I did a little gold experiment with my Xterra 305

armadillo66

A buddy of mine runs a jewelery store here in KC. So today we took several different carat weights of gold and held them to the coil and noted the readings and sensitivity.
14K read a 4, but the unit was not very sensitive to it. I was actually disappointed at how many times we moved that piece of jeweler's bench repair gold across the coil and it did not read it.
18k bracelet read a 4 a little more sensitive than the 14k and 24k
24k read a 5-6 and once again the machine did not record it being passed by the coil very well.
A white gold wedding band hit 4 with poor recognition as well
A couple of different nugget rings were reading 5-6 and read strong. My jeweler buddy said that he thought the alloy mix of the different pieces was the cause and maybe adjusting sensitivity would make a difference out in the ground.
Platinum ring did not hit on it at all, a gold watch hit strong, but there is a bunch of other metals in the mechanism too.

Am I needing to make a sensitivity adjustment to get it to hit gold better?

I worked a couple of sand volleyball courts this morning and only found one nickel in them. Considering the courts were located on a large church yard in a very high dollar home area I figured I might get at least one small piece of gold out of it, but no beans

small gold and gold chains are tough
the etrac has trouble with them
seems the V3 is better
now gold rings no problem have found several with the etrac and the 505
curtis

Which coil do you have? If not the HF coil, then you haven't optimized the machine for gold. The XT305 should do fairly well on small gold with the right coil for the task.

A buddy of mine runs a jewelery store here in KC. So today we took several different carat weights of gold and held them to the coil and noted the readings and sensitivity.
14K read a 4, but the unit was not very sensitive to it. I was actually disappointed at how many times we moved that piece of jeweler's bench repair gold across the coil and it did not read it.
18k bracelet read a 4 a little more sensitive than the 14k and 24k
24k read a 5-6 and once again the machine did not record it being passed by the coil very well.
A white gold wedding band hit 4 with poor recognition as well
A couple of different nugget rings were reading 5-6 and read strong. My jeweler buddy said that he thought the alloy mix of the different pieces was the cause and maybe adjusting sensitivity would make a difference out in the ground.
Platinum ring did not hit on it at all, a gold watch hit strong, but there is a bunch of other metals in the mechanism too.

Am I needing to make a sensitivity adjustment to get it to hit gold better?

I worked a couple of sand volleyball courts this morning and only found one nickel in them. Considering the courts were located on a large church yard in a very high dollar home area I figured I might get at least one small piece of gold out of it, but no beans

Conductivity comes into play some, but I am surprised the 24k did not hit better.
I swung Ryanchappell's once for a bit...a little slower response time so swinging at just the right speed is important on all the Minelabs.

Chains in gold or silver are very difficult for most detectors that are not named Compadre.

The links diffuse the eddy currents and the return signal is messed up, if the detector can pick it up at all.

Broken rings will have to be shallow to find...that eddy current thing again.

Your best bet, a high frequency 18.75 kHz coil as suggested above, or spend a little less and get a Compadre.

Also, don't expect gold...I never do.
I let it surprise me.

Finding gold items is doable but rare, very frustrating to assume any given site holds gold unless you are hunting a gold bearing site out west or in Alaska.

If you are testing chains, your results don't sound suprising. If you are testing rings, you have problems. Rings should hit as hard as any coin.

Sounds typical of the 305. My first gold I hit with that machine w/ stock coil was a 21.7 gram heavy link 14k bracelet. I was on totally dry sand, and in a heavy trash area. I was running it in mode#1 with no discrim. (I believe it runs hotter in that mode as opposed to AM) and sensitivity on 9 in those conditions. The bracelet hit as an 8. depth was 5 "
I wasn't surprised, because previous air tests revealed the same results you had on yours. I would suggest a HF DD coil.

Try the Tesoro Compadre and hold on to your horses!
Ya got that right buddy, the Compadre would scare those that have never used one testing gold & jewelry. Main reason that I sold my Xterra 305 was because it hardly ever found me a nickle so I knew it would be a poor jewelry hunter & I didn't/don't have the $$$ for a high freq. coil for it. Minelab is nutz on what they charge for coils.

Try testing those items buried in the dirt at 3-5-7 inches with different brands and model detectors. It can be interesting. If you do it please report back with your findings.

Last edited:
Tried your test with the 505 using the 5x10 hr elipticle coil and the compadre. As much as I like the Compadre I have to say that there was no item that I tested that the compadre found that the xterra didn't. I like the compadre and will use it next season but wanted you to know that the hf coil makes a difference

you need the 18khz coil if you really want to hunt for gold
You could probably buy a Compadre for the cost of the 18kHz Xterra coil, that way you would have two detectors. Nothing wrong with having a decent detector and having the very best at the same time ;):D.

Back
Top Bottom