Help with whites prizm 3

Wesb

I bought a prizm 3 about 3-4 years ago for my dad and he never used it. So in the last few years I got it and carried it out a couple of times. Here's the problems I have been running into.

1. According to the manual the detector should make a repeatable high pitch beep beep sound on good targets. I always just get one beep but sometimes I get a repeatable beep beep. I dig the target usually to find trash like coke cans. When it's in the ground it makes a good sound but once you dig it up then it gives you the low pitch iron bad sound.

2. Sometimes I get a good hit and dig the indicated depth. I take the detector and search the plug and hole both. The detector never goes off it's like the target has vanished. I don't have a pin pointer but I'm really lookin into getting one. What would cause the target to all of a sudden appear gone?

3. The pinpoint mode on the detector seems to never be right. I end up digging huge holes. Is this just operator error?

4. The screen is always jumping around no matter where I go hunting or how low I turn the sensitivity down.

5. Lastly I decided to do a garden test. I buried a nickel a few inches deep and the detector would only pick it up half the time. Only once it give me a repeatable beep beep sound. Most the time it just beeped once and from what I was told you don't want to waste time diggin those targets. Sometimes it wouldn't even pick up the nickle. Frustration is starting to kick in for me. I'm pretty patient and understand it takes time to learn your machine. So I plan to keep on hunting with it this coming summer. Is there any helpful tips y'all could give me? Or would I be better off to upgrade to a new detector. I really like the reviews on the at pro and it's about in my price range. What should I do guys??

From my experience Whites detectors don't like coins once the dirt is disturbed so you may get a good signal before you dig and then have a hard time thereafter. A pinpointer is a must in those situations. It will also not give you optimum performance in a freshly dug hole you drop a coin in and cover up for the same reason. When you dig the hole for your test garden, push the coin into the packed dirt on the inside of the hole and it should work better. Ifyou get a loud repeating signal and you lift your coil off the ground a foot and still get a signal, congrats you have a can or large object. I'm not sure what coil you have on the Prizm 3 but you could be hunting in a trashy area with a large coil and that's enought to discourage anyone about their detector. I had a Prizm 5 and currently use a 6T and I have never had problems with coins at depths up to 8-9 inches. My advice is to take the detector to an area that is more open and doesn't have such a high concentration of trash and try it there. You should be getting better results from the Prizm than you are getting but it very well could be operator error.

I just have the stock coil it came with. Me being new to metal detecting I don't wanna blame it on the detector. I'll try that next time I make a test garden. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom