Pro-Pointer Tip Protection **UPDATE**

MrJeep

Elite Member
Being concerned with wear on the tip of my Pro-Pointer, I decided to try giving it some protection. I dipped it into some fiberglass resin. I taped off the area, mixed up a batch of resin in an old plastic pill bottle, dipped in the tip and here’s the finished product. Now it’s got a nice coat of armor! This should keep the wear off of the tip for awhile. After more than a month of use the resin is still adhering to the tip and holding up fine!

Attachments

• DSCN4645.jpg
    DSCN4645.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 5,052
Good idea! Let us know if you have any adherence issues over time. I'm pretty sure the Polyester resin won't make a chemical bond with the plastic of the PP. I'm guessing over time the tip will pop off.

That being said, if your tip was getting pretty scratched, that could help with giving the adhesion a little "tooth". I thought about using some of that rubber "tool handle dip" they sell at Home Depot. You know, the kind made for replacing worn wrench grips... Either way, I hope you cleaned the end with alcohol first. That will help as well. Keep us posted.

Good idea! Let us know if you have any adherence issues over time. I'm pretty sure the Polyester resin won't make a chemical bond with the plastic of the PP. I'm guessing over time the tip will pop off.

That being said, if your tip was getting pretty scratched, that could help with giving the adhesion a little "tooth". I thought about using some of that rubber "tool handle dip" they sell at Home Depot. You know, the kind made for replacing worn wrench grips... Either way, I hope you cleaned the end with alcohol first. That will help as well. Keep us posted.

Plasti-dip works well.

Yes, I washed it good first then after it dried, I wiped it down with acetone before dipping. We'll see how it holds up.

Plasti-dip here also. If you're prone to laying it down & then having a momentary lapse of memory, the yellow dip work well.

i used the bedliner spray on mine, its been holding up for almost a year

I see everyone coating their Pro Pointers but don't know why. Is there actually a problem with the tips wearing out over time or are these just precautionary measures that you all are taking?

I see everyone coating their Pro Pointers but don't know why. Is there actually a problem with the tips wearing out over time or are these just precautionary measures that you all are taking?

yea over time (several months) mine started to get deep gouges and you could tell it was starting to wear a couple flat spots, i also hunt rocky areas. i figured to slow down the wearing process i'd coat it. wish i did this from day one but i'll know better next time. once it wears to a certain point the small coil inside the pointer would be exposed and no longer water resistant.

At a $130/ea, it's worth the $5 extra to protect it.

Good tip:)

Dogpound, what brand of bedliner did you use? I have some Rustoleum Textured Bed Liner in black...would that work ok? Or non textured? Did you like protect the button when painting or what?

Good tip:)

Dogpound, what brand of bedliner did you use? I have some Rustoleum Textured Bed Liner in black...would that work ok? Or non textured? Did you like protect the button when painting or what?

i used the dupli-color bed coating (aerosol) http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckBedCoating/
i only sprayed a couple inches up the tip of mine, i also put a piece of electrical tape over the speaker hole to prevent moisture and dirt from gettin in the unit and it also quiets the unit down.

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 4,184
i used the dupli-color bed coating (aerosol) http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckBedCoating/
i only sprayed a couple inches up the tip of mine, i also put a piece of electrical tape over the speaker hole to prevent moisture and dirt from gettin in the unit and it also quiets the unit down.

Ok...so its just the tip:) I thought people were going rambo spraying the whole unit :laughing: I will definetely consider this for mine. Just got it a few days ago, and there are already small signs of wear :roll:

i put 3 coats on mine, and it's been holding up very well. what i did was....

1) tape off propointer
2) spray bedliner
3) remove tape while bedliner is wet (this prevents the tape from pulling off the liner)
4) let dry 10 mins.
5) repeat step 1 until 3 coats are applied

after the final coat is applied i let it dry over night to fully cure

I'll wager that by the time my ProPointer wears thin, it will probably need service from Garretts and then get a new case, or else I will have gotten my money's worth from it and couldn't complain anyway. I am not concerned. martin

I've got dirt clogging up my speaker hole right now! I gotta coat my pp. The bigger issue I have is the power button is testy in that the rubber piece likes to move around on me and sometimes not turn on/off properly. I've already had it fixed by Garrett once but it's happening again :(

Back
Top Bottom