My Sand Shark vs. CZ-21 Gold Results for 2016

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I decided to go through my spread sheet totals since I take good notes on each hunt. I track, in addition to the finds, the detector used, hours hunt, and location among other details. I decided to count the number of water/wet sand hunts that I used either the CZ or the SS and the total number of gold finds for each. I was a little surprised to see that the SS had done far better for me than the CZ. I used the Sand Shark 30 times last year and found 16 golds with it. I used the CZ 40 times and found only 8 golds. I can’t say that I feel that the SS is a superior detector than the CZ but it seems to be superior for the way I hunt. My best guess is that the one tone of the SS eliminates guess work and makes me dig things that would otherwise not sound as good with the CZ and possibly not be dug. I’m not 100% sure on the reasons for those results but that’s a big difference in the hunt to gold ratio for each detector. Any other theories say you pirates? :?:

I decided to go through my spread sheet totals since I take good notes on each hunt. I track, in addition to the finds, the detector used, hours hunt, and location among other details. I decided to count the number of water/wet sand hunts that I used either the CZ or the SS and the total number of gold finds for each. I was a little surprised to see that the SS had done far better for me than the CZ. I used the Sand Shark 30 times last year and found 16 golds with it. I used the CZ 40 times and found only 8 golds. I can’t say that I feel that the SS is a superior detector than the CZ but it seems to be superior for the way I hunt. My best guess is that the one tone of the SS eliminates guess work and makes me dig things that would otherwise not sound as good with the CZ and possibly not be dug. I’m not 100% sure on the reasons for those results but that’s a big difference in the hunt to gold ratio for each detector. Any other theories say you pirates? :?:
Might be user error. :laughing::laughing::laughing: Kidding man...:p

Could be you just got your coil over more gold when swinging the Sand Shark?

It sure would be nice if you could take both and compare a wild find before you dig. Then you would know for sure!

Could Be

You can't determine that because like Scuba said for one #2 the conditions change every hour, so many factor's , besides you do well with the detector you used to, the Sand Shark has been your baby, since birth :crybaby: :quote:

Do you tend to use one or the other (consciously or unconsciously) more frequently in certain areas, e.g. wet vs. dry vs. water?

I only use PIs for the exact reason you describe. I have a cz I picked up for 1 location and can't find myself picking up the darn thing.

Conditions and time of the month and year makes a difference too. Revisit you log as well and see WHERE on the beach you found the gold. Everyone has their favorite machine that they get very good with. When you introduce a new machine a lot of times finds go down initially with the learning curve. The old saying you dont know what you missed if you didnt know you missed it.

Dew

I'm interested in your gold Chain finds...I dont think the CZ can hear them very well...have you done a sweep over your chains with both rigs to see if this holds merit?
Mud

QUOTE "My best guess is that the one tone of the SS eliminates guess work and makes me dig things that would otherwise not sound as good with the CZ and possibly not be dug.

Never know about some of those iffy tones, I dig em unless im tired of digging. I never had either detector but I heard both work well ...the sand shark seems to be a tad lighter also (?) CZ deeper (?)

I can take my 3030 over a beach and all is quiet...go over the same area with my TDI pro and the beach comes alive. Sometimes I'd rather be digging then not digging. I think your just digging more. More digging has two results....
1. your gonna dig more trash
2. your gonna dig more treasure

strick

Might be user error.:laughing::laughing::laughing: Kidding man...:p
Why not? Maybe I don't use the CZ as effectively as the SS.

Could be you just got your coil over more gold when swinging the Sand Shark?
I thought of that. That theory would work if it would just be a few hunts to make comparisons but when your talking a year's worth of hunts now other factors statistically come into play.

Do you tend to use one or the other (consciously or unconsciously) more frequently in certain areas, e.g. wet vs. dry vs. water?
I considered that. However, when I take either of those machines for a hunt I am going to go in the water. The only thing that would dictate a change would be rough surf or finding some wet sand worth working for me. BUT I would do that with either of those detectors so that rules that theory out.

I only use PIs for the exact reason you describe. I have a cz I picked up for 1 location and can't find myself picking up the darn thing.
Even though I used the CZ 10 more times I TRUST the SS more. I have had less technical difficulties with it than I have had the CZ. I KNOW the SS will pick up chains and gold to deeper depths (especially the smaller stuff).

