Metal Detecting Manufacturers on Facebook...

turtlefoot

Headstamp Addict
I was doing a bit of personal research tonight and decided to check something. I decided to see just what type of presence the actual manufactures had on Facebook. I am not talking the dealers, but actual manufacturers.

Here are the "likes" or "friends" that each of the manufacturers have as of 11:30pm on May 15, 2012:

Minelab - 2,902
Garrett - 2,441
Whites - 486
Tesoro - 54
Fisher - No Official Facebook Page that I could find
Teknetics - No Official Facebook Page that I could find
Bounty Hunter - No Official Facebook Page that I could find
First Texas - No Official Facebook Page that I could find

There is a lot being missed in marketing here. With one of the major metal detector dealers having over 11,000 "likes", I know that these manufacturers could be doing more in marketing.

This probably doesn't mean much to many, but online marketing strategies is becoming more and more mainstream in the field that I hope to get into.

Mods - If this is in the wrong place, please move it where it belongs.

Thanks,
Doug

Well, today I was reading a study that was done concerning how hard it is to benefit from marketing and advertising on Facebook. The sales are NOT what they expect.

Another article read that Facebook is turning into a MySpace type site, whatever that means. All I know is that I deleted myspace years ago because it was so ad heavy. The IPO of facebook will be the downfall of it. Manufacturers such as GM are pulling out of Facebook, soon others will follow.

Facebook ins't going anywhere Outward...:laughing:

The manufacturers who know the marketing side know where to put their products, hence why we all know the the blue F when we see it, it's everywhere, for a reason :)

Last edited:
The rich ones, who are the only ones that'll get a shot at buying Facebook stock during the IPO and then flip it a few hours later, will make a huge killing. Those that buy into Facebook on the secondary market will take a beating as the hype of the stock wears off. FWIW, GM just announced that they are stopping advertising on Facebook. Claim they see no tangible benefit.

I don't have hardly any "professional" training in marketing, so this is just personal observation and talking out of ignorance.

1. I feel that "social media" and social media advertising is here to stay. The social media and the advertising may evolve, but they are here to stay.

2. At this point in time, I feel the paid advertising on sites like Facebook is better suited for generating Web traffic as opposed to cold sales. I personally feel that Facebook advertising is also much better for niche markets like kayaking and metal detecting as opposed to general markets like automobile sales.

3. I personally feel that just about any company, especially retail companies, can benefit from the free exposure on the social media sites. I think companies that do not actively pursue the free exposure is potentially missing out on potential customers, word of mouth exposure and eventually sales.

When going to the "official" Web sites, Garrett was the only one that had a Facebook link that I could find. Many people that I know and have talked to, check their Facebook accounts several times a day, including at work. I personally feel that companies that keep a good, professional presence on Facebook will have a head start when it comes to possible sales for both new and repeat customers.

I know that there is a lot more involved in online advertising than opening a Facebook account and making frequent posts. I just think it is interesting that the major players in this hobby (and some of the not so major players) seem to lack interest in the free social media presence that they could have.

Not only do they seem to be lacking interest on the biggest social media site, I haven't seen them on hardly any of the hobby sites. I know that they dealers have a heavy presence, and that certain manufacturers have paid banner ads, but how often do you see a forum member that is officially from Minelab, Teknetics or Garrett (or any other major manufacturers) posting their finds or telling about their adventures (or misadventures).

Like I said, I know that this doesn't matter to many out here, but I find it sort of baffling and interesting.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom