Looking to purchase Garrett AT Pro Pointer

SeaToSky69

At least I'm pretty sure that's the one I want ...

I need something waterproof and great quality. Seems like from reviews I've read, this is the one. Anyone disagree? Also, is it better to match pinpointer brands to brand of machine? Or doesn't it matter?

New to the MDing game, so any advice would be appreciated! And I'd love to purchase from someone connected with this board, obviously.

Absolutely the way to go. But, of course, the best is "subjective". In my humble opinion, you simply can't go wrong with a "carrot".

Not to start a huge debate here:surrender: but look at the Makro pinpointer. All I used in the past were the Garretts, from the original black pointers to the Carrots. They worked good but the tip wears until a hole is formed and some had falsing issues. I acquired a Makro and a Whites TRX from a member on another popular forum; both were like new and I used both in a comparison.
The Makro comes with very durable tip protectors, one smooth and one with a very well defined scraper edge.(These tip protectors can also be purchased separately as needed) Some of us use our pinpointers to scrape when we are in the heat of the moment recovering what we hope to be a great find. In doing this though, it will wear on the tip of the pinpointer. I sold the TRX but I have had my Makro now for 2 years and have experienced ZERO problems and the tip of the pinpointer still looks like new.
Just something to consider.
We all work or worked(retired guys/gals) hard for our money and we want to get the best bang for the buck, especially since MD'ing is our hobby/passion. Just my $.02:D

Another vote for something other than Garrett. Some of us here had issues, sent them in for Warranty repairs, and got them back with the same issue.

Garrett is absolutely garbage, the older ones last about 3 months and the carrot lasts about a year. I’ve gone through 3 originals and one carrot. Switched to whites and minelab 2 years ago and both are going strong still.

New to the forum here. Got into the hobby a few years ago and got a propointer. Had it for about a year. Took good care of it as well as the MXT Pro. Went to use it one afternoon and it seemed to ground out as it got a solid tone the minute you turned it on until you turned it off. Went to the dealer I bought it from and was told to contact Garrett. Made the call and was told that it cost $100 to diagnose and repair. Hell, I only paid a few more than that for it new! You couldn't give me another one. Circumstances forced me to sell my gear a couple of years ago and I'm about to get back into it. I won't be buying another Garrett. Don't really know if it was the disappointment or the attitude I got from the factory...my .02

New to the forum here. Got into the hobby a few years ago and got a propointer. Had it for about a year. Took good care of it as well as the MXT Pro. Went to use it one afternoon and it seemed to ground out as it got a solid tone the minute you turned it on until you turned it off. Went to the dealer I bought it from and was told to contact Garrett. Made the call and was told that it cost $100 to diagnose and repair. Hell, I only paid a few more than that for it new! You couldn't give me another one. Circumstances forced me to sell my gear a couple of years ago and I'm about to get back into it. I won't be buying another Garrett. Don't really know if it was the disappointment or the attitude I got from the factory...my .02

"Got into the hobby a few years ago and got a propointer. Had it for about a year."

"Made the call and was told that it cost $100 to diagnose and repair."

Something is messed up. The pointer comes with a 2 year warranty.

Martin, that's what I thought. I asked the Garrett tech if the hundred would be refunded if factory defect was the cause and was told no, that was the rate. I really didn't get it, but I don't think you could give me one of their products after that. Might have been a bad day, but a pretty glaring mistake for my confidence in a Garrett product. just sayin'...

"Got into the hobby a few years ago and got a propointer. Had it for about a year."

"Made the call and was told that it cost $100 to diagnose and repair."

Something is messed up. The pointer comes with a 2 year warranty.

That’s a hard no. My Garrett propointer only had a year warranty. They sent me a new one (well refurb) that only had 30 days of warranty didn’t last 3 months before it quit working. Falsing and power button problems.

That’s a hard no. My Garrett propointer only had a year warranty. They sent me a new one (well refurb) that only had 30 days of warranty didn’t last 3 months before it quit working. Falsing and power button problems.

iu

I originally had the standard pro pointer. Used the heck out of it. Had a problem with it and garrett had it repaired and back to me in record time.

When the carrot came out I purchased one and absolutely no problems.

IF IT fails tomorrow I will immediately call my favorite detector seller and order another one.

Never mind. I see now that yours was not new. "Stuff" happens, but I definitely agree, $100 for analyzing a problem was outrageous. That's the first report I've heard about Garrett like this. I once heard $50 charge but that was the tops.

If a NEW Propointer from Garretts was refused service beyond one year, then I'd point them to their own website. Says 2 years there.

https://garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_pro-pointer_at_main_en.aspx

Believe whatever you want, I gaurentee you my propointer I bought in Canada in 2013-14 only came with one year warranty. Garrett is a joke of a company to deal with. My Garrett carrot could have had 2 years but after it failed in just under one season I sold it. Will never deal with Garrett again. If it is actually 2 f*** Garrett even more. I never had a full 2 year warranty. Had to pay some kind of bs fee every time I’ve sent anything in to Garrett exept my carrot so if not paying 1 out of 5 times is what you call a warranty then so be it.

Last edited:
Just so we’re clear. I bought a brand new propointer it quit working after about 5 months. Kept falsing and turning off randomly. Sent that one in. Garrett said it was no good sent me a refurb one that one had 30 day warranty on it. It broke 3 months later after a bunch of bs from Garrett they sent me out a brand new one I had to pay for shipping on it and the refurb had to pay also $70 for it. This one had a year warranty on it. Again only lasted about 5 months and it too broke. Falsing and battery wouldn’t make contact with the leads in the back. So sent it back in had to again pay shipping. Paid $120 upgrade cost to get the carrot this time because everyone was saying it was fixed and great. Not so much didn’t last a full year. Did get a no cost to me replacement carrot that I sold. But the hours on the phone fighting with that hillbilly lady from Garrett and all the money and bitching never again will I deal with them. This doesn’t include the struggle I’ve had with my at Pro either. I caution anyone not to use them maybe it’s an international issue they only like Americans. Either way they lost my business. I hunt on average 20 hours a week and use my equipment quite frequently. I would highly recommend minelab or whites pinpointers over Garrett garbage any day.

Whites TRX has worked well for me, only problem after 2 years is the little foam pad that holds the battery tight needed a little more thickness. I get some occasional falsing that goes away turning it off and on.

Back
Top Bottom