T lag bolts from playing fields?

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
I've found a number of these over the years in playing fields. What the heck are they for? :?:

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3844.jpg
    IMG_3844.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 426
I have ice anchors that look like that...

Used to hold the shanty from getting blown away...

<°)))>{

A friend I hunted with last week said there were metal markers buried in playing fields. When the grass overgrows from winter/spring, it helps the groundkeepers remark the yardage/field lines for the upcoming year. Could be one of those maybe?

I don't believe they're anything for the field or dirt. I mean come on, why a screw? Threads are too fine to get any purchase in soil for hold down power. Can you see some guy out there drilling pilot holes in the ground and threading that thing in. I guess if he couldn't get it to start he'd step on it to push it in, hey, wait a minute!
Maybe some remnant of something that occurred there before. Or where the soil was brought in from. Some activity that you'd need something like that and didn't want the hassle of carrying around a wrench. Temporary hanger of some sort.

I've probably found 1/2 dozen over 4 years all in playing fields (baseball/soccer). Tried to google them but didn't get far. I should have saved them for a group pic but just toss them...

They are to secure newly applied sections of turf in place until its root system adhere to surrounding turf sections. I thought every one knew that ?:?:

The only thing I found so far was t handle lag screws that loggers use to mark their load. Screw it in, hang on a light or flag and drive. Was the field put in after the area was logged out?

I've found about a half-dozen in fields as well. These were not in areas that had ANY logging.

I even showed it to a groundskeeper, who was clueless. Mostly, I've found them in baseball fields.

I've wondered if they aren't screwed into wood "things" as carrying handles of some sort... possibly for old sports equipment?

I've never found one in "new" condition.

Skippy

I still don't know what exactly its for, but, I got one now too...

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170927_213853.jpg
    IMG_20170927_213853.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 188
Maybe they are hardware from temporary vendor booths that are set up in fields for city carnivals or fairs. Maybe to secure tarp like banners and signage from blowing away or to secure tents to the ground?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170927-214023.jpg
    Screenshot_20170927-214023.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
They're more screws than bolts it looks like... so prob went into another material besides dirt, and prob not used for my previous guess...but darned if i know what they are....lol

The glaring difference between the OP's and ice anchors, and other examples, are, the threads almost go all the way to the handle..

<°)))>{

I don't believe they're anything for the field or dirt. I mean come on, why a screw? Threads are too fine to get any purchase in soil for hold down power. Can you see some guy out there drilling pilot holes in the ground and threading that thing in. I guess if he couldn't get it to start he'd step on it to push it in, hey, wait a minute!
Maybe some remnant of something that occurred there before. Or where the soil was brought in from. Some activity that you'd need something like that and didn't want the hassle of carrying around a wrench. Temporary hanger of some sort.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but I think the threads look about the same as a concrete screw. I have no idea how high jump, pole vault type of stuff is anchored down, but I could see something like that screwing into a hardpack cinder track.

Back
Top Bottom