Hot Wheels can be your most valuable finds

HipsterKitty

I am very much into collecting Hot Wheels. Normally I just let myself benefit from their value, but you guys seem nice. I'm sure most of you will pull up toy cars and stick them in your junk stash right away. You don't realize that some Hot Wheels are worth THOUSANDS, even in terrible condition. If you find one, I'll be happy to value it for you. And if I'm not around, here's a helpful guide:

Www.southtexasdiecast.com/hwguide

Note: To find a car that doesn't have a name on the base, take the year on the base and add one. Nine times out of ten, that's when it first came out. The year on the base is the copyright year, and if it's not one year early, it's either the same year, two years early, or very rarely 3 or 4. So yeah, add one and then scroll down to the by year section, and just find the one that looks like yours. Then look at the descriptions and/or pictures to find which one you have, and the value is the first price shown to the right. The other price is NIB, and you're not gonna find that underground. One final note: the price is what to expect on a good day with a near-mint car. I usually divide that number in half for antique shop finds, so if it doesn't clean up nicely, maybe divide it by five. That can still be worth thousands if you're lucky. ;)

I found seven so far, 1970 jeepster I would have to say is my favorite.
The three cars I found on the beach and the rest came from my yard.
I don't toss them out, I'm hoping someday maybe they will be worth something.
Thanks for the link, AL

Attachments

• DSCN1519.jpg
    DSCN1519.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 24,950
  • DSCN1520.jpg
    DSCN1520.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 25,487
  • DSCN1521.jpg
    DSCN1521.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 23,702
One I found recently. I don't know much about them. From just browsing the link you gave it could be worth something. Can you confirm?
It a Heavy Chevy dated 1969.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 24,157
  • IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 31,871
And to think, My mom sold all my hot wheels about 20 years ago at a garage sale. Along with my H.O. Model rail road set.... Never even asked. Just sold them "cause you never touch them anymore"..????LOL

And to think, My mom sold all my hot wheels about 20 years ago at a garage sale. Along with my H.O. Model rail road set.... Never even asked. Just sold them "cause you never touch them anymore"..????LOL

Which is normally the best thing you can do...forget about them and let the attic claim them for a few decades...i have a box full of golf balls still in their packaging from 20 years back plus..the wifes ex had them...i have no clue to the value of them but there must be about 100 boxes of 3.

And they aint cheap ones

One I found recently. I don't know much about them. From just browsing the link you gave it could be worth something. Can you confirm?
It a Heavy Chevy dated 1969.

Thanks in advance!

That's a good one ..

It's an original 1969 .. The Red Lines on the wheels are what you want to look for ..They have done repops of them, but I can tell it's an original ..
Not super rare and rough shape, but still worth something ..Most guys would buy it as a filler , for parts or would strip it down and do a custom repaint

Nice find ..

To all of you ..
There is a better chance of finding a 3 Carat Diamond ring then finding a Hot Wheels car worth thousands , especially dug out of the ground or sand ..

Actually, it's the rarest of the Heavy Chevys, rereleased in 1974. In mint condition, it's worth $800. Not even kidding. As it is now, at least $200 should be easy.
Great find!!

Show me one example anywhere on the net of a car in that condition bringing $200...

I guess it's nice to have dreams and fantasies though :roll:

Please tell me that you are offering him $200 and I will be on the way over to your house pronto, with a box truck full of Hot Wheels and diecast for you to make offers on..

Show me one example anywhere on the net of a car in that condition bringing $200...

I guess it's nice to have dreams and fantasies though :roll:

Please tell me that you are offering him $200 and I will be on the way over to your house pronto, with a box truck full of Hot Wheels and diecast for you to make offers on..

That model is nearly never green. Usually it comes in yellow when it has those decals. Even with poor quality, the green paint is insanely valuable. I don't have $200, but if you're going to convince him it's worthless I'll hand over 50 bucks and still turn a profit. I've been obsessed with the Flying Colors series recently. I guarantee that's one of the rarest.

Thanks -- I have a case of mine from when I was a kid. Will have to check them out when I get home

I have about 42million hot wheels from when I was a kid in the 70's and all of the ones bought for my kids, and all of the ones found...well, not 42million, but quite a few...

not only do i have to go through all of the yugioh/pokemon/magic cards for them, now it's going to be hot wheels!..

great link btw!

That model is nearly never green. Usually it comes in yellow when it has those decals. Even with poor quality, the green paint is insanely valuable. I don't have $200, but if you're going to convince him it's worthless I'll hand over 50 bucks and still turn a profit. I've been obsessed with the Flying Colors series recently. I guarantee that's one of the rarest.

Where did I state that it was worthless ??

I was the first to respond and say that it was a good one...

I'm saying that your numbers are insanely ridiculous and if he can get you to even send him $50 for it, then I say hat's off to him..

I don't care how much lime green is worth, cause in that condition it is not worth what you are claiming..
If you want to blow smoke up people's butt's, well god bless, but I am a realist..

I would be SHOCKED if that car even brought the $50 you say you would pay, if it was placed on eBay..I hope he can prove me wrong, cause that would be awesome to dig a beat up HW car from the ground and get that sort of money..

I have about 42million hot wheels from when I was a kid in the 70's and all of the ones bought for my kids, and all of the ones found...well, not 42million, but quite a few...

not only do i have to go through all of the yugioh/pokemon/magic cards for them, now it's going to be hot wheels!..

great link btw!

Don't waste your time on the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh as they aren't worth much anymore, however the Magic cards could be a small score depending on the age and series...

The loose 70's HW's from your childhood could be pretty decent, even the 80's as more recent collectors like to buy older loose to add to their collection :)..It's the mid 90's and up that the value starts to diminish unless you have some rare variation , that is still MIP...Collectors of them can be pretty nittish though, when it comes to MIP..

Hey cool!
I found a Red Line!

1969 "Ice T"

Missing the roof and rear deck, though.

Again...That's a good one, however like with any collectible, condition is everything...

That one would be most likely just a good one for a custom repaint as the wheels are even rough...

There is another thread, where a member repainted a jeep and it came out absolutely awesome...
It's like taking a turd that is worthless and turning into something that someone would actually pay money for...

Back
Top Bottom