Square or Round sand scoop holes

MattLock

Elite Member
Im trying to decide what sand scoop I should buy. I dont live the beach but I vist it enough now I think it would be something good to have. I cant decided if I should buy one with round holes or wire mesh. Is thre any preference of steell or aluminum scoops

answer

You're better off with mesh-style square holes. Round holes just add more restriction from sand being able to go through.

Here's a pix of the kind I use. In the first 15 seconds, you'll see the square holes. Only the duck-bill part has the "holes". Since , of course, that's the part that has to strike the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY0hgdwcD9A

Stainless steel is the best, if you are going to be @ wet salt. So that your baskets don't turn into a rusty mess after a year or two (nor require constant fresh water rinse at the end of each use). If you are hunting fresh water lakes, then perhaps you don't need stainless steel.

You're better off with mesh-style square holes. Round holes just add more restriction from sand being able to go through.

Here's a pix of the kind I use. In the first 15 seconds, you'll see the square holes. Only the duck-bill part has the "holes". Since , of course, that's the part that has to strike the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY0hgdwcD9A

Stainless steel is the best, if you are going to be @ wet salt. So that your baskets don't turn into a rusty mess after a year or two (nor require constant fresh water rinse at the end of each use). If you are hunting fresh water lakes, then perhaps you don't need stainless steel.

I had a scoop very similar to Toms, it was good.

Tom's scoop ideas are great except for one thing. DROP THE ARM CUFF IDEA. Tom's a tough guy , been doing it awile. Dry sand is one thing , hard pack is another world. With you being a newbie , you will use muscles you never thought you had. Hacking away like that , in hard pan, rocks and stuff , I can assure you are going to blow out your shoulder , elbow or wrist. Go a little slower, work on your pinpointing and eventually you will gain more speed and strength over time. Good luck !

I have a mesh scoop with aluminum handle that breaks down for travel. The mesh dumps sand quicker ,is lighter but can bend under stress if digging in rocks and it has a steel tip that rusts but doesn't wear. Husband has a big ol' aluminum scoop with holes. Its heavy ,doesn't sift sand very well if wet and the nose wore down from digging in creek rocks and it turns your hands black. Only advantage to me is it doesn't rust.

Back
Top Bottom