Detector Question

gargreen18

Does every metal detectors pick up rusty iron good metal? Mine will tell me it is silver or at least something better than iron and I dig it, just to find out it is rusty crap!

Because of this I find myself hunting in all metal mode because it doesn't make any difference.

Is this only because I have a cheap detector?

Here is the deal with iron. Remember that each machine responds a bit differently to iron. Iron is actually a highly conductive metal, and thus it will register sometimes as a good target, especially a nail as the phase of the signal can mimic that of a coin. You will notice as you turn your discrimination up, iron should start to give a somewhat broken signal, not smooth like a coin. Also a trick to iron is using the pinpointer. Iron tends to pinpoint off to the side from where the perceived signal is located. Nonetheless iron, especially nails, are just something we all have to live with and dig up.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hay Gar G,

Like Artur said, different MD's handle iron differently.

If you practice, you can learn to ID iron. Like Artur said,
turn your disc up until it starts to break up. But, I find
that if I go back down until the target just clears up, that,
that is a better indication.

I have noticed that on different detectors that have an
analog knob for discrimination.

It takes a combination of all metal and disc modes to ID
targets sometimes.

All metal is a good way to hunt, if you are in a good spot.
If I am in a good spot, I don't want to miss anything.

Other wise, I use my ID skills that I have learned over the
years to look for good targets. To me a good target is not
necessarily a high conductor. It is the sound I expect from
gold jewelry or artifacts, including coins.

When you learn trash, then you can eliminate it. If you do
it by hunting with lots of discrimination, you will not learn,
or even be able to ID what I think are good targets.

In the end, if the bug has got you, you will learn these
secrets.

Happy Huntin,

Deep rusty nails will give suspiciously good sounding tones on my Sov GT. The signal usually breaks and is not consistent in each direction, but sometimes deep silver or coins on edge will do the same thing, so I usually dig.

The Sovereign GT nulls over iron.. I don't dig iron...

Craig, deep rusty nails in the dirt will give high fluttery tones like silver. Again, they usually break (null) a bit, and the tones usually are not consistent in all directions, so I know the chances are good the target is a rusty nail. But like I said, sometimes deep silver or coins on edge sound the same way, so I usually dig.

When it comes to identifying the target prior to digging, no machine is 100% accurate. A lot of target ID will come from knowing your machine and what it is telling you tone-wise - and that comes from digging everything for a while. RickO

Craig, deep rusty nails in the dirt will give high fluttery tones like silver. Again, they usually break (null) a bit, and the tones usually are not consistent in all directions, so I know the chances are good the target is a rusty nail. But like I said, sometimes deep silver or coins on edge sound the same way, so I usually dig.

Thanks... I haven't dug in the dirt yet ;)

Back
Top Bottom