My First Coin Supplies!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
I've been meaning to do this for sometime -- just never seemed to get around to it! I've built up quite a few "keeper" coins metal detecting and have plenty other coins that I want to protect (non-metal detected). . .soooooo. . .I finally bought my first supplies. It is a kit from Hobby Lobby that came with 15 dime/penny holders, 25 nickel/quarter holders, 5 half-dollar folders and 5 dollar folders. Plus there are 4 20 coin page sleeves -- holds 80! I don't have many yet! Give me time!

Attachments

• My First Coin Supplies.JPG
    My First Coin Supplies.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 239
Smart...... Looks good too.

Thanks! Not pictured is another package of dime/penny holders since I have way more of those than anything else -- and may need another package! But this is enough to get started! :yes:

Thanks! Not pictured is another package of dime/penny holders since I have way more of those than anything else -- and may need another package! But this is enough to get started! :yes:

Good for you. You'll fill 'em fast for sure. I have a few someone gave me for my old coins. But most are just in boxes and drawers. I need to display them like I do my relics.

Good for you. You'll fill 'em fast for sure. I have a few someone gave me for my old coins. But most are just in boxes and drawers. I need to display them like I do my relics.

I think even with the extra dime/penny ones I may fill all of them with just my wheat pennies I've found in last 2-3 yrs. I may need more just for the dimes. Oh well, have to wait a month to get those! No place around here has them. Closest place I found is 35 miles from me in Hobby Lobby - yeah I'll probably pay more. Wal-mart here USED to carry them -- but not anymore. And no one else does here either! And won't be going back there for a month!

I think even with the extra dime/penny ones I may fill all of them with just my wheat pennies I've found in last 2-3 yrs. I may need more just for the dimes. Oh well, have to wait a month to get those! No place around here has them. Closest place I found is 35 miles from me in Hobby Lobby - yeah I'll probably pay more. Wal-mart here USED to carry them -- but not anymore. And no one else does here either! And won't be going back there for a month!

yeah seen them there Hobby Lobby just bought the plastic coin bags 1x3

yeah seen them there Hobby Lobby just bought the plastic coin bags 1x3

Coin Bags? Never heard them called that. I have some little bags but I get them at Wal-mart and they are cheaper than Hobby Lobby! $1/100 on the little ones. I think ones just a bit bigger are $2/100 but it's been awhile since I bought any! I know I could still use the bags but I decided to fix them up and put them in a notebook!:grin:

Coin Bags? Never heard them called that. I have some little bags but I get them at Wal-mart and they are cheaper than Hobby Lobby! $1/100 on the little ones. I think ones just a bit bigger are $2/100 but it's been awhile since I bought any! I know I could still use the bags but I decided to fix them up and put them in a notebook!:grin:

coin bags what ever put a few in made of plastic

Beware of PVC

I just invested in a ton of supplies for storing and protecting my collection. Figured it was time to upgrade from having them in a tin box. I got the same kind of coin envelopes that Pennyfinder did with the clear windows, some sleeves to put them in, and some clear coin tubes.

One thing to be careful about when housing a coin collection is to make sure any plastic that will contact the coins is certified PVC (polyvinyl chloride)-free. It is possible for PVC to "leak" from the plastic onto the coins and cause corrosion (it leaves a "film" and basically destroys all collector value). The coin envelopes should be fine since they're made for coins, but baggies or anything else I'd be wary of or at least check into. PVC is very common, it is what gives plastics flexibility.

Nice starter kit. I get my supplies delivered to my door from Amazon. I also needed a heavy-duty stapler, since my desk model couldn't get through the flips.

Nice starter kit. I get my supplies delivered to my door from Amazon. I also needed a heavy-duty stapler, since my desk model couldn't get through the flips.

My stapler came from my Navy days -- used in the service on my desk and it was an old style from WAY back before my time and they bought new about the time I was getting out and it was going in the trash! I rescued it!

Attachments

• Stapler.jpg
    Stapler.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 145
My stapler came from my Navy days -- used in the service on my desk and it was an old style from WAY back before my time and they bought new about the time I was getting out and it was going in the trash! I rescued it!

Wow! That is a cool stapler. Nice vintage piece. The price was right, too.:cool:

I've used the ones from lock shops they use for keys very cheap for a bunch. I've yet to find enough coins that need protecting to have given much thought to individual holders but you never know. Good luck hope you have to buy them in bulk you have so many.

Hobby lobby is expensive. Don't get a lot for the money. I buy off of amazon and they're way cheaper and more of the product. I use them for coins but also for buttons. I buy the big coin holders for the buttons. We have a kind of show and tell thing at our monthly club meeting where we bring in our best finds for the past month and there are 6 categories and we vote on what is the best in each category. I like to have my stuff in the sleeves or holders because ppl drop stuff etc plus it allows me to write on it dates etc of the find.

Hobby lobby is expensive. Don't get a lot for the money. I buy off of amazon and they're way cheaper and more of the product. I use them for coins but also for buttons. I buy the big coin holders for the buttons. We have a kind of show and tell thing at our monthly club meeting where we bring in our best finds for the past month and there are 6 categories and we vote on what is the best in each category. I like to have my stuff in the sleeves or holders because ppl drop stuff etc plus it allows me to write on it dates etc of the find.

Bingo!

Check out amosadvantage.com for better prices on those. If you subscribe to coinworld, you get special member pricing too. The subscription is worth it just for the savings, but then again I go through a TON of those things.

They also make self adhesive ones that are great. No risk of staple scratches and they have little tabs on the top which makes them easier to remove from coin pages or boxes.

Yup, got mine off Amazon as well, and from an online coin supplies dealer.

You're gutsy for letting people handle your stuff. I used to bring some of my art to shows, it was in plastic sleeves but still anytime someone with food or a drink came by I was like :shock: don't get food or liquid on my artwork! Then they're not always careful turning the pages.

Of course, if you're showing your finds to a MDing club they probably have a healthy respect for your buttons and will be careful with them.

Yup, got mine off Amazon as well, and from an online coin supplies dealer.

You're gutsy for letting people handle your stuff. I used to bring some of my art to shows, it was in plastic sleeves but still anytime someone with food or a drink came by I was like :shock: don't get food or liquid on my artwork! Then they're not always careful turning the pages.

Of course, if you're showing your finds to a MDing club they probably have a healthy respect for your buttons and will be careful with them.

I don't show 'em they're just tucked away for safe keeping for me.

Back
Top Bottom