• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First Hunt yields...1 lousy cent!

meggiedarlin

Finally, I can get out. I hit a baseball park with a totlot next to it.

My very first signal: a 1998 penny. I avoided lots of areas because it was still just too wet out there and I didn't want to mess up too much. The totlot yielded lots of crap.
2011-04-02%2015.12.49-1.jpg

Welcome to MDing:lol::lol:...Your going to have days like that.I would say on average I find around $2 something in clad at the schools or sports fields.I only put in about an hour each hunt because I bring my daughters with me.I have never found a gold anything and only two silver rings and one silver pendant.I have found some great relics in the woods from doing research.Hey.......My best clad day was 43 coins...sweet...Remember you need to put in the time swinging the coil to get rewarded....:cool:

Nice looking Yellow T-Bird(?) ya got there!....Location,Location,Location....;) Better Luck next time!....We've ALL had those days!.....:cool:

Now you have a goal

Next time out, I think you'll do better..make that your goal. I don't go home unless I find a dollar. Goals are good.

Yea I had my 1st real hunt today in my back yard, found the usual junk plus 3 pennys, oldest being 1960. I was just glad to find some coins, will be hitting the tot-lots soon.
BTW the inventor of aluminium siding is the devil.

Try discriminating all but coins if you get frustrated. I realize you leave yourself open to passing up a nice gold ring, but having some time to only dig coins and not all that garbage can be a good boost if you are frustrated.

Try discriminating all but coins if you get frustrated. I realize you leave yourself open to passing up a nice gold ring, but having some time to only dig coins and not all that garbage can be a good boost if you are frustrated.

Finally some one agrees with me. Nothing makes new users give up more than finding nothing but junk. Finding more coins goes a long way toward enjoying the hobby. You can always dig the junk later. Believe me, it will still be there.

Yeah I agree why dig the Iron.You should only go for the coins,Good thing is you can still find gold when it rings up a nickel! possibly.:yes:.....or sometimes a pulltab if you dont own a Garrett detector?:) Keep looking after it warms up people will lose their coins/etc.

Took my gf out for her fist hunt and the tot lot proved to be more trouble than it was worth due to how they did the sub-structure. We kept getting good signals then dug down to where the felt and who know was there.

So we went around a corner to an old lot and got some really deep signals. So we dug 10-12 inches and found some newer quarters. Dug another 12 inch hole and another new quarter - another deep hole for a penny.

Had a guy show up with his detector and he found a deep new quarter. We compared a signal and went after a 12 inch soda can~! :mad:

All we can figure is they brought in some fill dirt at some point else why would all the new coins be so deep.

Don't think my gf was too impressed, but she wants to go again to a different location.

So hang in there, when it's bad, it can only get better :)

Sorti

There are good days, bad days and fantastic days... it all averages out...

And as far as those that get discouraged and quit? Fine with me... more for me to find and some good deals on MD's for others. I am not one that cares one whit if a thousand people join the hobby.... I would much rather see a thousand people quit. RickO

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I am SORE today so I guess I'll let the ground dry out more and more coins to drop out of people's pockets.

I did not discriminate at all as I'm getting the hang of things. Oh, trust me, even though I dug up all of the crap, it was still exciting to see what I might discover!

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I am SORE today so I guess I'll let the ground dry out more and more coins to drop out of people's pockets.

I did not discriminate at all as I'm getting the hang of things. Oh, trust me, even though I dug up all of the crap, it was still exciting to see what I might discover!

lol, that sounds just like my afternoon today... except i dug 2 cents. next target will be a GOOD one! :D

Pete

I hit my parent's yard yesterday. I found a 1968d and 1973d penny. That makes $0.04 total for my finds. I did find a child's watch (my sister's from when we were young), a bunch of AL foil from when the dogs raided our trash.

I've only hunted 5 times.... All 5 times have been in the same park's totlots.
More worried about learning what I'm doing, then how much I'm finding.

Before I left the park for the final time..... I turned around and said..."at least I know I didn't miss anything...lol :takethat:

Better to be thorough than rich I guess...lol :gettinmoney:

If I were you... keep the car... paint it like the General Lee...

MDing seems to be similar to fishing... its better than a day at work...haha

Welcome to MDing:lol::lol:...Your going to have days like that.I would say on average I find around $2 something in clad at the schools or sports fields.I only put in about an hour each hunt because I bring my daughters with me.I have never found a gold anything and only two silver rings and one silver pendant.I have found some great relics in the woods from doing research.Hey.......My best clad day was 43 coins...sweet...Remember you need to put in the time swinging the coil to get rewarded....:cool:

Well said bass... You never know what's hiding under the coil & ground, It all adds up. "A penny is the difference between .99 cents and one whole dollar".

Hey guys I just wanted to say I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks with my new ace 150 if it were me I would only discriminate the iron out you just have to realize you will have bad days but what could boost your mood any better that finding a nice gold ring even if you had to dig 400 pull tabs before you found it I say only leave out the iron and dig the rest beside save all those can's and junk somewhere in the shed or garage wait till you have about fifty pounds of aluminum and then turn that stuff in and get a little pocket money beside you already did the work looking for that nickle you might as well save them and turn them into cash right :) but just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom