Counterfeit Garrett Pro-Pointers

I never seen a nation so obsessed with making cheap counterfeit copies of items. Maybe they should invest more time in quality built innovative products instead of making cheap knockoffs of others hard work and creativity. I refuse to buy any detecting equipment from anyone other than certified dealers now, I would even worry buying used items now unless proof of purchase was provided. They have copies of most Fishers, & Minelabs flooding the market which is going to make buying used detectors very difficult for us all in the near future.

Dear friend, Thank you for this information review. Future we will try very harder. Please keep Minelab serial numbers viewing in advertising as we need many more. We kindly reguard you for your purchase. Truly to yours Susie W

I'm going to be honest, if china came out with a counterfeit PP that worked like the genuine one but for half the cost, i would buy the counterfeit one.

There is no reason the PP should cost more than 50-60 dollars. No reason other than the companies have the market cornered and can demand what vendors pay/sell the item for.

I'm going to be honest, if china came out with a counterfeit PP that worked like the genuine one but for half the cost, i would buy the counterfeit one.

There is no reason the PP should cost more than 50-60 dollars. No reason other than the companies have the market cornered and can demand what vendors pay/sell the item for.

I agree 100%

In truth it all comes down to "Supply and Demand". Anyone who buys a MD, and sticks with it, will someday end up buying a PP. They know the demand for them, and they supply the price.

We're lucky they are only $127.00, not $250.00.

But I can see your point.

Garrett has the market cornered on the PP. There is nothing we can do about it, just like the gas prices.

You either pay their price, or try to find it used.

Then you run into counterfeit copies that may or may not work, costing you money.

Weigh you options and simply move forward.

50 to 60 dollars minus the dealers small profit, the distributors small profit, at least two shipping charges, probably 2 or 3 times a credit card company got 3%. At that price Garrett would have to let them out to the distributors at 20 to 25 bucks. There are PP in that price range, only they look like they are worth 5 bucks, No offence, I got one here just to look at it, it tends to get stuck in the holder, gets maybe a half inch of range, needs to be adjusted, and look like the probe end might snap off pretty easy.

Garrett does not have the market cornered, minelab, and whites have very sililar products in the very same price range.

Something is always worth what a willing seller, and buyer agree on, since Garrett has sold many thousands of these units I'd say with those kinds of sales that they are in fact worth it.

If you want one in your price range just buy one of those types.

Question is do the fake ones hold up better than the real ones? I have sent mine back to Garrett twice now. I love it....when it works.

I never seen a nation so obsessed with making cheap counterfeit copies of items. Maybe they should invest more time in quality built innovative products instead of making cheap knockoffs of others hard work and creativity. I refuse to buy any detecting equipment from anyone other than certified dealers now, I would even worry buying used items now unless proof of purchase was provided. They have copies of most Fishers, & Minelabs flooding the market which is going to make buying used detectors very difficult for us all in the near future.

You do realise that in most cases the Chinese are simply filling corporate america's orders - I am not sure if you had noticed or not, but MANY western companies get their shite made in China because they love paying next to nothing for labor - How can that be the fault of those big bad Chinese?

Perhaps Minelab & First Texas should reflect on who they climb into bed with when getting their products made ......... Why would you expect a Chinaman to be loyal to a foreigner, when the foreigner turns his back on their own people ......

Simple solution - There are still US dedicated manufacturers that sell fantastic equipment & support locally made product who have not turned to the asians for help - Buy from them

It has a lot to do with the Asian culture. They have a mind set that you share and or copy each other, then compete at the marketing end of the chain. Intellectual property is not a revered thing in their minds.

I have several examples, but it would take too long to type out. I have been informed by various sources over the years that this is how they do things.

Papa

You do realise that in most cases the Chinese are simply filling corporate america's orders - I am not sure if you had noticed or not, but MANY western companies get their shite made in China because they love paying next to nothing for labor - How can that be the fault of those big bad Chinese?

Perhaps Minelab & First Texas should reflect on who they climb into bed with when getting their products made ......... Why would you expect a Chinaman to be loyal to a foreigner, when the foreigner turns his back on their own people ......

Simple solution - There are still US dedicated manufacturers that sell fantastic equipment & support locally made product who have not turned to the asians for help - Buy from them

I wish more Americans thought like you!!

Thanks!!

<*)))>{

It has a lot to do with the Asian culture. They have a mind set that you share and or copy each other, then compete at the marketing end of the chain. Intellectual property is not a revered thing in their minds.

I have several examples, but it would take too long to type out. I have been informed by various sources over the years that this is how they do things.

Papa

And I sir, with all due respect, see companies closing down (frequently) their manufacturing plants & heading off to asia to get their gear made - their reasoning, is that they simply cannot compete with the other companies that headed off to asia before them - its happening all over the western world and its been happening for years - Sure the Chinese might be what you imply them to be, but we are simply feeding the system you describe.........

I recently bought two from one of this sites advertisers and no issues at all. I was told the difference were the beeps when you turn them on and the real deal vibrates, those from China do not. I've learned long ago, that you get what you pay for and it's a pay me now or pay me later situation. I'd rather pay more upfront from someone who has been in the business for quite awhile than some new guy who just started selling stuff on eBay at half the price.

And I sir, with all due respect, see companies closing down (frequently) their manufacturing plants & heading off to asia to get their gear made - their reasoning, is that they simply cannot compete with the other companies that headed off to asia before them - its happening all over the western world and its been happening for years - Sure the Chinese might be what you imply them to be, but we are simply feeding the system you describe.........

Oh you are exactly right. My former employer did that. Moved all US production to Singapore. I was also laid off in 1985 when our semiconductor company could no longer compete with the price of DRAM memory coming from Japanese companies. Of course, they were later found to be dumping memory at a loss in order to run us out of business. That's the marketing side of things that I mentioned. In the US, and I suspect NZ, companies hold tight to their intellectual property and manufacturing processes. In Japan, they share that knowledge with each other. This was evident last time we were car shopping. I could hardly tell the interior of one Japanese car brand from another because they were so similar.

I share the frustration, but the OP was wondering why they copy everything. My response is that it's engrained into their culture and they don't see the problem.

Another example. Friend of mine lives in Czech Republic and like much of Europe, vendor street fairs are common. Some Vietnamese folks selling counterfeit fashion items get busted by the cops and he says they had a look of bewilderment on their faces like, "What did we do wrong?".

I'm not condoning the behavior, just saying that I gained some realization as to why they copy so much.

Papa

Ouch! I just purchased a Pro-Pointer yesterday and it's due to be delivered tomorrow, but I never thought about the possibility of it being an imposter. I'll report back should it turn out to be a fake unit.

Thanks for posting the alert!

Back
Top Bottom