• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Looks Like "No Metal Detecting" to Me, Agree or Disagree? Your Thoughts?

PlasteredDragon

Elite Member
a) In any park owned or operated by the Town of Hudson, no person shall cut, break, move, take or otherwise injure, destroy, or deface any trees, shrubs, plants, turf, rock, or any building, fence, bridge sign, or other structure, nor foul any spring or stream, nor shall any person dump any earth, rubbish, or other substance or material in or upon any park without written permission of the Executive Assistant or his designee.

Well? What do you think?

You cut break or move the grass when you walk on it. Is that outlawed too?

Personally I'd wait till some park official called me on it if that extremely vague description is all you're basing your concern on.

Disclaimer: This response in no way condones all the BS that seems to occur when this subject is raised. :sissyfight:

aaaand Tom, in 3-2-1...... :laughing: That being said, I'll just go ahead and agree with him here. Pretty sure all parks have some sort of written code like this. Make sure it's not some historical/off limits thing and give it a whirl.

I got chased out of a local park by the police due to someone digging holes and not filling them in, causing a jogger to twist her ankle. As this hobby becomes more popular we're seeing more parks enforce rules on digging. Sad.

I got chased out of a local park by the police due to someone digging holes and not filling them in, causing a jogger to twist her ankle. As this hobby becomes more popular we're seeing more parks enforce rules on digging. Sad.

This has also happened in Gardner, MA... some yahoo dug up the parks and now there are "no metal detecting" signs in every Gardner park. We're having a similar problem in Fitchburg, MA and it is seriously pissing me off. It's only a matter of time before there is no metal detecting anywhere because of idiots who have no business holding a detector.

Seems pretty clear on the written permission portion. Think I'd see about obtain the paper first. Was there any mention of fines, or other penalties? Even if it's a lifetime ban for all parks, it could be inconvenient, might not be welcome at some event you may wish to attend, or embarrassing if you are sort of obligated, go anyway, and are asked to leave. You never really know how it goes, until you actually talk to someone. Sure, could be that no one really cares, long as there isn't a mess to clean up. Could also be strictly enforced. Might be some parks are open to metal detecting, and others they'd prefer you didn't.

I don't see the big problem, usually the person that answers the phone, or greets you when you visit in person, isn't a policy make, but someone to assist you, answer questions. Their main job is to help you, I don't believe they lie, or make stuff up, most people take some pride in their work, not to mention it kind of puts their job on the line, if you don't accept the answer give, and you push high up the chain, to get what you want. They won't say stuff, that's going make their boss look bad. If it's a no-go, you can consider other options, or other places to hunt.

I personally would just contact who ever was in charge of the parks and ask.Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Pish Posh! Mankind has been digging holes on this Earth for eons! Dont let some pencil neck taxpayer financed beerucrat stop you! Write your own permission slip! download some sort of official looking coccamamie permission document off the internet and print it out! Go in off hours and only carry a screwdriver!...Anyone in authority asks, just say your "Wife/Daughter lost her ring at last weekends breast cancer fund raiser run"....nothing more...

I once said, "Coach Johnson asked me to come out here to find his wedding ring he thinks he lost here during the track meet last week..wont take me but a minute, all I got is this screwdriver"...:laughing:

I dont know no coach Johnson!...minor detail!...just 'cause a stranger asks you a question, dont mean you have to give them an honest answer!

This is actually a good thing! If you Man up and get bold, You have the whole place to yourself!:laughing: If you do get 'cuffed and stuffed', have somebody take a picture of the event!...Tom will give you $100! Buck up and think of poor coach Johnson will ya?! This aint rocket surgery! Get out there and find that imaginary lost ring willya?! Before some dope runs over it with the mower! :laughing: (Hows that Tom? Ol' Muds got this one for you! You can stand down and keep your powder dry!)
Mud

Looks like you got two options.

First would be play dumb, and hit it. And hope for the best. If someone catches you it will be off limits to you forever, and the slight chance of a fine.

The second is to go by the last line and ask for permission. Which there is a chance they could do so, since it's in their law.

I'd do the second. Better be safe than sorry, and not trying to be high and mighty, but if you are aware there is an ordnance, we probably should follow the rule, and seek the permission needed.

Good luck.

I personally would just contact who ever was in charge of the parks and ask.Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Thanks jerr-man, and all others who responded. At the risk of being reprimanded by Tom, this is the course of action I chose to take:

Dear Director XXXXX:

Hi! I’m a local metal detectorist from Fitchburg and I am curious about any rules or regulations regarding metal detecting in Hudson public parks. As you no doubt know metal detecting is legal in public parks in Massachusetts as long as there are no local ordinances against it. I looked at your Parks & Recreation website but I didn’t see anything there about it and just wanted to double check with you.

As you know, detecting involves both surface finds, and retrieval of metal items just below the surface. This is done in a cosmetic fashion that leaves the ground with no visible defects once the target has been retrieved. A good detectorist will pass on retrieval of a target when it cannot be done cleanly, or when soil conditions are such that retrieval will cause undue yellowing of grass (typically the result of retrieving targets after a long dry spell, or in an area that receives very little water).

Please let me know if there are any local ordinances in Hudson with respect to detecting in public parks, and any specific rules and regulations I should be aware of. Thank you so much!

Chuck Seggelin
Fitchburg, MA
(XXX) XXX-XXXX

Thanks jerr-man, and all others who responded. At the risk of being reprimanded by Tom, this is the course of action I chose to take:

We all have to do what our personal feelings direct us.

If I don't see a "No Metal Detecting" sign or when I check statues and it is not spelled out that metal detecting is forbidden I would approach the park causally. I would just use a probe and not cut plugs. To each his own.

By the way, great letter!

Too late now, but I would have described exactly how a plug is dug and replaced. Just saying the dirt is removed and replaced doesn't leave a good picture in your head. Maybe attach a picture of a cut plug also.

Use a screwdriver for your probe. You'd be making the same size hole as a bird's beak breaking soil to retrieve a worm. :laughing:

That is the exact language that my county has and they enforce it. But as some have said, it is probably in a lot of parks language. Just start swinging around the main parks office, if no one stops you in an hour, call it permission.

BCD

Pish Posh! Mankind has been digging holes on this Earth for eons! Dont let some pencil neck taxpayer financed beerucrat stop you! Write your own permission slip! download some sort of official looking coccamamie permission document off the internet and print it out! Go in off hours and only carry a screwdriver!...Anyone in authority asks, just say your "Wife/Daughter lost her ring at last weekends breast cancer fund raiser run"....nothing more...

I once said, "Coach Johnson asked me to come out here to find his wedding ring he thinks he lost here during the track meet last week..wont take me but a minute, all I got is this screwdriver"...:laughing:

I dont know no coach Johnson!...minor detail!...just 'cause a stranger asks you a question, dont mean you have to give them an honest answer!

This is actually a good thing! If you Man up and get bold, You have the whole place to yourself!:laughing: If you do get 'cuffed and stuffed', have somebody take a picture of the event!...Tom will give you $100! Buck up and think of poor coach Johnson will ya?! This aint rocket surgery! Get out there and find that imaginary lost ring willya?! Before some dope runs over it with the mower! :laughing: (Hows that Tom? Ol' Muds got this one for you! You can stand down and keep your powder dry!)
Mud

:lol: Mud's on a roll!

nor foul any spring or stream

Never mind metal detecting........... You cant even piss off a bridge into a stream. You get a few young boys on a bridge.. and its only a matter of time before someone pisses off of it. Its just a rule of nature.

Im willing to bet people still let there dogs !!!! all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom