Decision time , would like some thoughts..

Lakota

Elite Member
So I have been pounding the pages here, reviews, real world experiences for more hours then I care to admit and have come down to 2 detectors that I think will cover me for a good while and do what I could ask of them..

Would like to hear experiences from users...

Teknetics T2 ( standard )

And

Minelabs 705

Let me hear your thoughts of which you like and why guys , appreciate your help on this.

Lakota

Here is the answer you are looking for.

I like the T2 over the Xterra 705
Here are some of the reasons why;
T2 Made in USA vs. ML 305 Made in Malaysia
Teknetics is US owned and more $ stays in US economy while ML is foreign owned siphoning money out of the US economy
5 year warranty vs. 3 years
Better balance and ergonomics on the T2
T2 is faster and better in iron
1-99 digital target ID on T2 instead of the 1-28 on Xterra
100 steps of sensitivity adjustment on T2 vs. only 30 on ML
More iron resolution for better unmasking good stuff around ironhunting on the T2
7 freq shifts on T2 vs. 5 on Xterra 705
Fe304 meter on T2 none on ML
T2 has true all metal mode with digital target ID vs. ML has a ‘zero disc’ mode that they call confusingly ‘all metal’ with the digital ID and then true ‘all metal mode’ is called prospecting mode without a target ID.
1000 steps of Ground balance resolution on T2 and only 90 on Xterra better in bad soil
Ground balance error indicator on T2 none on Xterra
40-50 hours on 4 AA T2 and only 20-30 hours on 4AA on ML

Best to buy from one of the forum sponsers.

Mike @ Teknetics

Mike , Thank you for your input.

I had been leaning towards the T2, Just looking for those little details that end up moving me more towards one or the other , and I am still searching out info from users/owners while I have this post going.... I want to make the most informed choice I can. so all help is most appreciated.

Lakota

Xterra 705 without a doubt. I have the 505 and my buddy has the f5 both brands made by the same company not only do I consistently find stuff his misses but my did and tone I'd is much more accurate. Also the f5 feels flimsy and cheap compared to the xterra. Oh and you can change the frequency by changing coils. Want gold use an 18.75 kHz coil I want deeper silver and or relics use a 3khzdoubt coil or use a mid range 7.5 kHz coil that alone gives you three detectors for the price of extra coils. PS mike is full of it because he works for the manufacturer. Most opinions are biased. By detonation he blatantly mis leads. Don't take my word for it search his posts the all use the same strategy. Then read some of the posts from xterra users who don't have any vested interest in a particular brand. He is metal detecting equivalent of the stereotypical. Used car salesman.

OK, I'll give it to you from an Xterra owner's view.
First of all, I'll start out with the fact that I know virtually nothing about the T2, so I'll not speak to it at all.

The Xterra is a remarkable machine. Comparing it to any other is tough, due to it's unique technology. There simply aren't any others out there incorporating Vflex chips. The ability to change to any one of three fixed frequencies on one machine by doing nothing more than changing coils, is not only unique, but economical and extremely practical as well. The only other option is having several dedicated detectors, all of which have their own learning curves, and all told will cost a small fortune if all are of the similar/same capability level.

The Xterra is super easy to use. Or as complicated as you want. Almost everything can be done automatically, or manually.
Sensitivity, Threshold, volume, number of tones, and GB Offset are all manual only controls.
GB Tracking, Target ID Stability, and Beach Mode are all either ON or OFF.
You have a choice of PinPoint Auto or PinPoint Sizing.
You have four Discrimination pattterns available. All of which can be user modified. And the machine remembers them. ID segments are from -8 to 48 in two digit notches totaling 28 ID segments. In Multi-Tone, each of the 28 segments has it's own tone. You can of course choose either one, two, three, four, or Multi tones.
If you're a prospector, then you'll like the Prospector Mode w/Iron Mask. No ID, but it is true no-motion all metal.

Then there are coils. The 6" and 9" coils are waterproof. The others are only considered water resistant. There are currently four different High Frequency, three Medium Frequency, and one Low Frequency coils available from MineLab, as well as a CoilTek 15" WOT MF and a couple clandestine coils from N.E.L..

