I'm in LOVE!!!!

BensJamming

Alright, so I finally got a 5x8 coil for the Pro now and all I can say is WOW.

Many of the places we were hunting gave so many signals that would be jumping from 30 to 80 VDI that I figured it was mostly junk so we had skipped over it for the time being and moved more towards the baseball outfield were it wasn't so trash infested. Now after getting the new coil today we decided to try moving back to infield and back into the playground area to see what we could do with this new little toy.....

Anyhow, I started out at my Grandmothers house for a while today to try it out while the kids were still in school and not 3 feet from her backdoor I pulled a 1926 and 1944 wheatie, which by the way the 26 is my oldest coin to date and were within inches of the house that wrapped in aluminum sheeting around the bottom! With that stock coil it was just going off constantly there anytime we got within 6 inches of the house. Then found a bunch more copper pennies, a couple nickels, some dimes, (all clad), a toy cast trailer, bunch of trash, and this cool old looking pocket knife all out under the old shade tree and this was just from like a 20 by 20 area. Cant say for sure but from the little research I did on the knife shows it may be a “Boker” brand which seems to be not very cheap ($129.99). The handles are still there and intact but when I tried to clean some of the dirt from in by the blades and was moving the smaller of the 3 blades it just crumbled off with very little effort. Wondering if it may have been my grandfathers who passed just over 10 years ago. After moving more towards the garage I found an old pen cap, some “Play Money” and an old die cast tow truck mostly intact minus on “running board” that was broke off, but all 4 wheels are still there and still moved after a little cleaning. School was close to letting out so I had to leave and go pick them up.

After that we had some errands to run, stopped for supper for our oldest 15th birthday, and decided to head out Md-in for a little bit again back at the old church we have been hitting lately. Right off the bat we get a banging 87VDI that locked on and I thought it was a silver quarter for sure! Turns out it was a matchbox car. A foot or so over get another car, then another, and we were pulling tons of square nails from the ground all around them as well. Figuring that is why we never got these earlier when we went over it quick with the stock coil. We did dig a lot of trash tonight in there but any solid audio signal with a steady VDI we dug. Alot of times I will skip these being lazy but with out 11 year old he is a “Dig it all” type of kid who can't dig enough holes and is really proud of his skills of cutting a nice plug. A few times tonight I hear him all excited thinking he found something cool and he is smiling say look at this plug, pretty nice hey? :) Even though I knew it was gonna be trash most of the times I was curious to see what we would get at these weird VDIs and its nice to know to appease my curiosity. After a while I worked my way into the home plate area and start working right along the fence of the backstop and get another sweet high tone with a rock steady 82VDI on the ATP. Thought for sure it was gonna be another clad dime or sometime I have been getting copper pennies that ring in that high and steady so wasn't too excited but figured Id get it anyhow to clean it out and see if anything of value will come from this spot. I cut my plug and pop it out literally right up tight to the chain link fence since the pinpoint on the machine was showing it only about 1.5 inches from the fence it self, and as soon as I flipped the plug out pops a really nice looking class ring. We both celebrated a little as this is only our 2nd ring ever and they both have came from this same church/school yard. We bust out the toothbrush and clean it up a little and see a name engraved on the inside of the band, which happens to be good friends with my parents and only live about 5 houses away from them. Was a class of 81' Peshtigo Bulldogs, either silver or white gold or plated, not sure yet. Haven't tested it yet and don't see any markings on it that would say what its made of but plan on cleaning it a little more after I type this and doing a little testing to find out. This find ended our hunt tonight at about 8pm since he has school and big field trip to the planetarium tomorrow so didn't want to be out too late.
Really cant wait to get back out there tomorrow and see what else awaits us out there, but before we hunt we are gonna go knock on “Wendy's” door tomorrow and surprise her with it. She has no idea is a super nice lady that really deserves to have her stuff back. My dad said “I bet she will be tickled pink to get that back” and we really hope that she is. Never really thought we would ever be the ones to finding and returning a ring, but I guess when it has someone who you know name on it the old conscience kicks in.

Here are some pics of what we found minus the tow truck since the kids took it to show their other grandfather and I'm not sure where they put it for now and they are sleeping.

The trash

Play Money

A Whatsit????? Any ideas? Looks like wires coming from it and think the big part is lead...

The toys

The Ring!

And last but not least the knife...

We are saving the silver coins for next time.... lol

Thanks for looking and HH

Just looked up the ring and it was made by Jostens. Its made of ARGENTUS. I never heard of it but here is a little info I found about it incase your wondering as well....

Argentus - In the 1970s and 1980s Jostens made some class rings out of Argentus which they described as follows: "Jostens Argentus A new dawn in white precious for your college ring. A unique blend of silver and palladium, (not stainless steel) metals. Argentus is hard and durable and will retain its brightness and beauty for years to come." Wsteinborn (talk)

Intereresting ring composition. Nice finds and congrats on the ring and maybe a return. Lots of stuff with that machine and coil. Looks like your oldest car had a major accident!!

Congrats and good luck in the future.

Just looked up the ring and it was made by Jostens. Its made of ARGENTUS. I never heard of it but here is a little info I found about it incase your wondering as well....

Argentus - In the 1970s and 1980s Jostens made some class rings out of Argentus which they described as follows: "Jostens Argentus A new dawn in white precious for your college ring. A unique blend of silver and palladium, (not stainless steel) metals. Argentus is hard and durable and will retain its brightness and beauty for years to come." Wsteinborn (talk)

Jostens rings are so exppensive

I'm telling ya, that 5x8 will GET IN BETWEEN those NAILS. It completely TRANSFORMS AN ALREADY AMAZING MACHINE! WOW! WTG on that ring, never heard of the composition... palladium is a RARE find (when it comes to jewelry) it's VERY expensive also. Killer day! :D

I was JUST considering buying the 5 x 8, and I think you just sold me on it! Where did you buy yours from, and for how much?

If that knife is Shrade/Old Timer, the factory may replace it for free.

I used to work at a hardware store and the policy was like Craftsman tools...over the counter, no questions asked.

I got a 5x8 DD coil for my 250. I'm finding more stuff, including silver, than I did in these yards I searched before. Seems like just as much fun searching them this time.

Thanks guys not sure on the knife for sure. Found one called a boker cattleman that looks similar....

Ended up with 2 merc dimes (36 so so condition n a 45 merc that looks super nice!) As well as a 1935 buffalo nickel and some more wheats. One was a good condition 54 which is the year my dad was born so he is gonna keep it, clean it up, n use as his ball marker for golf. Will get a cpl pics of the mercs and buffalo shortly and post them.

Definitely get yourself the small coil if you hunt in any types of trashy places. Makes World of difference. I got mine from Bart at Big Boys and had the next day. Call him and he will hook you up w a vood price. I got the extra lower rod and hardware kit right away too. Makes switching them much easier.

Sent from a hidden menu within my AT Pro

Heres the pics!

Oh ya we returned the ring today and she said her daughter took it to that school around 1988 for show and tell and it never made home, but they thought she lost it at her parent house after school sometime. Were super happy to get it back and were really surprised. My 11yr diggin partner got a $20 reward to put towards his new detector purchase too!

Excellent finds, love the styling of that ring:D
Yes, once you use the 5x8 coil, it is so hard to go back

Hahaha didnt realize how crappy my coffee table looks up close til I was viewing these pics again! :laughing: Sorry about that I will try and get a better backdrop next time.

Back
Top Bottom