Anyone Geocaching?

Geocaching

Got my Garmin E-Trec hand held GPS for Christmas in 2007, and was hooked from the moment I found my first cache. Most importantly was the fact that my teenage daughter enjoyed it as much as I did and it has given us hours of quality time together. Just be careful geocaching can be extremely addicting.
Have fun and Happy Hunting.
Ron

Been caching for 2.5 years now. User name is the same handle on geocaching.com. Love all aspects of it...fun with the wife and kids, the FTF chases, the long hikes, good friends, road trips, the thrill of making a difficult find (or hide, for that matter), mystery cache puzzles...but most of all, seeing places I never knew existed. And there have been many.

I use a Garmin 60cx. Great little machine. There's some temptation to get a Colorado or Oregon, but the 60cx does it well.

It is addicting, so beware. I'm not sure if this new interest in MDing will supplant the caching bug...time will tell. Geocaching still rules the hobby roost!

And yes, that is a geocoin as my avatar!

Hey Goochas, ever do any night hunts? With the reflective dots? I used to have a puzzle night hunt, that was popular, till we ran out of hunters. My Geo name is TerraKacher. but it's been awhile since I last logged in. I use a Garmin GPSmap 60, I can upload and download to my computer. For some reason swinging my MD has taken most of my time ... :lol:

i used to quit alot but i found almost everything within a hundred miles of my home and i got tired of spending so much on gas :) my handle is GPSPMS

Used to hunt a lot, but got tired of fighting the PI down here, and slogging through the weeds & ticks.

My Wife and I geocached for several years, found most of the caches in and around our area. Trouble was some of the older ammo container caches were not kept up and some had been removed, then the Micro caches started popping up tiny pill shaped containers or camera film canisters. Your GPS can get you within a few feet of it but you still may not find the micros, we found one in the knot hole of a tree about head height hooked to a chain screwed to a stick stuck in the knot hole of the tree, it was a multi part cache which gave coordinates to another mini cache and finally to the main cache sorta like a scavenger hunt. Anyway our geocaching kind of took a back seat to our new found detecting hobby, but we did find some good metal detecting sites through geocaching so the two can go hand in hand together.

Too evolved

When I first heard about geocaching more than a dozen years ago, I found some sites online and went off with my GPS and found most of them. This was fun. But now the game has become so complicated and specialized with its on jargon and multiple targets all connected and over-involvement with the internet that it no longer interests me. A certain amount of online involvement is required, but today it's way to complex. What appealed to me when GCing first arrived on the scene was the lack of organization. Just some numbers to follow and you were on your way.

Today you get the Lat and Long and you get an almost exact location to start in. You get an idea of the terrain, how hard it is to hike, what roads are near by. You get everything virtually handed to you before you turn on your GPS. This is not much fun to me. What I like is a set of L & L numbers and absolutely no ideas where the site is. No clue as to how you should get there. No advice of any kind. That, to me, is the whole idea. That's what it was 20 years ago. But not now. Now it's a guided walk in the woods. Nothing wrong with a walk in the woods. But to me it lacks adventure, thinking, and any real feeling of discovery.

If you like modern caching, good for you. It no longer appeals to me at all. I don't mean that to sound harsh. We all have different feelings and expectations in any woodland or outdoor semi-adventure.

Jennings

I just signed up, looks interesting. Lots of stuff by my house and job

Monkey, I'll look up that term, "Letterboxing". I didn't mean to sound like an old fart, even though I am. I'm old school when it comes to most things. That's all.

Thanks for the new direction.

Jennings

Jennings:

If you want to look into Letterboxing, check out the web site: http://www.atlasquest.com/
Its the best and friendliest sight for Letterboxing. I letter box too, my handle is TerraKacher.

Found a geocache by accident. I walk my dog in a old cemitary and came across it on the ground. My first thought was someones ashes. I reluctantly opened it to find out it was a geocache. (Hangtown red) I rehung it in the tree it fell from. 0426101716.jpg

This thread caught my eye while I was looking for tips, I am new to MDing, but we have been caching for a while. I was wondering if anyone has tried letter boxing? It is a lot of fun too, not quite as tech oriented but a lot of fun for the puzzle solvers out there.
Unfortunately, there are not as many boxes around but still a lot of fun and free (mostly, you need a stamp of some sort). You can check it out at letterboxing.org.
Its great for a low cost weekend with the family and the kids really get into it. I think it will be great to MD while the little one tries to find the caches/boxes.
HH, Niki!

Cool all, thanks for posting. I have a question about the George Caches with the dollars. How do we get started with that? Just register at Where's George and submit a serial number?

Can we go back to a George cache and exchange dollars even though the first cache we found was a George cache? The instructions said, "Don't exchange nothing but Georges. So we just signed the log.

I just joined this forum about 2 months ago and only started metal detecting
about 6 months earlier than that and now I have read this entire thread in
a drunk and dog- tired state, only to find that the owner of this web site
is metal detecting stuff that some one TOLD YOU IS THERE!...
OK I'm tired and grumpy, and maybe I am a purist that thinks pineapple
on a pizza is wrong, but then again why throw down a piece of gold from
your hand when that's what you are looking for?
The geocaching thing is bogus. seriously, if you guys want to find things
that no one has touched for hundreds of years then come search with me
in ARIZONA where I can show you 10000 year old stone artifacts to add
to your collection of stuff, pluss bullet casings from the 1700's (fort lowell)
LOOK IT UP!
I swear this is the best hobbby ever, but come on man geo cache hunting?
I am a poor person... just give me the money please dont bury it!!!

I just joined this forum about 2 months ago and only started metal detecting
about 6 months earlier than that and now I have read this entire thread in
a drunk and dog- tired state, only to find that the owner of this web site
is metal detecting stuff that some one TOLD YOU IS THERE!...
OK I'm tired and grumpy, and maybe I am a purist that thinks pineapple
on a pizza is wrong, but then again why throw down a piece of gold from
your hand when that's what you are looking for?
The geocaching thing is bogus. seriously, if you guys want to find things
that no one has touched for hundreds of years then come search with me
in ARIZONA where I can show you 10000 year old stone artifacts to add
to your collection of stuff, pluss bullet casings from the 1700's (fort lowell)
LOOK IT UP!
I swear this is the best hobbby ever, but come on man geo cache hunting?
I am a poor person... just give me the money please dont bury it!!!

kokopelli, I agree with you about Metal Detecting is a good hobby. I myself throughly enjoy it but please also understand that there are many different forms of hunting. Not everybody wants to Metal Detect or has the patience to learn the fine art of dirt fishing. Geocaching is a more recreational form of hunting. Granted you won't find relics or anything of value but the idea behind the hobby is to involve whole families in doing things together and getting out and visiting places they probably would have never gone to if it was not for Geocaching. I personally don't Geocach, but I do see the draw it has and talked to people who do. From the young to the old, it has kept kids from stagnating in front of a television or video game and senior citizens from rocking thier lives away. The hobby not only keeps these people physically active, but mentally active as well. The old saying that "families that plays together, stays together" is true in this case. Geocaching is not bogus but rather a legimate form of recreational activity for all ages. And in most cases, no digging required. If my wife ever wants to try Geocaching, I would not hesitate to oblige her.

I am a charter member and was quite active for a while. Work obligations ebb and flow to the extent that my hobbies get in the way. It is one of the reasons I took up MD'ing. There is less time and distance involved and I can tuck it into my schedule a bit easier. Still love it and still read all the updates. I will be more active when the current work schedule loosens a bit.:D

Back
Top Bottom