#8 FTY and its BIG Spanish Silver!!!!

louie088

Elite Member
I haven't been doing much social media lately, trying to enjoy the moments without the pressures of documenting them via video / etc. But I had to share this one.
Yesterday was a hot one so I just went across the street from my house to an older property with a big yard that I got permission to detect a while ago. Its the place I go when I don't feel like driving anywhere and just want to swing the detector a dig a couple holes to get my fix.
I was in a spot where Ive found some of the older items from that yard. Its littered with iron and nails too. I was going slow with the CTX and getting a barley audible high tone with mostly low iron tones. I decided to dig it and man am I glad I did.
to my surprise it was in the bottom of the plug and was so dirty I though it was a Large Cent!
After I was rubbing it for a second (ouch) lol I started to see some shinny and immediately stoped!

1786 Spanish 2 Real !!!!!!!

Took it home to clean it a little better, it was really oxidized with iron and what looks like copper oxidization?
I still intend on cleaning it a little more to my liking. I don't want it shiny but id like to remove more of the oxidization.
Thank you guys for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_1419 copy.jpg
    IMG_1419 copy.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_1420 copy.jpg
    IMG_1420 copy.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1431 copy.jpg
    IMG_1431 copy.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1432 copy.jpg
    IMG_1432 copy.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
That's an awesome surprise from your "go to" spot! Congrats! I've been doing most of my detecting lately out in Westmoreland county but haven't found anything like that yet!

Yowser. I wouldn't be posting much either, I'd be out looking for more of those. Nice find.

I haven't been doing much social media lately, trying to enjoy the moments without the pressures of documenting them via video / etc. But I had to share this one.
Yesterday was a hot one so I just went across the street from my house to an older property with a big yard that I got permission to detect a while ago. Its the place I go when I don't feel like driving anywhere and just want to swing the detector a dig a couple holes to get my fix.
I was in a spot where Ive found some of the older items from that yard. Its littered with iron and nails too. I was going slow with the CTX and getting a barley audible high tone with mostly low iron tones. I decided to dig it and man am I glad I did.
to my surprise it was in the bottom of the plug and was so dirty I though it was a Large Cent!
After I was rubbing it for a second (ouch) lol I started to see some shinny and immediately stoped!

1786 Spanish 2 Real !!!!!!!

Took it home to clean it a little better, it was really oxidized with iron and what looks like copper oxidization?
I still intend on cleaning it a little more to my liking. I don't want it shiny but id like to remove more of the oxidization.
Thank you guys for reading!

Holed Spanish silver, the only item on my bucket list. Congrats!

So very happy for you Louie. A dream find and one that is on so many's bucketlist. The coin looks to be in pretty fair condition and I know I'd love to have dug it. A surprise dig like that would surely light up my day. Congrats on a very special coin. Trapper

That is totally amazing!
I believe there are still thousands of incredible coins in the ground, probably in the hole with nails and such:yes:
Great intuition!

:dingding: Dream/bucket list find for me so it gets the dinger! :wow:

Back
Top Bottom