Tumbler Video - Here it is!

Roger B

Forum Supporter
Well, I bought a dual drum tumbler at the local Harbor Freight today. I am going to do a video From opening the box to showing the finished product within the next few days so stay tuned. It will be my first attempt at tumbling so it should be interesting, we can learn together :)
Here is the video as promised. Some parts repetitive but I didn't you want to miss anything. I hope it helps.
Please watch Part 1 & 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eyLu5PvgI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIdf2cZq-Jc

Last edited:
Did you use the coupon on their web site? I think its for 20% off which in my book is a great deal.

Remember to tumble your silver alone, no pennies or they'll turn the silver a rainbow color.

Good luck

Did you use the coupon on their web site? I think its for 20% off which in my book is a great deal.

Remember to tumble your silver alone, no pennies or they'll turn the silver a rainbow color.

Good luck

I will have the video up later today.
One of the reasons I bought the 2 drum tumbler was to tumble pennies, clad & silver separately, and the price was right :)

Excellent videos!!!

For some reason I laughed when you dropped the barrel when you were rinsing in the first vid:laughing: Also, your surprise on how "dirt" the water is, "are you kidding me..." :rofl:

You did an EXCELLENT JOB making the video and TELLING people WHAT you did from start to finish :yes:;) When I first tumbled, I was ALL OVER youtube trying to get how/what people did to mix/prepare etc etc etc and got bits and pieces of information from NUMEROUS videos. Yours is ALL IN ONE VID (i.e. talking about the first one that is because the second was for "recleaning"). A few things from my experiences of what I've read and tried and experimented with:

1) read: I've read NUMEROUS times from NUMEROUS sources NOT to exceed the poundage of the rock tumbler capacity as for some reason it is hard on the belts and they will tend to break. Yes, they gave you extra belts, but why do it if you REALLY don't need to. It's like taking your "regluar" 4door sedan and go DUNE HOPPING with it or ROCK CLIMBING, you get the point. Needless to say, the car won't LAST very lone:laughing:

2) read: I've also read from NUMEROUS sources that the "dirty water" contains "HEAVY METALS" and that NOT to come in contact with the skin as this is, obviously, bad to humans. Is this true, I don't really know:?: Have I come in contact with the "dirty water", YES. MANY TIMES OVER:laughing::laughing::laughing: I haven't been "twitch'n" yet so things MUST be okay, thus far :roll::rofl:

3) experimented with: I experimented with the same combination of aquarium rocks and dish soap, but also added in a little bit of PineSol and Comet. Your clad coins will come out "blinding you". Comes out pretty clean.

Hope these experiences of mine help. HH \_

BTW... don't forget about possible rocks in your, I'm assuming, garbage disposal.

For some reason I laughed when you dropped the barrel when you were rinsing in the first vid:laughing: Also, your surprise on how "dirt" the water is, "are you kidding me..." :rofl:

You did an EXCELLENT JOB making the video and TELLING people WHAT you did from start to finish :yes:;) When I first tumbled, I was ALL OVER youtube trying to get how/what people did to mix/prepare etc etc etc and got bits and pieces of information from NUMEROUS videos. Yours is ALL IN ONE VID (i.e. talking about the first one that is because the second was for "recleaning"). A few things from my experiences of what I've read and tried and experimented with:

1) read: I've read NUMEROUS times from NUMEROUS sources NOT to exceed the poundage of the rock tumbler capacity as for some reason it is hard on the belts and they will tend to break. Yes, they gave you extra belts, but why do it if you REALLY don't need to. It's like taking your "regluar" 4door sedan and go DUNE HOPPING with it or ROCK CLIMBING, you get the point. Needless to say, the car won't LAST very lone:laughing:

2) read: I've also read from NUMEROUS sources that the "dirty water" contains "HEAVY METALS" and that NOT to come in contact with the skin as this is, obviously, bad to humans. Is this true, I don't really know:?: Have I come in contact with the "dirty water", YES. MANY TIMES OVER:laughing::laughing::laughing: I haven't been "twitch'n" yet so things MUST be okay, thus far :roll::rofl:

3) experimented with: I experimented with the same combination of aquarium rocks and dish soap, but also added in a little bit of PineSol and Comet. Your clad coins will come out "blinding you". Comes out pretty clean.

Hope these experiences of mine help. HH \_

BTW... don't forget about possible rocks in your, I'm assuming, garbage disposal.

I do admit I was surprised at the dirty water:) I actually discovered 2 Indian Head Pennies in the first batch. I did a second batch and found 6 more that I didn't know I had :wow:
Can't wait to do more. Thanks for the pointers on the metal, I didn't even think of that. I will take care to wear rubber gloves in future tumbles.

I do admit I was surprised at the dirty water:) I actually discovered 2 Indian Head Pennies in the first batch. I did a second batch and found 6 more that I didn't know I had :wow:
Can't wait to do more. Thanks for the pointers on the metal, I didn't even think of that. I will take care to wear rubber gloves in future tumbles.

