• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I scored a killer permission!

Ohiodigger

Elite Member
I got permission to hunt an area that had an old schoolhouse. There's literally zero information about this school online anywhere. I have a map from 1902 that shows it there and another from 1948 that shows it still there. So I don't actually know when it was built....I'm guessing late 1800s....it's not on a map from 1878.....the original well is still there and the property owner said the hand well pump still works. I know it was torn down between 1960 and 1971.....historic aerials shows the building in 1960 and it has a hunting cabin standing where the school once stood that was built in 1971. It's barely used so I'm hoping not much trash in the ground. It's on a partially wooded lot in the country, about 4 acres total. The property owner didn't know a school was stood there.... he thought maybe a barn. There are a lot of sandstones lining the driveway that use to be the foundation. I'll probably hunt it this weekend....the temps are supposed to be in the 70s. Any ideas on what I might expect? Like I'm sure at an old country schoolhouse probably not a lot of coins....but idk? Anyways pretty excited about it!

Congrats on your new permission! You never know what you'll find til you get out there... can't wait to see what you find! :yes:

What can you expect ? Well , If I lived closer , you could expect me to show up and help you hunt this place,,,:lol: Just kidding . There's really no telling what you'll find . I hunted an old 1 room schoolhouse near me a few years back , didn't much , a few clad coins , and for some reason , kept finding what looked like blobs of molten steel . :?: ,, Good luck , post some pics .

Any ideas on what I might expect? Like I'm sure at an old country schoolhouse probably not a lot of coins....but idk? Anyways pretty excited about it!

LOADS OF CASH, bring a wheelbarrow. Lol

Hard to tell actually, small denomination coins, tiny nick nack toys, many buttons and since the build it torn down, nails, lots and lots of nails.

I've recently hunted two that are still standing, one was used as a vie let storage lot for the current school district form the 70's to the 90's and is now restored as an old school, that place had been hit hard by meteorite hunters, but full of junk you cand believe, in fact it's hard to find even an Iffy target. The other is very clear and is producing.

You never know, but good Luck

I have a school house from about the same time frame. Did not find much to talk about. But you never know till you hunt it. Remember the great depression was in that frame. And people didn't have much money. But I wish you the best of luck. Gl HH

Thanks everyone! Too damn hot right now....supposed to be much more pleasant this weekend

Back
Top Bottom