• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

An oldest and a first

teotwawki12

Elite Member
First of all, it's Veterans Day (or Armistice Day if you were born around 1918..) Hats off to all the veterans out there.

Total of four fields today, the first and third didn't give much up on this trip.

2nd Field provided me with my oldest dog license yet.....1900!! Soooo close to an 1800's dog license.... one day.

Last field was an old schoolhouse site I've hit repeatedly. Rumor has it there was a ballfield there a long time ago. Have tried the flat area to the west to no avail. Further back into the field, my buddy Jeremiah found his first silver Roosevelt, first Indianhead, and a flippin holed large cent a couple days ago before it got dark. I went back today and made 3 passes before I had to go. Popped a bale seal an my first Barber quarter. Sweet!

Last photo is to celebrate MO-VEMBER!! Get out and get your prostates checked boys!!!! :p

Attachments

• KIMG0645.jpg
    KIMG0645.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 348
  • KIMG0646.jpg
    KIMG0646.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 315
  • KIMG06442.jpg
    KIMG06442.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 308
  • KIMG0648.jpg
    KIMG0648.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 332
  • KIMG0649.jpg
    KIMG0649.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 319
  • KIMG0650.jpg
    KIMG0650.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 335
  • KIMG0651.jpg
    KIMG0651.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCN0288 (1280x960)2.jpg
    DSCN0288 (1280x960)2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCN0290 (1280x960).jpg
    DSCN0290 (1280x960).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCN0291 (1280x960).jpg
    DSCN0291 (1280x960).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN0292 (1280x960).jpg
    DSCN0292 (1280x960).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 297
  • KIMG0647.jpg
    KIMG0647.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 293
Awesome Barber. You should also check with some collectors on that dog tag. There are some people out there who will pay a nice chunk of change for those oldies. I was suprised at what some of those actually sell for.

Awesome Barber. You should also check with some collectors on that dog tag. There are some people out there who will pay a nice chunk of change for those oldies. I was suprised at what some of those actually sell for.

Will fit perfectly in my little collection of tags...so I guess that makes me a collector myself! ....she ain't for sale :grin:

Your stylin’ man! Awesome hunting, like the brass shotgun shell and of course the barber!

Yeah, those shells are pretty cool. The farm is putting in some sort of drainage or irrigation or something and ripped these long trenches to put in the plastic pipes. One of the trenches ripped into where the original home must've been buried into it's cellar. That hole with all the cellar stones is where I found that. I'm thinking I should see if they care if I dig down further into that cellar and see what pops up.....
Speaking of these things, I always wonder about the old capped wells in the homesteads that are now farm fields.... wonder if anybody has ever just stepped on the cap and it broke and down they went! ...or maybe they get filled in first, I dunno

Not only is the Barber great looking but a great find too....congrats!

Heck yeah! I sat there looking at the rim, enjoying the moment, contemplating whether I had me a Stander in there or a Washington...... when I rinsed it off and saw the eagle I believe curse words were uttered...

Big congrats on that gorgeous Barber quarter!! Still hoping for one of those to show up on one of my sites. I don't blame you for keeping the dog tag - I would, too. You just don't see them that old very often - a great one for your "collection".

I really like that bale seal, too. The more detecting I do, the more I find that I like the odd-ball historical pieces like bale/box car seals. There's just something about the idea that another item like it probably won't get found again - I simply love the more unique items that turn up!

What a great bunch of finds! I would love to know more about the all brass shotgun shell.. Had one long ago. Were they the norm at one time or a specialty item?

Speaking of these things, I always wonder about the old capped wells in the homesteads that are now farm fields.... wonder if anybody has ever just stepped on the cap and it broke and down they went! ...or maybe they get filled in first, I dunno

I always stay away from any old dug wells caped or not.
Some times they do fill them but the fill tends to settle over the years so there can be quite a drop if you did fall in.

I am also sure that the caps have broken when stepped on. Maybe not often but I would not like to have this happen.

What a great bunch of finds! I would love to know more about the all brass shotgun shell.. Had one long ago. Were they the norm at one time or a specialty item?

I THINK a bit of both....i’ve read that they were what was used prior to the development of paper hulls. But they were also manufactured after that because they could be reloaded... but each of the three I’ve found I’m SURE are pre-paper shells. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom