Found A "Glow In The Dark" Aurora Borealis Coin In The Snow Today

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
glow.jpg

Hit a couple of snow hills today. Each hill gave up a little. My second hill gave up this beautiful "Glow In The Dark" Aurora Borealis 2 dollar (Toonie) Coin. I charges it up in front of a bright light, then turned off the lights. Cool! I had my very own private Borealis show in the house...! :laughing:

Below are the total coins from the hunt. Dimes were "HOT" today.

Attachments

• aa2.jpg
    aa2.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 676
That's a neat coin - Is that a special issue by the mint? I mean are they easy to find in circulation?

Now THATS cool! If a guy had two of them, and put them over their eyelids at night, it would be like VR goggles! I bet a guy could sell those here in the States for $3 each! :laughing:

That's a neat coin - Is that a special issue by the mint? I mean are they easy to find in circulation?

Canada's Royal Canadian Mint issues a glow-in-the-dark Toonie coin depicting the Aurora Borealis to commemorate the country's 150th birthday.

Source: Royal Canadian Mint

Canada's Royal Canadian Mint issues a glow-in-the-dark Toonie coin depicting the Aurora Borealis to commemorate the country's 150th birthday.

Some countries celebrate their anniversaries with fireworks and sparklers. For Canada's 150th, the mint is bringing the light show to its money.

A new glow-in-the-dark coin is the first of its kind entered into circulation, according to the Royal Canadian Mint.

The CA$2 "toonie" features a view of the blue-green aurora borealis above two canoeists paddling along a tree-lined lake. In the dark, the special ink used to produce the image illuminates the northern lights.

The mint has struck a number of special edition glow-in-the-dark coins in the past, but the new toonie is the first to be put in circulation.

Other luminescent coins feature similar scenes of Canada's natural landscape, along with a series based on star signs. A collectors' coin featuring the red-and-white national flag set against glow-in-the-dark exploding fireworks is also being sold in celebration of the Canadian sesquicentennial.

"The mint has a long history of innovation in the coin business," said mint spokesman Alex Reeves. "We like to demonstrate our capabilities to our customers."

The mint became the first to circulate colored coins in 2004. With the release this month of the glow-in-the-dark anniversary coin, the mint can claim another first.

"It's something special to add to the celebration" of the sesquicentennial, Reeves said.

About 3 million toonies have been made for circulation, which are sent to distribution centers where coins are stored and where banks resupply themselves, according to Reeves.

Two Canadian dollars are equal to about $1.51 in American currency — but these limited-edition toonies will likely price above their exchange rate in a trade with a coin collector.

That's a really cool coin! What's this snow bank hunting all about? Sounds like something I should be trying. Around here we say that we have 2 seasons, winter and 4th of July :laughing:

I'm curious what that's going to look like coming out of the ground in 2067... There's not a lot online about what that's made out of. The mint says it should have like 20 X the life of a banknote.

I suppose the Equinox will have a "glow in the dark" setting by then.

Had a friend many years ago who would hit the ski slopes when the snow had melted to bare ground. found all kinds of stuff. Funny I never knew if he just walked the slopes and look as I presumed, or used a detector.

Great coins to find.

:D Al

You learn something new everyday... Now if the US would do that with zincolns we wouldn't even need a detector. Just walk around a park after the sun goes down. Then again Felix would never be able to sleep in house, it would look like Christmas year round. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom