Knife geeks? What do you carry?

Oldsjunkie

Forum Supporter
Big into knives or not, what's in your pocket, or on your belt everyday? Boot maybe? (you don't have to tell us about all of em of course.:D).

My grandpa was a huge influence on me and made a lot of sense in a lot of things he said. One of the biggest was that a man should NEVER be without a knife within reach. We started carrying pocket knives young, 7 or so, and if grandpa pulled the "knife check" on ya, you better 1. Have it 2. Have it clean and 3. Have it SHARP! :pirate:

Anyway, enough rambling... I'm carrying a Hinderer designed Zero Tolerance 0566 in Blackwash and G10 in place of my usual Spyderco of varying types depending on mood... It looks HUGE in the pics, but it isn't. 3.25" blade and 7.70" open. Carries really nice. Don't care for spring assist blades much, but after taking it down, polishing the washers and using better oil the action is nice really. My blades take a beating and are heavily used everyday usually.

I'll be receiving my White River Knife and Tool Backpacker tomorrow for horizontal belt carry when I'm out and detecting and whatnot in "questionable" spots. Woods also.

Attachments

• ZT.jpg
    ZT.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 491
  • ZT2.jpg
    ZT2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 532
Good ole Grandpa's , alway's did have way's of training us youngun's .
I remember in school, used to sharpen my pencil with me pocketknife , or carve on a piece of wood or something during class , the teacher would walk by and say , put that knife up and do your work !! Try that today and see what happens with ya .
You ever watch NCIS , Gibbs rule #9 , always carry a knife .
I'm pretty rough on my blades , so I usually just buy'em when I see a pretty sturdy looking one , and use it till I buy another one , then put the old one in a bowl , and once in a while I'll pull one out of the bowl and wonder why I quit carrying that one .

3 blade folding Boker in my pocket- 3 1/2" Kabar folder clipped on pocket and a fixed K4 Dozier on my belt.

I've got several regular folding knives including the Swiss Army style, but a very useful one is a multi-tool folding knife, and a survival knife with neat supplies in the handle.

I don't have a picture right now of my folding multi-tool but it is something similar to this (I should have at least 2 multi-tool knives)
multitool.jpg

Here is the survival knife I have, it was only $9.99 (obviously this one would be not be carried on you all the time :lol:)

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-hunting-survival-knife-90714.html

survivalknife.jpg

Good ole Grandpa's , alway's did have way's of training us youngun's .
I remember in school, used to sharpen my pencil with me pocketknife , or carve on a piece of wood or something during class , the teacher would walk by and say , put that knife up and do your work !! Try that today and see what happens with ya .
You ever watch NCIS , Gibbs rule #9 , always carry a knife .
I'm pretty rough on my blades , so I usually just buy'em when I see a pretty sturdy looking one , and use it till I buy another one , then put the old one in a bowl , and once in a while I'll pull one out of the bowl and wonder why I quit carrying that one .

Yeah, they started taking mine away at one point and grandpa picked up a couple extra Case 3 blades until he could get them back from the teacher. She asked him one day when he came to get me out of class to go fishing, "How many of those knives does he have, anyway?". Max responded "As many as I need to buy to make sure he has one." Sounds like you've built yourself an unintentional collection there Hawgdawg!:lol:

3 blade folding Boker in my pocket- 3 1/2" Kabar folder clipped on pocket and a fixed K4 Dozier on my belt.

Here's a man that's prepared for any occasion! How do you like the K4? Dozier has some beautiful pieces.

Funny I came across this thread. I just texted my wife a knife and told her i needed it. She said "really another knife?" I said yep this one is 1.5" shorter then my last one and that I believe it would be a perfect fixed blade everyday carry.

I have three weaknesses, a good knife, flashlight, and pen.

This is the knife I am currently carrying for everyday usage. Kershaw 1760 Damascus skyline

Attachments

• Kershaw-Damascus-Skyline-LL-1760DAM-BHQ-3378-jr-large.jpg
    Kershaw-Damascus-Skyline-LL-1760DAM-BHQ-3378-jr-large.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 383
Funny I came across this thread. I just texted my wife a knife and told her i needed it. She said "really another knife?" I said yep this one is 1.5" shorter then my last one and that I believe it would be a perfect fixed blade everyday carry.

I have three weaknesses, a good knife, flashlight, and pen.

This is the knife I am currently carrying for everyday usage. Kershaw 1760 Damascus skyline

Man, I looked at the Skyline and really like the look of it. Feels good in hand too. I don't think they had the Damascus when I was shopping at that time and I was having trouble going for the 14C28N after every 3rd day clean ups on my 8CR13MoV Spyderco Tenacious, even though the 14C28N shows a little better edge retention. Loving the S35VN on the ZT for sure! That kid was a good salesman to talk me into dropping that coin...:laughing:

This is what happens if you spray paint everyday. This knife has been taken apart AT LEAST once a month for 3 years. This was a heavy 2 weeks....Grandpa would skin me alive!! :nono:

Attachments

• tenacious.jpg
    tenacious.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 371
I like a yellow handled 4 blade pocket knife with square bolsters less than 3" closed so it fits in the watch pocket of my jeans. When I'm detecting I carry an old hunting knife with a 5" blade and bone handles that my mother gave me when I was about 9 years old. She got it with Green Stamps. We were poor folks and when I think of all the other things she needed---well let's just say I cherish that old knife. I have had it for over 62 years.

I like a yellow handled 4 blade pocket knife with square bolsters less than 3" closed so it fits in the watch pocket of my jeans. When I'm detecting I carry an old hunting knife with a 5" blade and bone handles that my mother gave me when I was about 9 years old. She got it with Green Stamps. We were poor folks and when I think of all the other things she needed---well let's just say I cherish that old knife. I have had it for over 62 years.

I think I still have an old knife my Dad gave me years ago , packed away in a box somewhere so I wouldn't mess it up . I pull those boxes out occasionally and reminince .

Man, I looked at the Skyline and really like the look of it. Feels good in hand too. I don't think they had the Damascus when I was shopping at that time and I was having trouble going for the 14C28N after every 3rd day clean ups on my 8CR13MoV Spyderco Tenacious, even though the 14C28N shows a little better edge retention. Loving the S35VN on the ZT for sure! That kid was a good salesman to talk me into dropping that coin...:laughing:

This is what happens if you spray paint everyday. This knife has been taken apart AT LEAST once a month for 3 years. This was a heavy 2 weeks....Grandpa would skin me alive!! :nono:

I love Kershaw. Affordable knives and if you ever have a problem their customer service is awesome. The Damascus blade on this knife hold a good edge I haven’t sharpened it since I got it as my personal Christmas present lol. Still super sharp.

That's awesome modeltguy! Those seemingly small things have a huge impact on us later in life. I haven't had it 62 years, but I still have the first Old Timer workmate my grandpa gave me. This one here, right?

Attachments

• old timer.jpg
    old timer.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 349
This belonged to my Grandfather. He got it just a few years after I was born. I keep it sharp and keep it close.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 352
I like my Skeletool. I didn't care for the original Leatherman because it was cumbersome to open and I pinched my fingers on it every time I used the pliers. It was also a 1Lb brick in my pocket or sticking out from my belt.

This one has an external blade and pocket clip so it's easy to get to the knife and it sits out of the way in my pocket. I still pinch my fingers but not as much.

19-skeletool-cx.png

This belonged to my Grandfather. He got it just a few years after I was born. I keep it sharp and keep it close.

Nice! I've bought my old man several nice blades over the years and he loves them, he just doesn't carry them. He carries the same blade you are and has for 50 years. It's great to always have that connection every time you use it isn't it?

Fixed blade CFK for me. Big enough to be useful, but not so big as to be cumbersome, and sturdy enough to actually do some work.

CFK Carry _1.jpg
CFK Carry _2.jpg

Man , that's nice there Longhair.
Thanks!
It's really nothing too special. I carry it butt forward on my right side (I'm right handed), so I had to make my own sheath for it, and it's nothing fancy either. For me a knife is a tool that's also safety equipment. Anyone that works with livestock for a living needs a good knife.

Back
Top Bottom