Old amusement park

crNelsen1

Been hunting lately an old trolley park. 1884-1925. About 40 acres. Going there now you would have no clue everything is overgrown just a few walking trails now that go along the river in its hey day it had a bowling alley outdoor pavilion boat house indoor theatre penny arcade restaurant and ball field. Can't seem to find a lot of pics big area to cover! Any tips can't wait to go back

Since you only have 11 posts, I might consider you to be a new detectorist?
You should try to hook up with asomeone locally who has more experience!
Call me:lol:

Last edited:
+1 I'll meet you there send me your address lol. Sounds likes great spot. Fine some old photos and try to find where people spent time doing activities like getting on/off things or in/out things or sitting/playing.... Those spots will yield your highest probability of treasure vs trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 acres is a big area, anyway you can nail down the picnic area? Perhaps the Historical Aerials website.

I would kindly volunteer my services as, but something tells me this isn't in SW WI. LOL

Good luck and welcome to FMDF.

Hi,

Sounds like you have found a great spot with a lot of promise.

Try this web link and see if it helps. If your area is covered on this site it will allow you to see a map of the area then overlay and older map on top of it. Sometimes the old map will show where old buildings were at.

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

Hope it helps,

BGHAWK

Yes very big area. It's called contocook river amusement park check it out interesting history. Formerly owned by b and m railroad now the city owns it

Yes very big area. It's called contocook river amusement park check it out interesting history. Formerly owned by b and m railroad now the city owns it

That's a lotta acreage to cover alone. Have fun and post your finds

I doubt he'll be covering it alone after letting the cat out of the bag...:laughing: Seriously though, that looks like a great spot to spend a couple seasons. I'm ready to head to NH and "Rock down to Electric Avenue"...:D Good luck and HH crNelsen!

Neat place. Not a lot of traffic there either. Found 3 wheaties, pipe, buckle, old lamp post, various trolley parts, bullets, 2 silver quarters, bullets, oil lamp parts, few modern nickels oh yeah and bullets. Going back tomorrow

I doubt he'll be covering it alone after letting the cat out of the bag...:laughing: Seriously though, that looks like a great spot to spend a couple seasons. I'm ready to head to NH and "Rock down to Electric Avenue"...:D Good luck and HH crNelsen!

Gonna get hit hard this weekend. Watch :laughing:

Prolly look like a competition hunt out there this weekend.

If I only lived within 4 -5 hours or so!

The few times I've been out there it looks like people have already scoured the area. It's big though so prob didn't get everything. I hope!

Ha know it well used to have a house just outside of Andover Sounds like a great spot. Wish I detected when I had that house

I had some luck with "old amusement parks" by searching for old post cards of the site. Found several then made my own map. Where was the "outside" concert area, picnic area, arcade etc. If it was along side the river, there would definitely be an area the kids would splash/swim, bottom line is, people were all over the area with pockets full of coins. Good luck.

Pics of park

Some pics of the park in its glory years and some recent ones as well.
805.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_30205.jpg

IMG_31715.jpg

1920378_10152289304934446_513967241_n.jpg

1115.jpg

77775.jpg

10294985_780599268646321_5648720384909876340_o.jpg

IMG_30265.jpg

IMG_30215.jpg

s-l1600 (2)5.jpg

Back