Very first day w/FBS nets a long awaited first.

Curbdog

Elite Member
I've been at this hobby since 2010. I started coin shooting and found my first relic (a Confederate Enfield minieball) while coin shooting in a Chattanooga,TN park. It's been primarily relic hunting ever since.

During this entire time I have NEVER recovered an Indian head cent. I've found Barbers and always wanted an Indian just to cross it off. Hunting partners would talk casually about finding "some Indians" along with other items, maybe not realizing just how bad I wanted that one Injun.

Got a new to me Safari and headed out. Watched a lot of videos, browsed a lot of forums before getting out. FBS is a different animal to the units I've run. I ran in ferrous sounds, auto sens. for now, and noise cancelled at every change. It paid off. Steady 33/34 (zinc range) with iron close by. I got excited when it showed 6" down and it was old dirt.

Finally, after 7 years......a 1901 Indian head cent makes a showing and I can finally cross this simple "white whale" off my to-do list!

Thank you all and HH to each of you.

Attachments

• 21768335_10209645131948459_3040631697397612634_n.jpg
    21768335_10209645131948459_3040631697397612634_n.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 21762126_10209645131988460_3469087646506201067_n.jpg
    21762126_10209645131988460_3469087646506201067_n.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 271
Ofcourse your gonna find the good stuff now!!!! Welcome to the dark side;) awesome find and congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, fellas for the kind replies!

The Safari is a whole different animal than I'm used to. You do have to swing it slower than just about any other unit I've had. The nuances in the sounds are going to take some time.

For those familiar with FBS units : I've heard targets that 7/10 times reads high and gives a good number but will drop a "thump" at least 3/10 of those times. I read from some that it's an iron false when those thumps are intermingled. The ground was pretty hard and just didn't feel like investigating one of those like I probably should have.

HH, all.

Thank you, fellas for the kind replies!

The Safari is a whole different animal than I'm used to. You do have to swing it slower than just about any other unit I've had. The nuances in the sounds are going to take some time.

For those familiar with FBS units : I've heard targets that 7/10 times reads high and gives a good number but will drop a "thump" at least 3/10 of those times. I read from some that it's an iron false when those thumps are intermingled. The ground was pretty hard and just didn't feel like investigating one of those like I probably should have.

HH, all.

The "thunk" happens most to me on very deep coins. I believe the sound is the machine recovering to threshold. At any rate if it happens at 2 angles and it reads deep....dig it up if it's close to a coin reading.

For 5 years an Indian Head has eluded me. I desperately wanted to find one.

Last month I met a woman who was curious about MDing and asked me to demonstrate. I took my ATP to her curbstrip and told her if I was lucky I might find a penny or two. Almost immediately I get a shallow penny signal by the sidewalk. I brushed off some sand, picked it up and handed it to her saying, " Here's your first find".

She says " Cool! 1887!"

I said, " You mean 1987!"

She said, " The back says One Cent!"

I said, " GIMME THAT THING!"

Yep. Found my first and gave it away.

Happy ending, she called me that night and insisted I take it back. I ended up trading her a beautiful harmonica reed for it.

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 132
Chipk, I identify with that kind of "luck." That's why I don't bet or play the lottery! :lol:

.....and IDXmonster, that reply is gonna change some things for me. Now I did go in a trashy area where a building was torn down a long time ago. I got a lot of those type signals in a small spot. It was too trashy for that pro coil there. To me that reinforced the probability of "junk.'

If I get over a more lone signal like those and approach it from different angles, I will dig them to see. A lot is going into re-learning target response with a Minelab vs......well, just about every other machine I've had!

I enjoy every minute of it too!

For those familiar with FBS units : I've heard targets that 7/10 times reads high and gives a good number but will drop a "thump" at least 3/10 of those times. I read from some that it's an iron false when those thumps are intermingled.

HH, all.

The "thunk" happens most to me on very deep coins. I believe the sound is the machine recovering to threshold. At any rate if it happens at 2 angles and it reads deep....dig it up if it's close to a coin reading.

Always wondered what they were !!!!!

Just wait until you really get to know that Safari the finds will keep coming. Then get yourself a NEL coil, you'll be blown away.

Back
Top Bottom