 2, but has ferrous 12 and under, then dig it unless it's any combination of 8s, 9s, or 10s. So, for now, no 8-8, 9-9, 10-10, 8-9, 8-10, 9-8, 9-10, 10-8, 10-9.

Out of two hunts so far I've dug two deep silver and about 10 wheat pennies on the property. Very, very little trash dug other than what's in the hole with the coin.
Find a good deal on a 10x12 SEF coil and gain an extra 2” depth over stock!

To start, I'm using the default coin pattern and Iron Mask (as needed) set a couple of clicks more open than default. I increase manual sensitivity until it becomes unstable or I hear EMI null out the threshold tone. Noise cancel. Adjust sensitivity again, and then back off 2-3 steps below what was barely stable.

Starting Rule #1

Starting Rule #2

Starting rule #3
If I hear a tone I like that doesn't fit rules 1 and 2, but has ferrous 12 and under, then dig it unless it's any combination of 8s, 9s, or 10s. So, for now, no 8-8, 9-9, 10-10, 8-9, 8-10, 9-8, 9-10, 10-8, 10-9.

Out of two hunts so far I've dug two deep silver and about 10 wheat pennies on the property. Very, very little trash dug other than what's in the hole with the coin.

Good stuff ToySoldier! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom