My experience with the equinox 800 for newbies and new 800 owners.

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I thougth I might share my experience with the Equinox 800. A little about me. I started metal detecting with the Fisher original gold bug in 1987 hunting gold nuggets in North Georgia. I read the manual once and started using it. The gold bug was a good gold hunting machine.

Several years later I bought a Garrett Master Hunter ADS and then later a Fisher ID Edge. Back then I was only hunting parks and really didn’t know much about metal detecting. I kept thinking, if I just have a better metal detector I will find more good targets. Then I went on a long break from metal detecting until about 5 years ago I bought the Garrett AT Pro. Again, I thought that if I just had a better metal detector, I would find more targets. This was a little more true with the AT Pro than my other three detectors. It was a better detector and I did find more good targets.

For three years the AT Pro worked its magic because it was a great but simple to use detector. Then in March of 2018 I could not resist the lure of all the hype of the Equinox 800. Again, thinking the better detector would find me more good targets. By now you see a pattern in my buying process.

I got my detector ahead of the long wait que from a large dealer by going to a small dealer in Nevada. So instead of a 3 month wait I waited only 3 days.
Ok, happy days I was waiting on my magic 800 to arrive. During those three days I read the manual. I read all I could about the 800 on the forums. But at that early stage of release of the 800 on the metal detector forums all the information was mostly speculation.

Received the 800 in the morning and was hunting within a few hours. After my first week of use, I was ready to sell the 800. I could not make heads of tales of all the sounds the 800 was reporting. I was hunting in a very busy and trashy county park.

As time passed more experienced detectorists got their hands on the 600 and 800 and started giving honest reports on their experience. My experience was nothing like their experience. I finally realized the difference between my experience and their more positive experience was due to my general lack of experience about the art and science of metal detecting.
I will skip my year of a steep learning curve and give you the benefit of that year. Listed below is what I wished I knew during my first few months with my 800.

1. Just pick a default mode and noise cancel and ground balance and start hunting and have fun. It takes a while to learn the tones and numbers associated with your finds.
2. Don’t try to master the advanced features until you feel comfortable with the default modes. Put at least 50 hunt hours in before you tackle the advanced features.
3. Learn more of the science behind metal detecting (if you need to) from the more experience detectorists on the metal detecting forums.
4. Private Youtube videos on the 800 are practically useless for learning the 800, other than the few Minelab series of tutorials. Learn from the forum members with proven experience in metal detecting and the 800.
5. Don’t just copy settings that other 800 owners use. Learn to create your own settings based on your target types and hunt sites. See my previous post on how to do this. https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=280357
6. Learn to master the advance settings: especially, bins and tones, iron balance, recovery speed.
7. Know that increasing sensitivity for depth is not always the answer for the 800.
8. The key to the 800 is keeping it relative quiet by lowering the sensitivity and using bins and tone more than discrimination to minimize targets you are not interested in hearing loud and clear like you are with your desired targets.
9. Iron balance and recovery speed and the multi-IQ frequency capability provides a detector that is very good at finding targets that other detectors have missed and even relative shallow targets due the masking effect of ferrous and non-ferrous targets co-mingled in the ground. This masking effect has kept many good targets hidden for a long time. These previously hidden targets are now being reported as good finds quite frequently on the forums and many good finds were found in so called “hunted out” parks.
10. The key is to set your machine up in the most optimized manner to have a quiet running machine. I don’t care how deep other detectors can find a coin they cannot find the coin if it is hidden in the background noise of trash and mineralization. The 800 can be set up to be a very quiet machine with a little a little effort on the operator’s part.
11. At first chance buy the 6” and 15” coil and use them where appropriate.
12. Always use headphones to hear those very quite, good signals that a quiet running 800 can produce and not be masked by a nearby leaf blower or airplane on approach.
13. Ditch the standard ML-80 wireless earphones. In my opinion they are kind of muddy sounding. I use the Miccus SR-71 via the WM-08 module for better fidelity.
14. Learn to judge depth with the audio modulation provided in the pinpoint mode on the 800 since the depth indicator on the 800 is basically worthless in my opinion.
15. Hunt by tones and use the numerical display and change of frequency to further confirm a good target from a bad target.
16. Learn to master 50 tones. It takes a while, use your test garden.
17. #15 is not very effective when hunting rings, so if you want rings it is mostly dig all type of hunting.
18. The 800 is barely ok in terms of balance. Shorting the shaft and using the coil closer to your feet will take some strain off your wrist. This makes for less wider swings, but it is a trade-off between comfort and coverage.
19. Get a swing harness for the 15” coil.
20. Remove your coil covers from time to time and clean out the sand. Especially for beach hunters.
21. Take your 800 swimming early in the game to see if it leaks so you can get it repaired under warranty for free if it does. The take the returned repaired unit swimming for the same reason.
22. Buy books on the 800. There are 3-4 good ones out there, but you will have to find them on your own.
23. Learn more about the science of metal detecting. For instance, why do you really ground balance? What is the real purpose of adjusting your recovery speed setting. What affect does mineralization have on your sensitivity setting? There are more than a few forum members who have answered these questions or will answer them accurately.
24. Lean how to get more good targets under your 800. This means finding better beach locations, learning to read ocean beaches and doing your research and getting better permissions. Hint: A good researched permission hunted with a Garret Ace will produce more good finds than a poorly researched hunt site hunted with an 800.
25. A good test garden of buried good targets and junk targets is a great learning tool to use for mastering the 800. Don’t forget to bury a couple of dimes at different depths to practice your use of the pinpoint feature to judge depth of a target.
26. There will come a moment after many months when you finally get it and start being at one with the 800 and never doubting its abilities.
27. Get off the “if I just had a better detector” band wagon now that you have the 800. You have one of the best and it will be a leading detector for a long time just like the AT Pro was in its time.
28. Expand your research of good sites further from your home.
29. When you find a site that is giving up some good targets like wheats and Indian head pennies, slow down and hunt that site carefully.
30. If you even go to ocean beaches just on your weekly vacation, learn to read beaches.
31. Do not use any cover on your control unit in the summer heat. Do not leave your 800 in a closed car in the summer heat.
32. Don’t bang your coil against anything, the mounting flanges are not as strong as they could have been.
33. The 800 is a hot machine so empty your hole of all ferrous and non-ferrous targets before covering your hole. The 800 has a reputation for finding very small pieces of ferrous and non-ferrous metals and this can be frustrating. A good target could be still hiding in the hole.
34. Don’t expect rock solid display numbers. The 800 is a bit jumpy because it is reporting all that it sees below the coil and rarely is it just a single non-ferrous target under the coil. Having a more narrow numerical display range of 50 rather than 99 does not help. Get used to it, because that is just the way it is.
35. The 800 is not a beep and dig machine, it takes a lot longer to master the 800. Until you master the 800 it is more like a beep, boop, beep and dig and dig and pinpoint and pinpoint and dig more machine in trashy areas.
36. If the 800 reports a brief display number for at type of target like 26-27 you will most likely find a clad or silver dime. The 800 is very good at reporting good targets among junk.
37. Eliminating bottle caps is easy – eliminating aluminum screw caps is impossible.
38. Check your settings carefully before every hunt. Remember they are saved from the previous hunt. For instance on one hunt I had to crank down the sensitivity and on the next hunt I was not finding as much as I thought I should only to see that the sensitivity was on 17 from the previous hunt and on the new site it should have been about 22.
39. Re-visit your older hunt sites that you hunted with other detectors. Don’t be afraid to hunt those sites heavily hunted by other detectorists. The 800 can find items that other detectors could not pick out of the trash. This is one of the main design features of the 800.
40. An interview with one of the 800 designers revealed that the physical depth limit of modern detectors has for the most part been reached due to physics so the Minelab engineers concentrated on designing detector improvements for the 800 to find previously hidden targets due to masking by ferrous metals.
41. Read and re-read the 800 Equinox manual. Especially learn what the setting are for in the default modes and what those settings mean. This gives you a much better idea on when to use different modes for different hunt sites.
42. A successful hunt with the 800 is determined by the operator knowledge.

Last edited:
Most of what you suggest is good for most any detector, I subscribe to #25 and #27 for most Minelabs, lots of different beeps and numbers. I have the X-Terra 705, practice practice and more practice. To be successful, you have to enjoy it even when you find junk or nothing. I'm not jumping on the Equinox train unless you count the 2018 Chevy Equinox I bought my wife lol. I'll hold out for the CTX3030, and not as a replacement, but as an addition to my arsenal. I did the same thing from Garret to Fisher and now Minelab, stick with your equipment till it no longer produces is a good motto, if it never produces...it might just be you:digginahole:

Most of what you suggest is good for most any detector, I subscribe to #25 and #27 for most Minelabs, lots of different beeps and numbers. I have the X-Terra 705, practice practice and more practice. To be successful, you have to enjoy it even when you find junk or nothing. I'm not jumping on the Equinox train unless you count the 2018 Chevy Equinox I bought my wife lol. I'll hold out for the CTX3030, and not as a replacement, but as an addition to my arsenal. I did the same thing from Garret to Fisher and now Minelab, stick with your equipment till it no longer produces is a good motto, if it never produces...it might just be you:digginahole:

I am not really advocating the 800 to newbies. In fact newbies to the hobby would be better served by getting an Ace or Vanquish rather than starting with the 800 or CTX 3030.

But based on this forum and other metal detecting forums it seems that there are newbies who have bought the 800 or are considering the 800. This experience is for them. You are right, a lot of the points apply to any metal detector, but newbies on the 800 especially need these pointers.

maxxkatt.
A very nice wright up.
I’ve been detecting for 50 years.
I first started with the White 5500 coinmaster. Then I went to the Minelab xterra70 which is a very good Detector and still being sole. I upgraded to the 800 which I believe to be a upgrade and a takeoff of the XTerra 70/705. So it was an easy change for me. I had five coils for the xterra70 to cover the frequency range and now with the 800 I only need two , 6”and 11”.
To an non experienced detectoris the 800 can be a little confusing. But Minelab made it so it can run right out of the box for them with great success. And for the experience the bells and whistles are there. It is easy for the novice to play with the settings who’d if they get confused can easily revert back to Factory settings.
And yes the 800 is outperforming the AT Pro.
I like going to places that they say has been over detected which means they’ve cleaned the trash out for me.
I do change my settings all the time and for new locations.
I’ve went to the carbon fiber shaft (Steve’s) with the counter weight to offset the weight of the coil and also going from a three part pin shaft to a two shaft system with cam lock with no pins to line up.
The 800 is so much better with the multi frequency, 5 freq at one time and with all the bells and whistles for the experience detectorist.
Doug

I cannot stress enough the importance of maxxkatt's #3, #23, and #41 if you have bought the Equinox because you hoped it is one of the best metal detectors available for a reasonable price (it is) AND because you wanted to become a better metal detector user.

If you are a newbie, relative newbie or have no experience with mid to high end detectors and bought it to turn it on and go find stuff once or twice a month or for use when you go on vacation, you probably bought the wrong detector. If you were believing from what you heard, that "this detector was so great it will do all of the work if I just turn it on and start swinging it", that is a belief that is way off base. The same goes for any complicated metal detector. I have heard some people in person and on these forums say the Equinox, Etrac, CTX 3030, XP Deus, F75, are actually easy detectors to use and learn (I have never heard anyone say that about the White's V3 series....). Those folks must be total geniuses, have no grip on reality or, they were content with the default settings with a few tweaks and called it good, no need to go any deeper.

After getting to know the Equinox, I would practically never recommend it to anyone with no or very little experience metal detecting with a "grown-up" detector. I don't care about Minelab's hype, the Equinox is just not for beginners or for people who are not willing to learn what metal detecting is all about.........the new Minelab Vanquish on the other hand, is definitely for absolutely anyone at any level and I'm not criticizing it here. The Vanquish series is an amazing group of entry level detectors.

The Equinox is certainly not the hardest detector I have tried to learn. But, it does have some features that just don't act like normal VLF detectors and need a good bit of study and patience (and ignoring what you might have learned on another detector!!!) to understand them. Like Donut, I used Minelab X-Terra series detectors before moving to the Equinox, so I had a head start learning the Nox. How Multi IQ technology works is a good place to start and the information is out there. How to use all of these features effectively beyond the default settings has taken quite a bit of some study and practice on my end and I am definitely not a newbie.

After 2000+ hours, I do know what is under my coil when I'm coin and jewelry hunting about 90% of the time. When I'm relic hunting its more like 75% if I am using one of the Park or Field modes. Using the Gold modes for relic hunting and especially for prospecting it is more like 60% of the time as to whether the target is ferrous or non-ferrous.

I still have bucket loads to learn.....

just my experienced opinions,

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks Maxxkatt! Great list. Copied and pasted into my cliff notes for reference. I'm not new to detecting, but the 800 can make you feel like you are! Will be going for a hundred hour apprenticeship on standard programs as soon as the frozen ground thaws (4 hrs so far). Appreciate you sharing your experience on the Nox, as I have enjoyed your other posts.

Good info. Beginner here with Nox 800. Just put in another 6 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m wondering about 13, everyone says the ML-80 are rebadged Miccus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I can say is that I didn't like the ML-80 from the beginning so bought the SR-71 only to find out that they were using a bluetooth version that the 800 did not support so they would not pair. So I use them with the WM-08 and they sound very good compared to the ML-80 in my opinion.

From my stand point I think Minelab altered the ML-80's for some reason. I have seen some other posts by people who agree, the SL-80's don't sound as good as they should.

The ML-80's just sound with too much bass and not enough treble that I like for the higher pitched coin tones the 800 produces.

While I'm not new to detecting, I am new to the Equinox and I have been out of the hobby for about a decade. One hunt drove home the point that this machine will require a lot of time, experience, and dedication. That said, doing those things will produce crazy good results based on what I've seen.

I am experiencing a lot of non repeatable good tones. What is this an indication of?

Approximately how deep are they (according to the depth scale) and where are they on the numerical target ID scale? Are they in the small aluminum shard or aluminum foil range 0 to 10? Could they be EMI?

Jeff

I stopped paying attention to depth meter since it doesnt work on the Equinox’s. I will watch next time. Definitely not in small aluminum scale. They seem to always be the “good” vdi. 26-28-30+. Real nice high tone but then when I swing over the area again there is nothing. My best guess is underground lines/cables but I do check if they are in a linear pattern. Often times, they are not. Sometimes it hits on one direction swing but not on the swing back. What does this indicate?

too short of an attention span to read it all, but I started with the at pro and was thinking the same about needing a better detector for better finds when all the equinox hype started. I'm glad I didn't get one, I just want to go wander the park in coin pro and relax. I have decided there isn't much advantage to a higher tech machine unless you are willing to put in the time and effort to learn what the machine is capable of and that's not what I'm in the hobby for.

Whether a machine is complicated or not it just takes time to learn them. Obviously some machines can be learned quicker than others. I bought the 800 after years of not detecting. I have previously learned the White's MXT and the V3i. I will say I spent MANY more hours with the MXT than the V3i and felt at one with that machine. I felt ok with the V3i but I only had it a few years. The V3i was NOT an easy machine to learn. People that are new to detecting, that buy an Equinox are like someone buying a Gibson Les Paul for a first guitar. I would never say it is a bad or WRONG choice, you just need to know that the work has only just started and you better hope you don't get bored easily. Also best hope you're not married. Expensive dust collectors will never be a strong point of a relationship.

Whether a machine is complicated or not it just takes time to learn them. Obviously some machines can be learned quicker than others. I bought the 800 after years of not detecting. I have previously learned the White's MXT and the V3i. I will say I spent MANY more hours with the MXT than the V3i and felt at one with that machine. I felt ok with the V3i but I only had it a few years. The V3i was NOT an easy machine to learn. People that are new to detecting, that buy an Equinox are like someone buying a Gibson Les Paul for a first guitar. I would never say it is a bad or WRONG choice, you just need to know that the work has only just started and you better hope you don't get bored easily. Also best hope you're not married. Expensive dust collectors will never be a strong point of a relationship.

I can’t speak to the “not being married” part but Coin Saver is spot on. No matter the machine, in order to extract its full potential, a lot of time has to be spent with it, and I think that’s a real struggle for some. The guys who have a whole dresser drawer full of old coins or a huge display of relics or a safe full of gold rings....it didn’t happen overnight. Each machine has its own “personality” and getting to know that personality is key to success, as long as the targets are there to be found in the first place!

I will say if the Equinox didn't have 5 tones and only 50 I probably would have sold it. Fifty tones is a bit difficult to learn for me.

Back
Top Bottom