Did you keep a record on how many targets per hunt and how much trash per hunt? Just wondering
Not "total" targets. Whenever I use the SS my trash is 3X as much and its quite the scooping work out.

Conditions and time of the month and year makes a difference too. Revisit you log as well and see WHERE on the beach you found the gold....
Dew, I'm comparing a year's hunts with 2 machines that were swapped back and forth all year long.

I'm interested in your gold Chain finds...I dont think the CZ can hear them very well...have you done a sweep over your chains with both rigs to see if this holds merit?
Mud
I know my CZ won't pick up the links in a bracelet or chain unless there's a larger piece with it. There's no way that the gold bracelet that I picked up on Dec. 31st would've made even a peep with the CZ at the depth I got it. The prior week I also picked up the junk Gucci chain with the SS.

Never know about some of those iffy tones, I dig em unless im tired of digging. I never had either detector but I heard both work well ...the sand shark seems to be a tad lighter also (?) CZ deeper (?)
I chest mount both so weight is not an issue. The SS is deeper the CZ swings through the water easier than the SS's round donut hole disk.

Sometimes I'd rather be digging then not digging. I think your just digging more. More digging has two results....
1. your gonna dig more trash
2. your gonna dig more treasure
AGREED! Is not the goal to dig treasure? Then I'll take the extra trash is it means more of the good stuff.

What coil are you using on the Sand Shark?
10.5". I don't think anything smaller than 10" should be used for water hunting or on the beach unless special conditions dictate it.

Not sure on this one? My finds went up when I switched to Minelabs:lol: Fixing to send the CZ21 in for a check up before posting it for sale along with the Infinium. Not wasting time with PIs any more. But you got way better depositors your way. Heck I may only use a PI where you live. Here you want to slit a wrist after a month with a PI:lol: I know the CZ I have sux on small gold.

Itsaring

Take the PI over their, Felix cleaned all the trash & pennies up, now get the deep gold were his Shark can't find it howboutit :shock::laughing:

Not sure on this one? My finds went up when I switched to Minelabs:lol: Fixing to send the CZ21 in for a check up before posting it for sale along with the Infinium. Not wasting time with PIs any more. But you got way better depositors your way. Heck I may only use a PI where you live. Here you want to slit a wrist after a month with a PI:lol: I know the CZ I have sux on small gold.

The OP is from Miami. Aren't you also in Florida? What a conundrum. I hope to move to the west coast of Florida so what would you recommend?i don't mind digging all targets (at least so far. Getting older though ). I do mind weight. Must be waterproof of course. Both you and Felix do very well. So, what do you think ? Btw, I'll be in the Fort Myers area. Thanks for your thoughts.

The OP is from Miami. Aren't you also in Florida? What a conundrum. I hope to move to the west coast of Florida so what would you recommend?i don't mind digging all targets (at least so far. Getting older though ). I do mind weight. Must be waterproof of course. Both you and Felix do very well. So, what do you think ? Btw, I'll be in the Fort Myers area. Thanks for your thoughts.

Everyone I hunt with use excaliburs. I live in the NE of Florida. But all my friends on the west coast mostly use excaliburs. Bear in mind with straight shafts added. Depending on what part of the west coast you visit you might want to avoid PIs. There may be 15 guys water hunting and they leave a ton of iron for PI hunters to dig. Thing about Miami is the volume of people. They probably get the same people a week as we get in a month at the beach.

The CZ21 is the heaviest feeling detector I ever used. If you are older and plan on wet sand hunting it will feel like carrying a concrete block after a while.

Everyone I hunt with use excaliburs. I live in the NE of Florida. But all my friends on the west coast mostly use excaliburs. Bear in mind with straight shafts added. Depending on what part of the west coast you visit you might want to avoid PIs. There may be 15 guys water hunting and they leave a ton of iron for PI hunters to dig. Thing about Miami is the volume of people. They probably get the same people a week as we get in a month at the beach.

The CZ21 is the heaviest feeling detector I ever used. If you are older and plan on wet sand hunting it will feel like carrying a concrete block after a while.

But why not hip mount it and just use the shaft and coil. I never use the pinpoint button. I think it is a fantastic machine and works extremely well.

But why not hip mount it and just use the shaft and coil. I never use the pinpoint button. I think it is a fantastic machine and works extremely well.

I also hip mount it but the wiring is too short for me. I may still have the big coil installed and see what it does? But the worst issue is the battery doors don't last as i'm sure Felix already found out more than once.

Back
Top Bottom