question for all the mathematicians, world cup betting

zeemang

Forum Supporter
Here in Mexico I regularly play the national lottery,actually won 600 bucks last year... and now during world cup they have a sports betting part of the lottery as well. The ticket is basically a quinella of sorts where you must pick team x or draw or team y for 9 games. So, three possible choices, 9 games on a ticket. Tickets are less than a buck a piece.
For all those mathematicians out there, how many tickets would you have to buy to cover all possible combinations? :?:

Hmm...I read your odds are 1 in 30 million of winning, so I'd say if you buy 30 million tickets you might win..Or maybe it was 1 in 300 million..:roll:..Anyways good luck.

I can usually figure out odds, but for some reason i can't picture it in my head... if it were a ticket for one game, 3 possible bet combinations. But when you do two games it jumps to 9 possibilities...i can't figure out what it jumps to at 9 games....I know it's a huge number, but it bugs me that i can't do the math...

I can usually figure out odds, but for some reason i can't picture it in my head... if it were a ticket for one game, 3 possible bet combinations. But when you do two games it jumps to 9 possibilities...i can't figure out what it jumps to at 9 games....I know it's a huge number, but it bugs me that i can't do the math...

I think you just multiply together the probabilities of each game. For example, say that there are three boxing matches and the winner of the lottery is the person that picks the winner of all three matches. Your chances of picking the winner of each match (assuming the boxers are equally likely to win) is 0.5 for the first, second and third match. Therefore: 0.5 X 0.5 X 0.5 = 0.125 or a 12.5% chance. You can scale this explanation up to the problem being asked.

Back
Top Bottom