Fill your holes on the beach PLEASE

Dirtfishin

Elite Member
The other day I started to hunt when I looked down the beach all I saw were giant holes left by the Mder in front of me. At the time it was about 30 min. Before low tide so leaving your holes will be there for around 6 hours. Meaning runners, walker, biker, have a lot of time to fall in them a maybe twist an ankle or hurt themselfs pretty bad. This was in my hunting area. I filled all his holes and tried to Catch up to him to school him a little on the safety and respect for others using the beach. So all the newbies tuning in please cover your holes, expecty at low tide. High tides a different story depending on how fast and how high the wave are coming in.
Thank you

pull your trash yes..
fill my holes ? AT the Beach NO way!:mad:
how many people dig major holes in the sand
and leave them ???????
we all have eyes it is up to you to watch where you walk!
do you walk down the street with your eyes closed ? no
you look where you are going .. i never fill my holes at the beach..
parks schools ect YES..

The biggest craters I see at the beach are made by kids. I still swipe a foot and fill my digs though. I'm not critical about it though.

Yep

Yea so far this year I've cleaned up more trash and taken more sand filled cans, bottle caps and pull tabs than anything else off the beaches at our drained lake. Holes I kick sand over but have never see so much trash in my life. Trash people. Oh bylaws no metal detecting...they should be paying me for my work.

I see more people leaving their trash they dig the leaving holes when I visit the beach. I sat and watched a guy for 10 minutes just to make sure before I said something to him. He told me it wasn't his trash he doesn't want it.

Got a question for you Vegas, how long have you been detecting on the beach? I was just wondering. Let me just say this if someone twist their ankle from your hole and they see you leaving them, you're going to have to deal with it. And further more you make us all beach hunters look bad in doing so. It's only obvious that children and parents playing, building castles making holes etc. that's to be expected. But doing this as a hobby and knowing things can occur ie. Injuries. A different story. I actually saw a little old lady fall from someone's hole I don't know if it was left from a child or what. People don't always look down at the ground when walking or jogging, their looking at the scenery. Just wanted to give a little advice. Now you got it, do what you want with it.

Got a question for you Vegas, how long have you been detecting on the beach? I was just wondering. Let me just say this if someone twist their ankle from your hole and they see you leaving them, you're going to have to deal with it. And further more you make us all beach hunters look bad in doing so. It's only obvious that children and parents playing, building castles making holes etc. that's to be expected. But doing this as a hobby and knowing things can occur ie. Injuries. A different story. I actually saw a little old lady fall from someone's hole I don't know if it was left from a child or what. People don't always look down at the ground when walking or jogging, their looking at the scenery. Just wanted to give a little advice. Now you got it, do what you want with it.

Well said. I know some cities are debating banning detecting because of the holes. I know the town I live in on the east coast will not allow you to detect Tot lots or volley ball courts because people want cover up their holes. And I feel it is my beach as well as others so if I don't kick up the trash I dig up, I'm as bad as the one that left it there. Just MO.

I went to a beach near Jax today and saw the same thing. Actually saw the guy doing it. As soon as he saw me he left but left all his holes open, dozens of them. DISGUSTING! He was also leaving the pennies outside of the holes. Seriously? Take them and threw them away at least :(

It was low tide and he was digging up at the higher tide line. Meaning ALL his holes would sit open for hours. SHAME ON YOU!!!

Man you have no idea:no:
some places I hunt the competition not only leave a hole but also leave the trash. The other day I saw the end of a pitch fork sticking out of the sand with the tips pointing up rusted to crup.... left from them as a gift to some kid running down to the water. I can tell how long ago the place was hunted from the iron blobs sitting on the surface. :shock:

pull your trash yes..
and leave them ???????
parks schools ect YES..
Are you out of your ******* mind! Why are you here? [emoji35]

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Doesn't make much sense. How hard is it to kick the sand back in the hole and take the trash. Maybe if the dig the same trash a few times the light bulb will light.

Doesn't make much sense. How hard is it to kick the sand back in the hole and take the trash. Maybe if the dig the same trash a few times the light bulb will light.

I will usually hunt the tide line as its coming in. I still kick some sand back in but not all of it. My knees start to hurt after a couple hundred holes of sideways kick sweeping. Holes are usually under water or being hit by waves by the time the target is in the bag.

pull your trash yes..
and leave them ???????
parks schools ect YES..
Dude, get a life, people like you are what lead to metal detecting being banned. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be honest... it has never occurred to me NOT to fill in my holes no matter where they may be. Holes in the sand may not be as big of a deal as holes in the turf but people can still get hurt and it doesn't make the hobby look good. It only takes a couple of seconds to fill them, anyway. So why wouldn't you fill them? :?: :my2cents:

pull your trash yes..
and leave them ???????
parks schools ect YES..

That is the wrong attitude mate.
Leave the beach as you find it.
Don't be lazy.

and leave them ???????

You'd be surprised. At the beach i dig massive sand castles (i.e. the walls are 1+ foot high and 1+ foot thick) Yet a lady still came up to my Dad and said she fell in. Dumbass? Yes, but we as detectorists need to fill the holes in out of proper etiquette. I used to leave them open at the beach alone, as a noob like you. But after joining the forum, no way.

pull your trash yes..
and leave them ???????
parks schools ect YES..

Really?.... How lazy can you get?
:no:

Do you take the dishes out of the sink before you pee in it?:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom