Gold Ring in the Woods - Need Help with Hallmark

So Mid-1700's? That's crazy, and has to be a high-carat item...

The metal content will have very minimal influence on the value of this terrific find.

congratulations on your historical recovery, and your research to uncover the maker's mark id. :thumbsup:

I really like the inscription!

Holy Moly!!!! That is an absolutely AWESOME find. Being able to date it by the Maker's Mark is what makes history come alive. Very cool...a huge CONGRATS!!

Incredible find!

What did it ring up like on the deus? Also how deep

Bounced in the mid 30's on a custom sifter program. Straight line on the xy. Consistent, solid signal 360 degrees around. I thought for sure it was going to be a button. Wrong... Dig everything!

(4 inches down...)

-Tim

I keep coming back to this post to drool over the pics and read about the makers mark. I thought my 1915 ring was cool. Your find blows my mind.

That is an absolutely amazing find! Congrats!

This should be moved to the "Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds" section!

Amazing!
Where around the cellar hole did you find that ring? Was it inside? or far from the cellar hole? Just curious!

Great question!

I've pulled from this site alone, over a period of three seasons, seven large cents, (one a 1829 counterfeit) numerous buttons and shoe buckles, crotal bells and the usual do-dads from sites like this. All of which were hundreds, in some cases, one thousand + feet away from the actual cellar hole. Very rarely do you find the "good stuff" near the hole itself. It's where these farmers worked, took breaks on a rock, etc... do you find the "good stuff"

In this case, there was a clean, square break in a stone wall I was following where I crossed the road and started down an embankment that I've crossed three + times before. It was approximately 500 feet away from the cellar hole and about 25 feet from the road edge. The area kind of looks like a small rock waste pile where they were clearing pasture and where they were just chucking these small rocks and debris over the edge. I found the signal and made my usual 360 degree circle and decided to dig it as I thought for sure it would be a basic, low quality flat button. Wrong! Dug down, but only got around 4 to 5 inches due to some rocks and found that it was still in the hole. Got on my knees and swept it with the Pro Pointer, found the signal in the hole and scooped it out with my right hand. I found that one scoop moved it... Swept the scooped pile with the Pro Pointer and kicked the ring on edge and it looked as good as it went in. Stunning! Finding Gold never gets old!!! I looked at it and my first thought was , "Well, cool, gold, But I've found better!" I did a sweep with my finger inside the ring and saw the inscription. I tried to read it and mistakenly interpreted (Dyslexia) the word "Vinnie" for the word "Mine" for some reason. I threw it in my pouch and all I could keep thinking was the name "Vinnie"... "Why did some Italian guy loose a ring here in the 1820's? That bugged me for literally the whole afternoon until I realized what it actually said when I got home. Duh! And the rest is "History"... Now I'm on a quest to find out who John "Jonathan" Ball is.

If anyone has any info c/o John Ball, Pre Revolution silversmith in Boston, MA and Concord, MA who apprenticed under Captain Jacob Hurd in Boston 1737 to 1745, please do share!

Thanks again!

-Tim

WOW! That is the nicest find Iv'e seen posted in a long time!
That one deserves a proper appraisal as an antiquity and not just a piece of jewelry.
Big Congrats on a fantastic find!

Looks like old English but the Jeep looks cira 1990's. Wonder how that slipped off their hand ?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Excellent find Troy! So many of these wedding bands we find were only gold plated.

Looks like old English but the Jeep looks cira 1990's. Wonder how that slipped off their hand ?

Looks like it got the left side steering conversion too! ;) :roll:

Just wondering how deep was the Jeep and how long it took to dig it up and did he shake it in his scoop?

An amazing, incredible piece of history you found!!!

Curious, what is a mid 30s TID on a Deus, with respect to a nickel?

I am living in Oklahoma now, but grew up in PA, and I know where there's a cellar hole that looks almost EXACTLY like the one in your picture; in fact, your picture made me do a double-take! I have it on my list of places to hunt, but haven't done so, yet. I just might do it around Thanksgiving, now, thanks to your post, when we travel back home for the Holiday.

Thanks for the info about how you usually don't find the stuff right adjacent to the cellar hole, but out farther away. I will keep that in mind as I hunt the site.

Meanwhile, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :yes:

Steve

Back
Top Bottom