Cleaned up that 1796 Liberty Cap Large Cent

coinnut

Elite Member
I'm glad it was a good strike on the front of that coin, since the back is a weak strike and probably took the brunt of the water and mineral damage. Being in the ground for 200 + years takes its toll on copper. Removing that tough, black coating also takes away the contrast, so the pits show more and the details of the coin blend together more. But, I'm happy with the results. You can still see the coin fairly well. It has a weak strike on the front left of the coin, hence the almost missing "1" from the date. The right side of the front has great definition. Over all it turned out well and I'm gonna leave it alone for now. Thanks for looking. Just so you know, it was olive oil and a tooth pick and a lot of elbow grease. Lots of broken tooth picks too. :lol: HH.

Attachments

• 06-28-09 1796 Obv cleaned up.jpg
    06-28-09 1796 Obv cleaned up.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 490
  • 06-28-09 1796 Rev cleaned up.jpg
    06-28-09 1796 Rev cleaned up.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 476
awesome!

sweet coin george! ya done did good!;) proud to put that baby in your collection i'm sure:D
see ya thursday bud! we will be missing the 4th wheel but he will be in our thoughts & prayers.
dave

lucky little %$#@*&^

well it least you broke out of your 1803 rut :lol::D:p wow :shock::shock::shock:man great coin , thats what its all about and the good times ya have doing it .
great job with the cleaning George.

Dan

nice coin george

Hey george well I got my new compter back so I will be on the forums again..That is a nice coin good for you..I hope to go out with you guys in the near future its been about a month since I last went swinging..Good luck on thursday with you guys...john

Hey John

Hey george well I got my new compter back so I will be on the forums again..That is a nice coin good for you..I hope to go out with you guys in the near future its been about a month since I last went swinging..Good luck on thursday with you guys...john

I'm glad you rejoined the 21st century. I bet it was hard sending that carrier pigeon with your posts:lol: Glad to hear you are still itching to go out.

:wow: Nice it came out better than I thought it would, good luck thursday

Considering what you had to work with, you did a great job. It is hard to save anything that is deteriorated that bad. Still, a nice one for your collection.:yes: Congratulations on saving what you could.:D

Back
Top Bottom