Well I decided to leave someone a suprise

Glennz

Elite Member
Just went through all my 60s nickles, determined the only valuable ones are 1962 and earlier, also 1970-s I kept those ones, all the others that were common grade from the 60s, I released back into circulation, (i think it was 80$ or so).

If someone from here finds them let me know... if not and someone crhing up here gets them i'm sure they will be happy, they will still become valuable, just not key dates.

Glennz, why do you believe post 1945 nickels (1946 and up) have value over five cents?

I recently culled my collection to pre-1946 (I'm still wondering why, except for war nickels).

1946-1959 are worth between $.25-$.50 each in xf-40, this is the same price as the common wheat pennies 1944-1958

The ones from 60-62 looking at my 2005 book compared to my 2013 book the price for ms-65 has increased from .40-.50 to $22+

From 63-67 price increase to 12$ in ms-65 (these ones i got rid of)

If the prices increase that much in a short period of time those show you your most valued coins for the near future, Also the 1960 nickle is a small chance at finding, due to that i'm guessing it will be a higher key date.

Still waiting to see what the 60s pennies will be before i get rid of any.

YAY! I'm not the only weirdo who saves 60s nickels. I know what you mean about the pennies! I've got two airsoft bb containers full. lol. About 1300-1500 pennies i guess. And then a couple thousand wheats. I'm a hoarder. lol. Do you collect 2009 and 2010 pennies too?

I was saving 2011 and 2012, but realized the other day that was foolish and seperated them from the 09s and 10s, roughly $8 in pennies im giving to the bank :)

if i had a large enough safe i would keep most all 60s nickles...

Same applies with dimes and quarters if they are in low circ (presuming they are 65-69)

I don't see the value in them, other than 5 cents... I put one in each hole in a folder, and circulate the rest (other than war nickels and 1930s). There are very few key dates in Jefferson nickels that are worth anything once worn a bit... most dates are in the 1930s.

2009 nickels are low mintage and can be kept and sold for profit if you find them. They are extremely hard to find in circulation.

The list I'm looking at shows hardly any nickels over 40 cents in uncirculated condition in the 1960s. I just bought a 1953-S at my coin shop in BU condition and I think I paid 35 cents for it.

http://www.coinstudy.com/jefferson-nickel-values.html

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree with the 1960s nickels. Just my opinion.

Now, there has been talk of the mint changing nickels to stainless steel or another metal in the future, since the melt value of a nickel is well... almost 5 whole cents (actually 87% of face value today). With our fiat money we have today, that's not acceptable. Quarters, dimes, & half dollars are worth about 17% face value in metal content. The nickels actually being worth almost face value is a problem I've read that the government is trying to solve. :laughing: Because of this, there just might be a future in nickel hoarding... but in that case, I think they will all be worth the same regardless of date, like "junk silver" and copper cents.

Same applies with dimes and quarters if they are in low circ (presuming they are 65-69)

To replace the 90% silver dimes and quarters, they minted record numbers of clad quarters and dimes in those years. They are some of the highest mintage dates, and are still extremely common in circulation today. That's why so many people find those "missed it by one year" coins. There are gazillions of them. Unless they are uncirculated or proof, again I don't think this is a really wise investment.

In 1965 alone, there were as many clad quarters minted as there were quarters minted in 1960 through 1964 COMBINED.

But who is going to pay for them nickels??? Probably only a handful of people if that. Most only want the war nickels and there even hard to get rid of sometimes...

Oh check this out...

Quarters minted in 1965, 1966, and 1967 combined = 4,164,850,888

Washington quarters minted before 1965 combined (1932-1964 all mint marks, excluding proofs) = around the same number as 1965-1967. That's rounding to the nearest million per number, so it's rounded heavily... but you get the point. In only three years they minted as many Washington quarters as they had for the previous 32 years combined.

The 1965 Washington quarter was minted in a greater quantity than any other Washington quarter in history, by a long shot. In circulated condition, I'm pretty confident it will never be worth more than face value... barring a major change like total economic collapse or removal of coinage from our monetary system.

That's just my $.02, take it at face value.