Oh, and my 705 was Made In Australia. Many were also Made In Ireland.

Xterra 705 without a doubt. I have the 505 and my buddy has the f5 both brands made by the same company not only do I consistently find stuff his misses but my did and tone I'd is much more accurate. Also the f5 feels flimsy and cheap compared to the xterra. Oh and you can change the frequency by changing coils. Want gold use an 18.75 kHz coil I want deeper silver and or relics use a 3khzdoubt coil or use a mid range 7.5 kHz coil that alone gives you three detectors for the price of extra coils. PS mike is full of it because he works for the manufacturer. Most opinions are biased. By detonation he blatantly mis leads. Don't take my word for it search his posts the all use the same strategy. Then read some of the posts from xterra users who don't have any vested interest in a particular brand. He is metal detecting equivalent of the stereotypical. Used car salesman.

Huh?
A guy asks a question and no one answers for a day so I answer and list reasons and features ‘why’ I like one detector over another and I am ‘full of it’?
What part of the comparisons that I gave do you find untrue or misleading? They are all factual if you do your research. Yes please read all my old posts….In them I list reasons in bullet point fashion why the detectors I recommend are superior over others along with facts and my opinions on units. Just because I know and list out why what I recommend is better doesn’t make it untrue when I point it out……..
As a sponsor I would think I could have my say especially after the guy asking the question was ready to ‘flip a coin’ after no one else responded for a day.
Are my posts biased?-you bet- same as everyone else’s. they are biased towards recommending the detector they prefer over another that they feel is inferior-its just that I back it up with reasons and facts, but according to you thats ‘misleading’?
You listed your biased points vs. my list of biased points on why you feel the 705 is superior.
Here they are;
You find more stuff and have better tones with your ML Xterra 505 than your friend finds with his Fisher F5-I don’t see where this is relavant to a Tek T2 and ML Xterra 705?
The Fisher F5 feels flimsy and cheap compared to the 505-again these are 2 totally different detectors…..
The ability to change coils and frequency-Ok at least this applies to the units we are talking about and it’s a great feature if you don’t mind spending an additional $150-$200 to do so. IMHO freq helps but not that much.

What points did I make that were ‘full of it’ or ‘misleading’. I don’t understand why you have a problem with me answering this guys questions with known factual information.

Did I say something that you disagree with? If so let me know what it is…..I am more than happy to discuss or defend my points and will admit I was wrong if you can show me otherwise.

I even signed my name Mike @ Teknetics to make it clear I was with the company….sheeesh

OK, I'll give it to you from an Xterra owner's view.
First of all, I'll start out with the fact that I know virtually nothing about the T2, so I'll not speak to it at all.

The Xterra is a remarkable machine. Comparing it to any other is tough, due to it's unique technology. There simply aren't any others out there incorporating Vflex chips. The ability to change to any one of three fixed frequencies on one machine by doing nothing more than changing coils, is not only unique, but economical and extremely practical as well. The only other option is having several dedicated detectors, all of which have their own learning curves, and all told will cost a small fortune if all are of the similar/same capability level.

The Xterra is super easy to use. Or as complicated as you want. Almost everything can be done automatically, or manually.
Sensitivity, Threshold, volume, number of tones, and GB Offset are all manual only controls.
GB Tracking, Target ID Stability, and Beach Mode are all either ON or OFF.
You have a choice of PinPoint Auto or PinPoint Sizing.
You have four Discrimination pattterns available. All of which can be user modified. And the machine remembers them. ID segments are from -8 to 48 in two digit notches totaling 28 ID segments. In Multi-Tone, each of the 28 segments has it's own tone. You can of course choose either one, two, three, four, or Multi tones.
If you're a prospector, then you'll like the Prospector Mode w/Iron Mask. No ID, but it is true no-motion all metal.

Then there are coils. The 6" and 9" coils are waterproof. The others are only considered water resistant. There are currently four different High Frequency, three Medium Frequency, and one Low Frequency coils available from MineLab, as well as a CoilTek 15" WOT MF and a couple clandestine coils from N.E.L..

