• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Worth Detecting?

metaldetective

I wrote to our county parks administration in my county and asked about their rules & regulations for detecting in the county parks. Their response was that I could detect in the parks as long as I didn't do any digging. :?:

Is this worth the time involved? Is there any way to get to an item that's near the surface without doing damage to the grass/ground area?

If you're searching for jewelry, it may still be worth the effort. I have found a gold ring with two small diamonds on the surface (just covered by blades of grass).

May be wrong, but I believe they are referring to the use of a shovel. A small trowel or digging knife may not apply. But I sure would ask anyway just to be safe.

Thats the same in some of our parks here in FL. I take my digger and as long as it's not over 4 inches... I dig anyway making sure to cover any hole as neatly as possible. I've met several personnel while doing this and they don't seem to have any problem with me (yet) I think they automaticly assume that you are going to carry a big shovel in and dig a crater. Of course I stay away from the actual playing fields! I never go on those but I've had very good luck with the parking areas. Anywhere they park on the grass! I found 2 gold rings in the same general area - in the parking area. Good luck!

metaldetective said:
I wrote to our county parks administration in my county and asked about their rules & regulations for detecting in the county parks. Their response was that I could detect in the parks as long as I didn't do any digging. :?:

Is this worth the time involved? Is there any way to get to an item that's near the surface without doing damage to the grass/ground area?

I would find the person who told you that and explain, in person, that you don't have a shovel or back hoe. Use just a screwdriver to recover the targets. You shouldn't do any damage to the grass/ground areas anyway, at no time.
pop

I'd give it a go, never know what you'll find.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your finds.

I had asked permission last year from the Army Corps of Engineers here in Ky about hunting the sand beaches at the local lakes. They said as long I didn't remove any artifacts (meaning arrowheads and etc) that is was ok. They even sent me a publication in the mail that stated what I could and could not do. It was very informative. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to hunt there.

I was told that i couldnt dig here in the parks as well. However i asked if i was careful and replaced turf....they said that i just couldnt "dig TOO many holes" So i figure as long as im respectful in the parks. Im good!

Back
Top Bottom