My $1000 coin

goldpaninut

I was walking along the Boise River near Boise, Idaho a few days ago, braving the 15 degree temperature and 11" of snow. I was house bound and had to get out! The river bed was the only place I could detect due to the frozen ground and snow depth, so I got on my rubber boots and took off. There wasn't many places shallow enough but I managed to find a few places. The first several places yielded only bottle caps, shot gun shells, and pull tabs. I was almost froze and about to give it up when I got a loud signal at about 80 on my MXT All Pro. Digging down only a few inches I popped up this goldish looking coin that I initially thought was a token. But after I got home and rinsed it off I saw that it was a $1000 Mexican coin. I looked it up on the internet and to my amazement, only 2 years after this coin was minted in Mexico, it was de-valued to only $1. And....thats only worth about 85 cents American. Oh well.....who else can say they've found a $1000 coin? The comparison photo shows how big it is compared to my favorite Walking Liberty half I found many years ago.

Attachments

• DSC01903.jpg
    DSC01903.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,315
  • DSC01902.jpg
    DSC01902.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,208
  • DSC02429.jpg
    DSC02429.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:
For sure it's a piece I'd be more than happy to find! Congrats, I have only found 1 Mexican coin to date! I bet the gold had you going at first!!

MetalHead

Thanks! Years ago in Alaska believe it or not, in 1971 I was using an antique detector by todays standards, and found 2 Mexican silver dollars in a campground. Lived there 45 years. Still have them hanging around someplace.....lol

Now that's a really cool and unusual coin and much harder to find than an American gold coin, well at least according to my notion, lol. Congrats on a neat find!

Don

$1000 Coin

Thought I'd post a comparison of how big this $1000 coin is: slightly larger than my favorite Walking Liberty half I found many years ago.

Attachments

• DSC02429.jpg
    DSC02429.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 698
Great find. You never know what you will find and where. I found a euro coin here in WV at a lake beach a few years back. Just goes to show you that you never know until you hunt a place.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom