Finding Shipwrecks!

captdenden9380

Does anyone know of any good books that have maps of where shipwrecks are and alittle about each one? Looking more for wrecks right off of beachs on the east coast! thanks - Den

captdenden,
Years ago I was involved in Temple University's "Man & the Sea program, particularly involved with marine archeology. I started one of the 1st computer databases cataloging shipwreck data along the New Jersey coast. I personally cataloged over 5200 wrecks. There are no dedicated charts denoting wrecks. Your best bet are specialized fishing and wreck charts that are local to your areas of interest. Bear in mind that a lot of the listings and exact locations are inaccurate. These charts are marketed to the fisheman who do not know any better that may be seeking structure areas. The artificial reef listings are pretty accurate. I collected info from many sources and marked my own NOAA charts with accurate locations using both LORAN C and GPS coordinates. The key to success is to do your own research from various books, etc. much like the MD'ing research.

Regards,
Bill

Capt,

You can also try diving stores they usually have lists of wrecks that they take their clients to I know this from looking at their sites for a dry suit.

Back in the eighties, wreck sites were closely guarded secrets. I guess things are different now. One more thought. If you gan get your hands on any older Submarine navigation charts (OMNI) they denote lots of wrecks , but not beach wrecks. Many of these charts were declassified.
Local history is your best bet for beach / shoal wreck sites. There is an area off Jersey that holds many shoal wrecks. Coins occasionally still wash up on certain beaches.

WThesing have you or do you dive and detect wrecks?I have always wanted to take up scuba but the time and money deal have yet to line up.There are many wrecks here in the CapeFear,fryingpan shoals area that are known and charted.I feel sure there are many more uncharted or unfound wrecks due to the 30 miles of shallow shifting shoals.A friend has found many washed up coins on a remote island very close to here.We are thinking they must be coming from an undetected or unfound wreck near by.My thoughts are to follow the prevailing current in the opposite direction,detecting along the way,hopefully out to the main site.Is there any special coarses other than basic scuba I should take before starting such a project?

hermit

well it would take alittle money to start diving, i have not yet either sence timing for me is a factor, but i have been reading alot about wrecks and i would like to just search the beachs for things, there is some islands where i live and i have found a great book and maps marking where the ships are , and plus poeple are finding coins that aren;t from the time and places of the known wrecks, so where ever there is ship wrecks found there are more that aren't, but i am planing soon to take one of my boats to the islands and search, it will only be a 4 hour trip to get there so it should be fun and exciting, will post if i do find anything. Capt. Den

Capt.Den,
Good luck with that.4 hours to get to an island is a pretty good haul.
There once was a boat called the Minnow that went on a 3 hour tour.
Just kidding!
Coins from a different place and different time is why I want to dive.Like you said,There are many unfound wrecks out there.There is also a bunch of laws out there.I think if I did stumble on something,I may never mention it.Or at least the story and location would change a bit.

hermit

hermit, 4 hours is the good thing about it, not everyone can get there and they don;t have the boat and equipment to be safe enough, so that leaves more for me haha, i think i will bring my bro with me as well, he has venture across the Bay of Fundy a few years ago in the end of october, we were at one time a few of the youngest captains in the US, don;t think we are anymore, but maybe we will be the youngest treasure hunters to strike it rich$ LOL, well i will deff keep it postied on how it goes. I Can;t Wait! ttyl and thanks for the responces! Capt.Den

Capt & Hermit,
Sorry for the delay in reply, I hadn't noticed any activity on this thread. OOPS!!!
In response to your questions, I took up diving in the mid 70's and became a N.A.U.I. instructor in 1978. At that time I also had gotten my 1st boat. Fishing has been in my blood since I was a kid. By 1985 I had gotten my Masters License to 300 metric tons with ocean routes.
As far as wreck diving, it was mostly off the New Jersey coast. There are quite a few WW II casualties due to the German U Boat activity. I have retrieved a babbitt ingot off of the "San Saba" which was torpedoed by a WW I German sub. I have also retrieved morphine ampules and 30 cal rounds from the "City of Athens" which was torpedoed in WW II. There are quite a few old wooden wrecks in the area but nothing I have been on has been a "treasure catagory" wreck. Off N.J., there are approx 450 treasure class wrecks that have not been discovered. A treasure catagory wreck is classified as having at least 1/2 million in valuable cargo AT THE TIME OF SINKING. There were quite a few losses of British ships around the Rev. War period that were returning to England carrying tax revenues. My diving activities kind of came to a stop when my dive buddy was killed in a car accident some years back. The club I was a member of disbanded, and for this type of diving, you have to know what you are doing as well as have a buddy that is equally adept. Beyond basic scuba certification, 1st off I would recommend getting a N.A.U.I. or P.A.D.I. certification, as the training is very good. Next, you will need to get an Open Water certification, and beyond that an Advanced Diver certification. If you are considering wreck diving, you need to know what you are doing, or you are taking a huge risk. Diving the Atlantic is NOT like the Carribean. Often you have visibility less than 8 feet, sometimes only 2 to 3. The wreck sites have become catch alls for nets, fish line, etc that you can very easily become tangled in. You have to know how to handle the situations without panic. Penetration of a hulk should only be attempted by the highly trained, and as a team effort for safety reasons. I woulsd suggest getting the certifications and then learn the ropes with seasoned veterans before attempting your own expeditions.

I am into scuba and metal detecting. I have also started a club with like-minded people called NewEnglandExplorations. We will be diving an area with a high concentration of wrecks this summer. I will let you know what we find.

If your into shipwrecks then your going to need SCUBA

Back
Top Bottom