Just a spoon but I think it might be my oldest spoon

pjroo3

Does anyone know the Makers Mark on this spoon. I haven't had any luck trying to get an age or info on this. The handle has scripted initials which appear to be either JEH or FEH... Not sure. It was found at an 18th century homestead.

Attachments

• IMG_1095_2_2.jpg
    IMG_1095_2_2.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,246
  • IMG_1097_2_2.jpg
    IMG_1097_2_2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_1098_2_2.jpg
    IMG_1098_2_2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_1099_2_2.jpg
    IMG_1099_2_2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 520
very nice

hello Pjroo3 very nice"coin silver" spoon i found one very similar a few years back and they are tough to identify , the makers mark is in a bad area the same spot as yours . unfortunately thats the area with most wear on a spoon .while resaerching mine i have gathered up alot of info on silver makers marks and i found a " Lewis & smith " out of philadelphia (circa.1810 )and the smith is written very very closely like yours on the spoon . if you can resaerch the old homestead you might be able to find out who the spoon was monogrammed for which might also give you a date for the spoon .my spoon also was monogrammed and that helped in finding out the date . thats a great find especialy since it wasn't mangled up there usualy very thin and fragile . Dan

hello Pjroo3 very nice"coin silver" spoon i found one very similar a few years back and they are tough to identify , the makers mark is in a bad area the same spot as yours . unfortunately thats the area with most wear on a spoon .while resaerching mine i have gathered up alot of info on silver makers marks and i found a " Lewis & smith " out of philadelphia (circa.1810 )and the smith is written very very closely like yours on the spoon . if you can resaerch the old homestead you might be able to find out who the spoon was monogrammed for which might also give you a date for the spoon .my spoon also was monogrammed and that helped in finding out the date . thats a great find especialy since it wasn't mangled up there usualy very thin and fragile . Dan

It is very thin in the bowl of the spoon as well as the end of the handle. I was surprised at the condition as well. I've found many spoons but this is the best condition I've found. Funny I've never found a fork.

Interesting find, but I wouldn't try to overclean it.

On one of our club sites, we used to find lots of cutlery in the ground, with military markings.
Turns out that the farmers father used to go up to the USAAF airfield (Andrewfield) during WWII, to collect the waste food for pigswill.
The cutlery was dropped by accident into the waste food containers, then ended up on the fields with the pig food.

Back
Top Bottom