new here and have a detector question

stevealle

Hi everyone. I am new here and am getting back into metal detecting. I want to search for coins, jewelry and any casches that may be down a bit deeper. I am looking at the garrett gti 2500 with a variety of search coils or thinking of the minelab e trac with a large search coil. I realize there are different detectors for different uses, but would one of these detectors be better, or reach a deeper depth then the other? I would like the detector to be able to pick up any gold coin if it were to pass over it. Has anyone found a deep coin or casche with either one of these machines, if so what was the depth? Any recommendations on these detectors, or any others are greatly appreciated.What ever detector I buy I plan to learn well. I just want the deepest depth capabilities for what I am searching for.

Thank you
Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve. I don't own those machines but I am sure someone will come along shortly and help you out.

yo S

From the land of the Bluenose.....good luck with choosing a machine. Just be one with whatever you get and get out there and dig.....for they will come!

Welcome aboard Steve. What is your definition of deep? And will you be searching on land or sand (beaches)? Those are good units you are looking at and likely go as deep as VLF machines (with large coils) will reach. Pulse Induction machines go deeper, but lack the discrimination of VLF machines. There are several things to consider, so let us know. RickO

Thanks guys for the welcomes. I was thinking 12-18" range on coins and othe small objects, but was hopeing in the 2 ft to 3 ft range on larger objects such as a casche of valuables.

Thanks
steve

Let's see if I can stir anything up...

Both of your choices are very good machines. Putting a 12.5" or larger coil will likely get you 12"- 18" on "SOME" objects. With the 2500 you can buy what is called a depth multiplier. Have you read about that yet ?
With my 1500 I have found some items up to 11" with the 9.5" coil in dirt and up to 15" in sand....so far.
I'm not familiar with the e-Trac and it's operating frequency, but the 2500 has just the one I believe. 7.2 ? Multiple frequency machines sound like a good idea.
Marty

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the welcomes. I was thinking 12-18" range on coins and othe small objects, but was hopeing in the 2 ft to 3 ft range on larger objects such as a casche of valuables.

Thanks
steve

Steve, you're not gonna get 18 inches on a coin. Really good machines might get you half that. Once in a great while, where ground mineralization is nil and the coin has been there a long time, you might get a foot, but that's pretty rare.

Even the best detectors can't get more than 6 inches in a lot of places (like if the soil is mineralized or full of junk).

If you don't know PI from VLF you aren't ready to choose your detector yet. My recommendation would be to start with a more basic, less expensive machine and learn the ropes before you decide on your budget-buster detector.

Hate to say it, but a lot of people buy an expensive machine and then decide the hobby isn't that much fun after all. Digging coins is great, but mosquitoes and chiggers and sticky heat and bothersome observers and lack of good finds can discourage a lot of newbies quickly.

Thanks everyone. I will consider all your advise. I mostly plan to search for jewelry, coins and some relics. I just thought if there was something the size of a coffee can or larger in the 2 -3ft range, it would be nice to have a detector that could find it. I have had cheaper basic models in the past and just wanted to buy a higher end detector with the most capability as possible. I have access to some really old properties and would like to be best equipped once I learn a quality machine.

Thanks
steve

Well, if you have specific cache's in mind, a two box system will get deeper. Other than that, good, new, high tech machines might do twelve inches under the best conditions. A PI will go deeper, but not two to three feet. RickO

Back
Top Bottom