Oh, and my 705 was Made In Australia. Many were also Made In Ireland.

Thanks for the information-there is no doubt both are good machines. Some like other feature sets over others and some features are more important to some. Like I said in my post I listed why I thought the T2 was better.

Mike

Thanks for the information-there is no doubt both are good machines. Some like other feature sets over others and some features are more important to some. Like I said in my post I listed why I thought the T2 was better.

Mike
No problem here Mike. I didn't see anything but a little personal slant. Nothing unexpected or out of line......about like mine.

I have no doubt that the T2 is a great machine....only that I think that the 705 is more flexible. :cool:

Both are rediculously light compared to many other machines. I can swing the 705 all day, and do it again tomorrow no trouble.

I like the T2 over the Xterra 705
Here are some of the reasons why;
T2 Made in USA vs. ML 305 Made in Malaysia
Teknetics is US owned and more $ stays in US economy while ML is foreign owned siphoning money out of the US economy
5 year warranty vs. 3 years
Better balance and ergonomics on the T2
T2 is faster and better in iron
1-99 digital target ID on T2 instead of the 1-28 on Xterra
100 steps of sensitivity adjustment on T2 vs. only 30 on ML
More iron resolution for better unmasking good stuff around ironhunting on the T2
7 freq shifts on T2 vs. 5 on Xterra 705
Fe304 meter on T2 none on ML
T2 has true all metal mode with digital target ID vs. ML has a ‘zero disc’ mode that they call confusingly ‘all metal’ with the digital ID and then true ‘all metal mode’ is called prospecting mode without a target ID.
1000 steps of Ground balance resolution on T2 and only 90 on Xterra better in bad soil
Ground balance error indicator on T2 none on Xterra
40-50 hours on 4 AA T2 and only 20-30 hours on 4AA on ML

Best to buy from one of the forum sponsers.

Mike @ Teknetics

Great facts Mike! Wow reading this I would go for the T2. Facts are true and not misleading.

LOL OP knows my choice

The T2 is a highly recommended Machine. I chose the 705 because I wanted Its ability to become whatever machine I wanted or needed at any given time. I actually I think the Vaquero knocked the T2 off of my final list somehow....:biker::digginahole::biker:

So I have been pounding the pages here, reviews, real world experiences for more hours then I care to admit and have come down to 2 detectors that I think will cover me for a good while and do what I could ask of them..

Would like to hear experiences from users...

Teknetics T2 ( standard )

And

Minelabs 705

Let me hear your thoughts of which you like and why guys , appreciate your help on this.

Lakota
Lakota,

Always, feel free to call me with questions about both or any machine. Love to help answer your questions!

detectors

As you see. you're going to get biased opinions. This is the norm when asking this question. Do your research, read posts by users of these machines, and only you can make the right decision for you. Also be advised, some machines will work in different locations where others won't due to ground conditions and EMI. An example is a club member has a F75LTD and can't use it to get the depth he wants in my county due to mineralization but yet in his county just north, it works well. I agree, contact the sponsors. Just make sure the ones you contact handle both detectors you're interested in purchasing.

Guys I realize who Mike is employed by, I still found his thoughts on the T2 useful .. Thanks again for your insights Mike.

Thanks to the Minelab users, I have to agree the coil swapping does hold some nice points , Dont have much in the way of prospecting in my neck of the woods unfortunately.. Except the swimming holes that is, Seems the only people to make money off of gold mines in Arkansas's history were ones swindling others with would-be gold mines ;)

And believe me I am all about versitility , Some of my favorite firearms are so for their great versitility...

Depth is also a key factor here, the relic hunting I will be doing is heavy woods, that deposit alot litter to the forrest floor every year ..

Longhair still dont know what the true advantages are of Vflex tech. are , I know the Minelabs sound like my wife playing her flute drunk :lol: But I still dont quite understand where it benifits over other brands that arent Vflex.

Top Pop Thank you , Though the 505 and F5 arent in my crosshairs at this time.

Again thank you guys for the help.

P.S. Bart are you on the clock on the weekends ?

As you see. you're going to get biased opinions. This is the norm when asking this question. Do your research, read posts by users of these machines, and only you can make the right decision for you. Also be advised, some machines will work in different locations where others won't due to ground conditions and EMI. An example is a club member has a F75LTD and can't use it to get the depth he wants in my county due to mineralization but yet in his county just north, it works well. I agree, contact the sponsors. Just make sure the ones you contact handle both detectors you're interested in purchasing.

Dirt oh I knew I would get sided opinions , and that is fine I'm a Chevy man so I understand.

But it allows me a chance to pick others brains for the details about said machine, and perhaps what keeps them with it. Them devils are in the details.

Yeah I was worried about the rock situation here in Ar. After checking out a Geo Service map of soils used by one of our sponsors , seems my soil isn't that bad, but I have found some noisey rocks in locations, over all I dont know that the soil will be as bad as I initially thought.

[/QUOTE]Just make sure the ones you contact handle both detectors you're interested in purchasing.[/QUOTE]

I did ;)

Lakota

Longhair still dont know what the true advantages are of Vflex tech. are , I know the Minelabs sound like my wife playing her flute drunk :lol: But I still dont quite understand where it benifits over other brands that arent Vflex.
This will help you to understand what Vflex does.
http://www.minelab.com/usa/consumer/knowledge-base/minelab-technologies

My point was more that it's difficult to compare machines that utilize different technologies. Vflex effects transmit and receive in a way that no other machine does, making construction, software, and firmware differences completely unique.

I'm sure that both machines would do well, but situations like what DirtAngler described aren't uncommon around here too. And as a result, I have coils for all three frequencies. And, I like my 3kHz coil so much for deep coins and relics, that I'd find it hard to give up for a 13kHz fixed frequency machine. Having the ability to tailor my machine to the conditions and targets that I'm after is a huge plus.
Not many gold mines in Michigan either.

okay I'll throw my 2 cents in here...and these are just my personal decisions,observations and needs for the way I hunt and are no way negative towards any one brand, type of detector. Little over a year ago I decided it was time to upgrade my old whites idx I'd had for about 10-12 yrs..bought a xterra 505...nothing wrong with it just not as many features as I would have liked...then garrett came out with the atpro...so I traded for a pro...had it about 6 months...sent it back to garrett several times for repair's and decided to upgrade again...so I traded it off for a f-75ltd..very deep,light machine...but after about 4 months had all the noise I could stand...so I traded it off for a Safari, had the Safari for about 1 1/2 months couldn't ever get the depth I expected for it..not even in my old test garden..after trying every trick in the book and talking to some very experienced Safari users found this is common for some areas...no big deal I just traded it off again...went back to a xterra 705, knowing from having the 505 earlier, that in my neck of the woods the xterra's are very deep and the versatility of being able to change freq. by changing the coils is a plus, also like longhair stated there are enough features to drive you insane if you like that or enough auto features to make it very simple. Just my 2 cents and my personal journey.
Greg

Re-reading through this thread I noticed something I dont know how I over looked...

LongHair said the ML coils for the Xterra " Are supossed to be water proof "

Is the Xterra line up of coils having issues with water penetration of the coils shell ? I have a considerable amount of water ways around me and using the coil in water is a feature that is a must for me.... Alot of the old home steads from the late 1800s are around and close to river sources, I cant imagine not taking advantage of those possible finds.

Whats the story on this?

Lakota

The 6" MF concentric, 6" HF DD, and all three frequency 9" concentrics are waterproof, as are the CoilTek 15" WOT MF DD and the N.E.L.'s.

The 10.5" MF DD, 10.5"HF DD, and 5x10" eliptical are water resistant.

And truth be told, waterproof means "can be submerged 1 meter for sustained periods". I've heard of folks shallow water hunting with 10.5" coils after sealing the coil cover to the coil and sealing the cord and grommet, all with silicone.

Back
Top Bottom