I save all pre70 copper pennies and all pre-60 nickels (and 2009's). You never know when the early date jeffersons will be hard to find. only difference between them and the Buffalos' and V's is the design and date. As the jeffersons get older and the design becomes more obscure (because of the new design since 2006), the older dates will become very hard to find in circulation. How cool would it be to have an entire jar of 1913-1920 buffalos, or early V nickels? Well, I will have a big jar full of early date Jeffersons. I like them. :)

I save all pre70 copper pennies and all pre-60 nickels (and 2009's). You never know when the early date jeffersons will be hard to find. only difference between them and the Buffalos' and V's is the design and date. As the jeffersons get older and the design becomes more obscure (because of the new design since 2006), the older dates will become very hard to find in circulation. How cool would it be to have an entire jar of 1913-1920 buffalos, or early V nickels? Well, I will have a big jar full of early date Jeffersons. I like them. :)

I'm on your side! I agree all the way! I'm still young and the nickels are already 40+ yrs old :)

1946-1959 are worth between $.25-$.50 each in xf-40, this is the same price as the common wheat pennies 1944-1958
The ones from 60-62 looking at my 2005 book compared to my 2013 book the price for ms-65 has increased from .40-.50 to $22+
From 63-67 price increase to 12$ in ms-65 (these ones i got rid of)
If the prices increase that much in a short period of time those show you your most valued coins for the near future, Also the 1960 nickle is a small chance at finding, due to that i'm guessing it will be a higher key date.

All this is assuming that the coin grades MS-65 to XF-40, rarely will any coin that has been in circulation for 40+ years ever come close to those gradings.

Most coins - if you are truly honest about it and grade them correctly - will be somewhere near the G to VG grades to maybe, just maybe a VF grade.

This is just my opinion on this and I by no means am saying you're wrong in your grading. I am just stating my obsevations on coins that have been in circulation for 40+ years. (As a note my father-in-law,-a great guy by the way - thinks that if you find a coin that has been through hell and back and can hardly see what it is or the date just because its a 19XX coin its worth top dollar)

All this is assuming that the coin grades MS-65 to XF-40, rarely will any coin that has been in circulation for 40+ years ever come close to those gradings.

Most coins - if you are truly honest about it and grade them correctly - will be somewhere near the G to VG grades to maybe, just maybe a VF grade.

This is just my opinion on this and I by no means am saying you're wrong in your grading. I am just stating my obsevations on coins that have been in circulation for 40+ years. (As a note my father-in-law,-a great guy by the way - thinks that if you find a coin that has been through hell and back and can hardly see what it is or the date just because its a 19XX coin its worth top dollar)

Though yes a good bit of coins aren't that good i did find a MS 65, 1965 washington quarter once! A coin store gave it that grade, obviously thats unusual to find one that good, but it does happen.

Though yes a good bit of coins aren't that good i did find a MS 65, 1965 washington quarter once! A coin store gave it that grade, obviously thats unusual to find one that good, but it does happen.

One of my local coin stores gave me a 1965 and a 1967 quarter in my change, and both looked almost like proofs they were so shiny and free of defects. Just goes to show how common and non-valuable they are. A coin shop knows not to give out good change that has value over face. They probably had a whole roll of them or something.

Both coins went straight into my quarter folder!

One of my local coin stores gave me a 1965 and a 1967 quarter in my change, and both looked almost like proofs they were so shiny and free of defects. Just goes to show how common and non-valuable they are. A coin shop knows not to give out good change that has value over face. They probably had a whole roll of them or something.

Both coins went straight into my quarter folder!

Well after you spend $50 or more they can afford to give out $2 in nice quarters to make you come back for another $50+ round :) My coin store has given me star notes, super nice bicentennial quarter, etc. I do realize that these coins are currently worth nothing, but if my grandmother had saved several dollars in buffalo nickels when they were only 40 years old, i'd have a nice collection one day, i'm just saying that maybe one day down the road i might be able to help out my kids or grandkids, and if they remain 5 cents for each nickel, i won't have lost money :)

I do realize that these coins are currently worth nothing, but if my grandmother had saved several dollars in buffalo nickels when they were only 40 years old, i'd have a nice collection one day, i'm just saying that maybe one day down the road i might be able to help out my kids or grandkids, and if they remain 5 cents for each nickel, i won't have lost money :)

So very true. No one has a crystal ball, and those people who would have hoarded some of those coins would have something now... Reminds me of how much I wish I would have kept some Star Wars toys in the boxes back in the 70's... if only I had that crystal ball!

So very true. No one has a crystal ball, and those people who would have hoarded some of those coins would have something now... Reminds me of how much I wish I would have kept some Star Wars toys in the boxes back in the 70's... if only I had that crystal ball!

haha you sound like my father :) Not one Jedi survived. lol

Back
Top Bottom