This is how, as far as the copper goes, it will come out. It is NOT the same penny, but you get the idea. I "collect" memorials as well as other cents more or less just to enjoy what I'm looking at, the details, etc. SOME things I will tumble with ONLY soap and water just to get the crud off. I am NOT going to put "dirty" coins in my collection books. ESPECIALLY the ones that have some sort of "grease" or something on them, which I have seen/experienced. ANYWAYS, this is typically the before/after of what to expect with the copper. You'll be AMAAAAAAZED at the details that just SPRING OUT at you:yes::D;):p:wow: Using:

1x a little bit of dishsoap
1x a little bit of PineSol
1x a little bit of Comet
1x SMALL aquarium rocks (I went with the small because I THINK it gets into the "smaller places"... and least I remember reading that SOMEWHERE on the net)

HH \_

BTW... like I said, the clad quarters, nickels, and dimes... with this combination comes out BRIGHT!!! Assuming the clad is NOT too "burnt" looking in the first place. Try it and see for yourself on your next tumble.

Attachments

• Copper_1975D_dirty.jpg
    Copper_1975D_dirty.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 552
  • Copper_1975D_cleaned.jpg
    Copper_1975D_cleaned.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 544
Looks like a lot of work to me. 50 bucks for the tumbler. Will a bank refuse to take some money that's dirty?

Looks like a lot of work to me. 50 bucks for the tumbler. Will a bank refuse to take some money that's dirty?

Common courtesy really.. those coin sorting machines the banks have cost thousands of dollars.. if you owned one, you wouldn't want to pour dirt in it. Dirty coins will jam up their machines and they don't fit in the sorting holes correctly.. you can ruin their machine.

I made a different container to catch the rocks with.

4 pieces of wood... make a simple square frame... then staple window screen mesh to one side.. now you can catch the rocks and the water goes through. Make sure and pull the screen material tight and put lot's of staples so it doesn't comes loose or have gaps.

Also.. do you screening outside, so you don't get an accidental rock in the kitchen sink. =)

Common courtesy really.. those coin sorting machines the banks have cost thousands of dollars.. if you owned one, you wouldn't want to pour dirt in it. Dirty coins will jam up their machines and they don't fit in the sorting holes correctly.. you can ruin their machine.

Absolutely correct Nic. Not to mention that I also discovered Indian Head Pennies and a V Nickel that I didn't even know I had until I cleaned then :)
Also discovered some Semi-Key dated Wheaties :wow:

Well I guess the fact that they charge me $1.50 to access my own money through an ATM each and every time. Or a $5.00 a month service charge each month. Plus they charge up to 8% interest to loan out my money that they pay me .03% interest on is really kinda ridiculous. I don't really care about their stupid machine. I'm not going to waste time and energy cleaning coins for them.

I mean seriously... run that tumbler for 3 hours for 50 pennies and you just lost money. I'm tired of getting it in the butt by the banks. I'm not cleaning a cent for them.

To the OP... the video's were good and informative.

Well I guess the fact that they charge me $1.50 to access my own money through an ATM each and every time. Or a $5.00 a month service charge each month. Plus they charge up to 8% interest to loan out my money that they pay me .03% interest on is really kinda ridiculous. I don't really care about their stupid machine. I'm not going to waste time and energy cleaning coins for them.

I mean seriously... run that tumbler for 3 hours for 50 pennies and you just lost money. I'm tired of getting it in the butt by the banks. I'm not cleaning a cent for them.

It's a hobby... I enjoy seeing my coins clean.. I guess that's my OCD kicking in. And maybe I'm too much of a nice guy.. but then again.. I've never paid my bank a single fee for anything. I have free checking... tons of free ATM's ... I don't borrow money. And they give me bonus points when I use my debit card that I can get free stuff on amazon with. And they don't charge me to run coins. So they are basically paying me to bank with them. Not to mention the $100 bonus when I opened an account. You need to change banks.

I can appreciate that, I'm retired so the time it takes isn't a bother for me. I like going through coins looking at dates and I like clean coins :)

I clean anything that will fit in the tumbler. So it's not just for coins. My coins look like new coins when I'm done with them. (check my post on cleaning with conklin gel) People commenting about the cost of the tumbler. How much have you made with your detector. It's a hobby. Anyone make money fishing playing golf as a hobby? Or any hobby for that matter. How much gas did you use during all those hunts? This is not a money making hobby for 98% of us. Its for the fun we have. If you don't want a tumbler no sweat. But for me it was easyier to clean over $1,000 in clad with it than any other way I've found. Just my 2 cents worth on the matter.

I'm LOVING THE TUMBLER! I've tumbled a bunch of items, keys, police badge, medallions, etc. It works great. I'm tumbling this years clad so far I've tumbled and rolled $60 in quarters and just tumbled my dimes. They are sparkling again :)

Back
Top Bottom