• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A heart stopper ring

diggin4clad

Elite Member
I took a quick trip to the supermarket this morning and as I'm walking toward the store I spotted a ring on the pavement that had a nice gold color. I'm thinking it's a MAJOR SCORE but as soon as I picked it up I could tell it was too light in weight to be gold. I checked for a hallmark but it had none. Better luck next time.:laughing:

Attachments

• DSCN1478.jpg
    DSCN1478.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 279
I've been in the jewelry industry for 40 years. I would recommend having the ring checked by a jeweler. Many times when a ring is sized, the karat mark and Mfr's marks are polished out. I can't tell from your photo if the opal is solid, a doublet or triplet but it looks good. A jeweler can test for diamonds as well. I'm betting it's the real deal. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I'm willing to be that is a real opal but as Royn stated, I'd take it to a jeweler and let them evaluate it.

Since it was more than likely recently lost, I'd consider letting the store manager know you found a ring (don't describe it) in case the owner comes in to ask if anyone has turned a ring in. Possibly even take a small ad out in the newspaper...but that's just me ;-)

That looks real to me. Like everyone said, take it to the jeweler. Good find....

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Wow great find! Not sure is there is a fake opal, so with my ignorance of gemstones I would lean towards getting it checked.

Congrats!

There is lab grown opal as well as various assembled stones (doublets & triplets) that incorporate a thin slices of real opal with a clear cap and possibly a back. There's also imitation opal but from the picture I'd bet it's real. Hope this helps.

There is lab grown opal as well as various assembled stones (doublets & triplets) that incorporate a thin slices of real opal with a clear cap and possibly a back. There's also imitation opal but from the picture I'd bet it's real. Hope this helps.

I'm going to have it checked by a friend who owns a jewelry store.

Back
Top Bottom