• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Chain cent

If I dug it I'd of course know all the circumstances, along with what it looked like (in person), so I'd have an extremely good idea whether I thought it was the real deal. And if I felt it was I'd clean it up the best I could, put it in a 2x2, and forget about it. Not only do I say that's what I'd do, the post I put on a week or so ago about the coin I have going in the book, that's pretty much what happen. Some people suspected it was fake, even the guy who wrote the book was still processing how he felt about that particular stamp, but I knew all the facts and have absolutely no doubt it was a good one, so I popped it in a 2x2 and there it stayed for the next 12 years. I guess it was maybe 3 years ago it was sort of finalized that it would be in the book, but that's only a neat thing for me because I already know the whole story, don't need a book to tell me what I have. I should also add i have a little more experience in coins than just detecting so that helps a little when trying to make the right call, and I've learned to look at my own finds in the exact same way as if it was just a random one I had no attachment to. When you sell coins it's all about the money so it's easy to compare my own digs and know the interest level, and what someone would pay. When you get that ability your finds seem to be worth a whole lot less. :)

Thanks IP - Luckily I have no interest in selling what I find. Of course, if I were ever to stumble upon a gold piece or a CC Half Dollar like the one posted on here a while back, that would be a tough call but given those odds are rare, I'm very happy to ID my finds, put them in 2x2's and tuck them away... Cheers, BB

Thanks IP - Luckily I have no interest in selling what I find. Of course, if I were ever to stumble upon a gold piece or a CC Half Dollar like the one posted on here a while back, that would be a tough call but given those odds are rare, I'm very happy to ID my finds, put them in 2x2's and tuck them away... Cheers, BB

Disclaimer... I'm very far from a certified expert in coins or anything else for that matter, so everything I say is just opinion. But I've been through enough to have a pretty good handle on the basics.

I have sold some finds, but it was the right thing to do under the circumstances and I have no regret. Many people say they would never sell a find, but it's a whole other story when you have someone ready to right a big check for something you just dug out of the ground. For me it was how much I liked the item for my own collecting taste because I have kept finds just as valuable as the ones I sold, and could easily keep much more valuable if it was something I had great interest in. A large diamond ring with lots of diamonds I'd have sold even before it had time to dry after the cleaning!

This is no doubt an awesome find. :wincup: The spot this coin was found has given up MANY early coins, mostly King George pennies with some Draped bust coppers. We knew if any place was going to produce a Chain cent this was it. Its funny how we talked about it, but always wondered if it would actually happen, knowing it very well could happen.

This is no doubt an awesome find. :wincup: The spot this coin was found has given up MANY early coins, mostly King George pennies with some Draped bust coppers. We knew if any place was going to produce a Chain cent this was it. Its funny how we talked about it, but always wondered if it would actually happen, knowing it very well could happen.

Thanks buddy, That farm has been good to me over the years. Iv'e found some nice silver in there. A 1876 Half dollar, 1823 Bust dime, 1764 1/2 reale but the chain cent takes the cake.

I took a couple of better photos of my chain cent

I took a couple of better photos of my chain cent. They show a lot more detail than the first ones posted.

Attachments

• Cain Cr 022.jpg
    Cain Cr 022.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 276
  • Cain Cr 024.jpg
    Cain Cr 024.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 305
What ca I say that hasn't been said already? Extra super congrats on the find of a lifetime. I haven't found one in my lifetime yet. :D Way to go!

Hunt Happy!
Plug Martian

Back
Top Bottom