1905 silver and fully intact crotal bell

leslie(nova scotia)

Elite Member
Navy Davy and I took Mike from the Canadian Detecting Forum out to one of my permissions on a day that had blistering high winds. The drive there was like going on a circus ride as we were blown all over the road. Sort of meandering like a drunken sailor.

The field was exposed completely to the wind whose mercy we were at. Not too mention areas of mud! All of us dug a few buttons, buckles and coppers. Mike was tickled as he dug his first ever flat tombac button.

Slogged the field for quite a few hours that took it's toll on ND and I while Mike seemed impervious to everything....darn young fellows.

Take for this old bouy was a 1905 dime, button, a dewy along with a very nice cortal bell that even retained its dinger.

That night it was off to bingo and of course the Hunny Bunny won. I just sat there suffering the effects of the day.
sncmyc.jpg

# 1 Crotal Bell

Nice # 6 size crotal bell, Leslie !

I was at a Member-Only hunt last week at a small farm in Massachusetts. My first good find of the day was a Tombac Crotal bell, an inch below the surface in a freshly plowed and harrowed field. Same "petal" design as yours, but one of the smaller crotals, with a #1 on it. I thought it was brass at first, but it rung up on my Spectrum XLT in the high pulltab range. It seemed to even have a greenish brass verdigris patina. A fellow club member told me it was not brass, but tombac, which explains the lower VDI reading on my machine. After I rinsed it off in a puddle, I could tell it was less brassy in color. It also was in nice intact condition with an operating dinger ball inside. My only other crotal bell ever was from more than 20 years ago. It was brass, same size as the newer find and with the "petal" design, but with no size number. Our club members find them all the time and in many sizes, up to almost tennis ball size.

Jim

Last edited:
Navy Davy and I took Mike from the Canadian Detecting Forum out to one of my permissions on a day that had blistering high winds. The drive there was like going on a circus ride as we were blown all over the road. Sort of meandering like a drunken sailor.

I know that day.. I was out as well and got tossed around as well on the pitch.. still a soggy mess.. sigh..

Still looks like you lads had a great day! More nice days coming up soon.. and with low tides hitting mid morning mark again, it's off to the beaches for me again with the larger coil this time.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom