People can get in the way of metal detecting on a beach------

Cupajo

Elite Member
but sometimes it can be fun too!

In those early years there were so many opportunities to observe humanity that I sometimes think perhaps it was a mistake to shelve my detectors for so long. I could have had enough material for a book by now.

During the summer swimming season there was always an antic to watch and sometimes participate in. People seem to think that you are part of the experience of the beach and have no qualms about getting in your way or asking foolish questions, such as "Find anything good?", as if you are going to tell them the truth or better yet, "Can I see what you've found?" as they reach for your container of miscellaneous trash.

Any self-respecting treasure hunter worthy of the name knows better than to put his valuable finds in with the junk he is removing from the swim area. My usual reply to either query is to show the person the container of flotsam and jetsam I'm removing from the water "To make their swimming safe" and if I play it right I'll get a heart felt thank you from them. One lady got teary eyed at the thought of my civic generosity or perhaps she was just a sensitive sort and I suppose the booze I smelled may have played a part.

When a particularly aggressive sort got too close I would suggest that the sharp end of the scoop I was digging with would be hard on bare, wet toes and that I would not be responsible if they accidentally became victim by venturing too close; also that as I was focusing on the sounds in my earphones I would not be able to hear what they were saying.

One obviously intoxicated woman staggered her way out to where I was digging and I warned her not to step in the hole by getting too close. Her antics were so funny it was almost a pleasure to be accosted by her. I had to stop and explain what I was doing and to show her some of the things I had found. She asked for a small object of junk jewelry I had found and I happily gave it to her and sent her on her way.

She staggered to the steep incline at the waters edge and couldn't walk out of the water because of her "condition". On all fours she crawled out to where she could stand upright with swimsuit hanging below her rather large rear end, mooning me and everyone else in the water.

Somehow she kept her footing and made her way up the beach to her blanket and friends still clutching her prize. Along the way she managed to recover her modesty somewhat by dragging the sagging garment up over her ample caboose.

Sun, sandy beach and alcohol can set the stage for all sorts of comedy and as we know tragedy.

Continued another time friends,

HH

Cupajo

Funny story but kinda sad. She is an accident waiting to happen....

Great story there. You are right, you could probably write a book of short stories on hunts.

Always interesting to see the reaction of many peoples that do not know anything about our hobby.I like the smirkes that they have when they are passing by.That guy is either retarded or a sweet dreamer.If only they knew:lol:
But no ,better to let them smirke.

People watching....a GREAT sport. But....they sure can be a nuisance. I'm thinking more and more of this "Night hunting".

Good story.

EKW

Back
Top Bottom